• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
some 100 km north of moscow in the swamps

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for a good a hand grinder for v60? The commandante seems to garner good reviews. I recently picked up quite cheaply a a second hand hario ceramic v60 and the buono copper kettle, I think the grinder I bought a few years ago in Istanbul grinds too finely - the brews end up very bitter (using Scott Hao’s method). Have tried using slightly cooler water and less coffee, the result is less bitter but much weaker than what I’d like.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1zepresso- JX works for me for pour over and was recommended in this thread earlier.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people using to make cold brew?

Cracked my Hario Mizudashi the other day, wondering if there's anything better or if I should just order another one. Would like to be able to make at least 800ml at a time.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use my French press. Works fine.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for a good a hand grinder for v60?

For a conical burr hand grinder, the best is said to be the Comandante, but I've not tried that myself. I've used the Kinu M47 with pourover burrs, and the OE Lido 2. The Kinu makes understated (some might say boring) coffee, but it's pretty inoffensive and blandly sweet. The Lido brings out the character more and has a bit more acid bite. I use an OE Apex these days, and that's the best I've tried so far: it's said to be on par with the Comandante, but is a ghost tooth flat burr grinder, so I expect its particle distribution to be pretty different than a conical burr grinder's.

For my tastes, conical burr grinders, assuming they're fundamentally fine (eg. no burr wobble, good burrs, etc.), taste more alike than different, so I'm really curious about the Comandante. It's widely held that the next big step for drip coffee is going to a flat burr grinder. The reasoning is that conical burrs produce a bi-modal particle distribution the finer you get (and with things like the Melodrip and Tricolate, you will be pushing your grind finer), while flat burrs tend to be unimodal. Except for the Baratza Vario and Fellow Ode, good flat burr grinders are usually well over $1k, and except for the OE Apex (which is also well under $1k), are not amenable to hand grinding.

The Ode might be the answer for you if you have the space or can overcome the reasons why you might want a hand grinder.

Last edited:

supermang

Reaction score
Anybody brewing with the Hario Switch these days?

Immersion-Dripper-SWITCH-3.jpg

These things finally came back in stock on the Hario website, managed to snag the larger 03 size. Gotta say that in only a few short days of use, the switch fully dethroned the Kalita Wave as my new pourover brewer of choice. That full immersion really adds a ton of character and body. Interested in trying a cloth or metal filter next

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anybody brewing with the Hario Switch these days?

View attachment 1664465

These things finally came back in stock on the Hario website, managed to snag the larger 03 size. Gotta say that in only a few short days of use, the switch fully dethroned the Kalita Wave as my new pourover brewer of choice. That full immersion really adds a ton of character and body. Interested in trying a cloth or metal filter next
Yup. I dig how sweet my cups are.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically speaking, pourover like V60, Kalita, etc. is not immersion brewing: it's percolation brewing. Switch as you mention is an immersion brewer, like a French press and Clever, and shouldn't be called a pourover brewer.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Homme If your current grinder is not great you could try to use two vessels. Capture the water from the wetting phase and then switch the brewer to the other vessel and finish the brewing. Taste the coffee and then try adding back some of the wetting/bloom water to taste. Theory is that fines will get over extracted fairly easily right off the bat and get captured by first phase.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ tried this this morning, worked pretty well, thanks!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Gagne's posted his Aeropress recipe, and it's not for the impatient with a 9-minute steep time. I'll be trying it for this afternoon's coffee.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cracked and bought a comandante, first tested this morning. Don’t know why I waited so long, night and day compared with my previous brews. Would definitely recommend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads