• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My city has a tool library, so you can borrow that tool you need once a decade for a weird task. I have not used that, but it's so cool.
That is cool. I think my county system has that too, and "maker spaces" if I recall correctly.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is cool. I think my county system has that too, and "maker spaces" if I recall correctly.
In Canberra we have “Mens Sheds” carpentry workshops which are sponsored by government and run as a community resource centres.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget there’s a book thread here as well.

Sir Jack II

Reaction score
Karamazov was funny? It's kind of sad and existential if I remember right. Master and Margarita, however, was very funny.

Yeah the first time I read the Brothers, when I was 19 and it was all exhilaratingly over my head, I keyed into the high philosophical/existential ideas: the Mutiny chapter, the Grand Inquisitor, Ivan's hallucinations, Alyosha's faith struggles. But now I understand that Mrs. Khokhlakova is an unwitting comic genius. And that Dmitry’s odyssey for the 3,000 rubles is high comedy. Or right off the bat (pretty much), Fyodor Karamazov's outrageous needling of the freethinking Miusov at the monastery: hilarious.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS further to my post about Goulds Book Arcade. I was talking with a friend this afternoon who told me my local MP paid tribute to both the man and bookstore in federal parliament after he died in 2011:

Bob did live through interesting times. He was one of three people who chased down and restrained the man who tried to kill Arthur Calwell ( then leader of the ALP) after an anti-conscription rally in 1966. His bookstores were raided for stocking such scurrilous works as Philip Roth’s Portnoy’s Complaint and pictures of Michelangelo’s David.

Most students who attended the University of Sydney have a story about Gould’s Books. Mine came when I was walking down an aisle and brushed past two precarious stacks of books on either side. Both collapsed on me, trapping me for about five minutes, until Bob heard my cries for help and ambled over.

cr2596

Reaction score
There’s this book on city planning. Something about the life and death of big cities. But, when I search it, the only thing that pops up are used options, even through Amazon. Considering, if I I went into my local bookstore and asked if they had a copy, you think it’d get me laid?

I’m 6ft for reference.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget there’s a book thread here as well.

Refusing the mainstream is in the finest literary tradition.

emptym

Reaction score
There’s this book on city planning. Something about the life and death of big cities. But, when I search it, the only thing that pops up are used options, even through Amazon. Considering, if I I went into my local bookstore and asked if they had a copy, you think it’d get me laid?

I’m 6ft for reference.
The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs. She and my favorite philosopher/theologian were good friends. There have been books, articles, even whole conferences relating their work.

Re Bros K, I taught it 10 yrs ago in a small seminar and am repeating it this spring for the first time. Iammatt/Itstillmatt recommended the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation years ago and I've stuck with it. Every year I use the Hackett collection of excerpts The Grand Inquisitor with Related Chapters from the Bros K. Of course, Zossima is my favorite.

A Russian lit prof friend recommended The Master and Margarita to me years ago, and recently a Buddhist priest did. Must be time to read it.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs. She and my favorite theologian were good friends.

Re Bros K, I taught it 10 yrs ago in a small seminar and am repeating it this spring for the first time. Iammatt/Itstillmatt recommended the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation years ago and I've stuck with it. Every year I use the Hackett collection of excerpts The Grand Inquisitor with Related Chapters from the Bros K. Of course, Zossima is my favorite.

A Russian lit prof friend recommended The Master and Margarita to me years ago, and recently a Buddhist priest did. Must be time to read it.
The Russians made a TV miniseries of M&M and it was quite well done.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ this thread. :laugh: Definitely one of the best I've read on here in a while.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I make no bones about being a huge fan of DWW and his website, and this latest post particularly spoke to me, as "bookcore" is pretty much the way I've been dressing for the last couple years, despite not having a proper term to describe it. Heres a pic I posted on the SW&D WAYWT thread a few months back which I think unintentionally fits well into this category. Everything is thrifted, though high quality stuff. Vintage raglan sleeve tweed coat, western pearl snap denim shirt, tweed jacket and trousers and vintage logger boots.
45855641-E3D1-41D6-995C-9D4290BF6DB0.jpeg

E322C75C-9340-4F69-88D8-24669AC2B493.jpeg

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again, (as someone else said) the old forum curmudgeons have taken all the fun out of something that is supposed to be light-hearted. But I have to say, reading everyones comments reminds me of this forum circa the mid 00s, which is a good thing. I find it endlessly entertaining watching people out themselves as the uncool nobs they are. Guys, get over yourselves (you know who you are).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads