• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend convinced me to try Barrington's Kintamani. It is a really excellent coffee with a huge body that you'd normally associate with a Peet's coffee, but without the dark roast character that I know some don't like. Acid is low, and it's pretty fruit forward. The fruit goes pretty quickly, so use this coffee up, because its grassy/herbal character kind of dominates it after the fruit fades, and it's considerably less enjoyable.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What does that mean?

What do you think you will do about the offer?

Where is this? I am in New York frequently lately, looking to try something new.

Sorry, typing on an iPhone is annoying. I meant it would be the most unique cafe in the city. They are all pretty much one in the same in NYC these days. All of the same style coffee. To make matters worse they all pitch in and source beans together. You're drinking the same stuff at most of the places.

Kaladi coffee I buy online. There is only one place in NYC that pulls it, which is called Once Upon a Tart on Sullivan street. Text me, I'll buy you a shot.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What would you do differently? Sourcing your own beans is expensive and time consuming and most customers don't care that much

Knowledge is King

Reaction score

A friend convinced me to try Barrington's Kintamani. It is a really excellent coffee with a huge body that you'd normally associate with a Peet's coffee, but without the dark roast character that I know some don't like. Acid is low, and it's pretty fruit forward. The fruit goes pretty quickly, so use this coffee up, because its grassy/herbal character kind of dominates it after the fruit fades, and it's considerably less enjoyable.

Barrington's Kintamani (from Bali) is a great coffee. The strawberry note is like a mild Ethiopian natural but combined with the cedar/herbal notes, it's really a unique indonesian coffee.

For anyone looking for some Ninety Plus and other fancy/high end lots, Turning Point Coffee (from San Francisco) is a good source

I've also been meaning to report back on Fundamental Coffee in Seattle that I ordered. The roast profiles are in the very dark oily range but it's better than any Peet's or Starbucks Reserve I've had. Plus you can email directly with the guy who is roasting and sourcing the coffee. Roasts this dark aren't my thing but it's cool to be able to buy from a small, quality focused roaster who is roasting to order in a style that is pretty hard to find at this point.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Barrington's Kintamani (from Bali) is a great coffee. The strawberry note is like a mild Ethiopian natural but combined with the cedar/herbal notes, it's really a unique indonesian coffee.

Any Indonesian that doesn't taste like dirt is interesting for me. They're either fantastic or all I get is "dirt." The Chromatic Coffee Papua New Guinea Kunjin is one of the few I've liked from that region.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't think I've ever had a non dirt tasting one. Been drinking a lot of burundis. They all have the kinda red fruit type taste to it that I quite like.

Also went to this cafe today. They had some Nicaraguan single origin espresso but the barista said their single origin espresso beans are roasted darker than their drip beans. Gave it a try. Was so good. Had this chocolateyness that I've never had in south/Central Americans. Like orange blossom type flavors too. Favorite place I've been to so far. Sparkling water with espresso. They had those 20k spirit machines too.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quote: I know Kaladi claims the difference in their products is due to air roasting.

Had a full weekend in New York and didn't have time. Went to Little Collins for the first time and can say I have found my go to place for mid town. My wife loved the cold brew. Had a drip and a macchiato. Not mind blowing but good.
Happy to have a choice other than Zibeto (always bitter) or blue bottle (mediocre at best) at Rockefeller Center

Very impressed with the Little Collins food offerings.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to look into getting a double boiler espresso machine in the prosumer but not La Marzocco category.

Main contenders right now are Profitec 700 vs. La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi with wood panels (or Clive Coffee's Lucca A53 which is almost the same). Narrowed down to Profitec out of the E61 group machines because Alex Duetto's drip tray is too huge (low clearance), Quickmill Vetrano has copper boiler instead of stainless steel (call me silly but I find the lined copper a tad disconcerting).

This is Styleforum, so I will admit that I am a huge sucker for the wood panels on the Vivaldi. And even with wood panels included, Mini Vivaldi / Lucca is still cheaper than the Profitec.

So I guess the main question is, am I going to be able to taste the difference between the two machines if I only make espressos and macchiatos?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly don't think you'd be able to tell unless side by side and even then probably not. I would just go with ease of use and then looks.

My machine looks almost exactly like the profitec 700 (sides are switched and dial placement is different) and I absolutely hate the steam wand cuz it only goes side to side. I want to mod it with a ball joint so bad.

If you're making macchiatos only tho do you really need a double boiler?

Holy. Did not know you can make microfoam with a French Press

https://instagram.com/p/BFQAykhp8iW/

Last edited:

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hated temp surfing, and I want to be able to make precise adjustments to the brew temperature. So double boiler seemed the way to go.

MetManChris

Reaction score
Any recs for coffee shops / roasters in Denver?
Corvus.

It's truely great. Its one of m top 5 coffee shops in the country.

1: Sump, St Louis
2: Intellegentsia Venice Beach
3: Corvus, Denver
4: Stumptown, Portland
5, Sightglass, San Fransisco.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads