• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

supermang

Reaction score
For drip, this Chinese no-name brand grinder looks very promising. Big thread on Home Barista with a lot of satisfied customers.

It appears to be the cheapest grinder that has the "ghost burr" similar to much more expensive Fuji Royal grinders - really solid burrs for any kind of pourover method.

For espresso, can't go wrong with the Niche Zero; love mine and use it every day. Best grinder under like $1,300

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is too much even for @otc

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grind speed is known to affect grind quality. There're also some issues with how quickly the beans are fed into a grinder, with some people hand feeding beans. (But don't worry they're mostly tame.)

supermang

Reaction score
This is too much even for @otc

What do you mean "too much"? You do know that this is a forum where we talk expensive ass clothing and other non-essential luxury purchases right :rolleyes2: $700 for a high quality coffee grinder is totally worth it

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you mean "too much"? You do know that this is a forum where we talk expensive ass clothing and other non-essential luxury purchases right :rolleyes2: $700 for a high quality coffee grinder is totally worth it
So the reason we love otc is he sometimes goes overboard with analysis or explanations for simple things (I make him sound more analytical and longwinded than he is but it is his SF persona). Anyway, even though he likes to trot all kinds of hooey and **** he would never get two grinders then gather data and chart it for SF........I hope.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities." - Frank Lloyd Wright

stro

Reaction score
wife likes her baratza encore for french press. it was less than $200. but she was using a very old and ****** blade grinder before, so i suspect she would be just as happy with any grinder upgrade, possibly even including a halfway decent mortar and pestle.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good long time. Baratza is also great about servicing their grinders, and besides the price/performance of their grinders, their service is another thing that really stands out about them.

Baratza Encore is comparable. I have a 1st gen Aergrind, and it is agricultural in build quality: sharp edges on the crank arm, that can catch and tear off your nail, bottom floor of the catch can falls off, etc. I understand it's improved since then.

Do you or anyone else know why I have to open the gearbox to upgrade my burr?? I can just unscrew the wing nut and pop the new one on!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you or anyone else know why I have to open the gearbox to upgrade my burr?? I can just unscrew the wing nut and pop the new one on!
@losrockets
There are a multitude of videos on YouTube showing/explaining how to change burrs on all the grinders they make

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Despos every video I've seen involves taking the unit apart. I literally unscrewed the wingnut, swapped the burr, and screwed it back on, and went on my merry way grinding coffee. I'm just disconcerted my method was so easy when all I've seen are these complex instructions.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Lido3 still the consensus for a grinder for a French press sub-200?

I just picked up a 1zpresso grinder based on positive sentiment here and I liked that it was mainly metal construction. Grinds really well. Quite quick to use and distribution seems very good. I was concerned the hopper was too small as I couldn't fit 30g of beans in in one go, but it's absolutely trivial to add more beans mid grind. Nice to see that hand grinders have improved since the budget Hario one I picked up years ago.

Seems like it'll last based on build quality. Quite pleased so far with the few cups I've made with it in the pour over and french press range. If I was making more than 600ml of coffee I think the size might be too small. Compramise there as well as the ease of adjustment vs the dial on my old electric grinder. But I'd check it out if the Lido was one of the considerations.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm extremely excited by this:

And George Howell Coffee (who was one of the jurists in the selection process) just announced that they got a lot of the coffee, and it will be out in a couple of months. The story of coffee in Yemen is also really beautiful.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So Nespresso now has a machine capable of pour-over coffee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads