• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any recommendations for what to look for in a good decaf? I usually mix my beans about 50/50 because the way I make coffee (single cup drip cone) it's already super strong. But I've found a lot of decaf beans have a flat, "stale" flavor. In San Francisco, Bicycle Coffee Co makes a pretty tasty decaf but I can't always find it. Sometimes I'll try to mix the same varietal in caf/decaf, but not always.

I don't know much about the different decaffeinating methods or what makes a good vs. bad tasting decaf.

Last edited:

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a bag of Barefoot Coffee's Dominion Ethiopian. Here's their blurb:

It's so damned good, I'm ready to give up espresso because it is more interesting and pleasant through the Aeropress than most espressos I've had. I don't get the flower notes, but the fruit notes and especially a molasses note are very prominent. The acidity is also quite prominent, but well-balanced with everything else. It has a great mouthfeel with juicy being appropriate --- the acidity really helps with that. It's like a party in your mouth.

The best preparation for me is Aeropress with 31 g of fine ground (coarser than espresso, and a bit finer than fine drip brew --- balance it by the bitterness), 180F water (extraction), paper filter, upside down config of the Aeropress. Some stirring, about a minute of steeping. I find the right combination primarily by balancing the bitterness. If it's too bitter, use some combo of less stirring, shorter steep time, coarser grind, or cooler water. If it's not, do the opposite.

I was surprised by the paper filter, because I'd been using a Coava metal filter, but the paper filter gives a cleaner extraction which really helps the various flavors stand out. The metal filter gives more of a coffee taste, if that makes any sense at all.

--Andre

Thanks again for the metal filter recommendation -- tried it over the weekend and it was very good when making a full aeropress cylinder. I haven't tried it for just one cup yet, but don't expect any problems.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I alternate between a chemex and a french press; do I need an aeropress as well?

lefty

seanchai

Reaction score

I alternate between a chemex and a french press; do I need an aeropress as well?

lefty
You probably don't *need* one, but they're pretty inexpensive (even with the Able Disk mentioned above) and you can get interesting things out of beans that you won't get from a press pot or the Chemex. I brewed a superstar Kenya Kangunu tonight with the Aeropress and Disk - it brought out the sugary sweetness without the citrus you'd get from brewing this coffee pretty much any other way. Interesting!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone use a Hario? Could you throw this in to compare with the other brewing devices/methods.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
You probably don't *need* one, but they're pretty inexpensive (even with the Able Disk mentioned above) and you can get interesting things out of beans that you won't get from a press pot or the Chemex.

I brewed a superstar Kenya Kangunu tonight with the Aeropress and Disk - it brought out the sugary sweetness without the citrus you'd get from brewing this coffee pretty much any other way. Interesting!

Thanks, I may pick one up.

Anyone use a grinder cleaner like Grindz?

lefty

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

seanchai

Reaction score

Quote:

Thanks, I may pick one up.

Anyone use a grinder cleaner like Grindz?

lefty
I use dry white rice, an idea that I think began as a barista joke but actually works well. Cheaper than Grindz and no chemicals.
Does anyone use a Hario? Could you throw this in to compare with the other brewing devices/methods.
Which Hario product? I've had a V60 for about a year and used it every day for the first four months I had it, but despite tweaking everything I could think of - grind, timing, rhythm, pour speed - I never got a great cup of coffee out of it. Some baristas swear that it's a great tool, but IMO a Beehouse dripper or even one of the cheap Melittas is an easier route to the same end. A great grinder is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for a good cup of V60.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
I use dry white rice, an idea that I think began as a barista joke but actually works well. Cheaper than Grindz and no chemicals.

Really? I would have thought rice would gum it up but a quick search seems to confirm. Thanks.

lefty

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lefty
It's been said before, but... while you don't need it, you can get some nice flavors out. You get a much brighter cup than you do with a French press (my usual way of making coffee, I can't be bothered with the Chemex.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chemex produces a pretty clean cup of coffee. But I'll give the aeropress a shot.

lefty

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chemex produces a pretty clean cup of coffee. But I'll give the aeropress a shot.

lefty
It does, but I stand by my statement. I like to mix it up. The French press makes a "richer" cup, imho. I don't spend nearly as much time researching my coffee as I do clothing, though, so take my opinion for what its worth.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Use an espresso machine and have a grinder at work and occasionally someone wants a cup of coffee. Want to make a single cup or two, quick, easy with minimum clean up. Have a french press at home but don't want to use it for this. Aeropress, Hario pour over, Chemex all get great online reviews but I hear "meh" from the people I know who use these methods. Just want an easy method for a tasty cup of coffee that is not time consuming to prepare or clean up after.

Just ordered some things online and they sent me a Grindz packet to sample and fill out a survey about the product. Have not used before. May try it this weekend and report any benefits to using this. Thanks for the rice tip.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks again for the metal filter recommendation -- tried it over the weekend and it was very good when making a full aeropress cylinder. I haven't tried it for just one cup yet, but don't expect any problems.

You're welcome, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I find myself vacillating between the paper and metal filter, depending on what I feel like drinking.

One thing about the Aeropress is that they recommend way lower (like almost 30F lower) water temps than what most people use in other methods. That will certainly affect its taste and extraction qualities. I know many enthusiasts use water just off-boil, but for my tastes and grind sizes, that makes it too damned bitter. But the great thing about coffee is that you can try lots of things out very quickly, and get to something you like.

I am a pourover novice, but my impression is that there are a lot of variables to control, and it can be difficult to make a consistent cup.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads