• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Les Copains

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about these ties. I saw a few patterns i like on the internet but don't really know much about the brand? Are they worth $60-70 each? What brand of ties are they most similar too?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about this brand too, as about 9-12 months back the Filene's Basements in DC got in large shipments of Les Copains. Some of it looked pretty nice, but I didn't bite as I had/have no experience with the brand and it was still priced pretty high.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
My discount retailer in Japan sells Les Copains ties for about US$30.  The construction of the ties I saw was to my liking, but none of the patterns was appropriate for my purpose.  There were quite a few pastels, oranges and pinks.  If one of the ties were in a color I liked, I wouldn't hesitate to get it for $30.

But, if they were  $70, I'd wait to save a bit and get another Carlo Franco tie.

Just my two cents....

Bic

Bags

Reaction score
I have a Les Copains tie I picked up in Rome about two years ago.  I knew nothing about the brand name then (and I still don't) but I just liked the look and feel of the particular tie.  If I recall correctly, I paid about 60 euros.

I like the texture and the thickness, and it ties a good knot.  My only complaint is that on the particular tie I have, the silk seems somewhat fragile and I fear it could be prone to snags.

All in all, it seems like a respectable tie for what I paid, but for me, it was mostly to have a souvenir from my trip to Rome.  If you say you've found them for $60-70, that would be definitely at the upper limit of what I would pay for them, and then only if it were one I really liked.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Les Copains is primarily a designer of women's fashions. I think they have a store at Madison and 68th.

Etruscan

Reaction score
I have an apple green Les Copains tie that I was happy to find at Filene's Basement for very short money (but then I try to spend less than $20 on a tie). I don't know about their women's wear, but Les Copains seems to do a lot of knits (sweaters, polo shirts and the like) in addition to sportcoats and the occasional suit. Interestingly, while colors and cut are youthful, often vividly so, the detailing of their tailored garments seems utterly traditional (I can't speak to the construction). I hope this information is helpful to you.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's an ebay seller who offers "LES COPAINS by Zegna" ties. Is there a relationship between Les Copains and Zegna? I had assumed from his ads that Les Copains is just a line of ties offered by Zegna.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have assorted items by Les Copains, most of them purchased from Daffy's in NYC. Not sure where it is sold at retail.

The main line is well made, well styled conservative stuff, sort of Brooks Brothers Goes to France. It is little known in the US, and is undervalued on ebay.

At Daffy's, the shirts, which supposedly retail for 120-140, go for 30 or 40, which is a good value.

There is also a Jeans Les Copains line.

I have no experience with the ties, however.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's an ebay seller who offers "LES COPAINS by Zegna" ties.  Is there a relationship between Les Copains and Zegna?  I had assumed from his ads that Les Copains is just a line of ties offered by Zegna.
It's funny you say that, because I am wearing my one and only Les Copains today today and I was just thinking about how much it reminds me of my Zegna ties.

I'd say it's very much on a par with Zegna, clearly a notch below my Brioni and Charvet ties, but way ahead of my Armani ties.

The one I' mearing is a chocolate with baby blue flowers. It's silk but has a knitted texture. Conservative tie and it works well with a baby blue dress shirt. I bought the tie on Bluefly for like $40 or something. Well worth it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They have tons of Les Copains ties that have pretty nice designs at Century 21 for under $30, maybe even $20 IIRC. Definitely some of the best looking ties at C21, considering the disgusting patterns they usually have available.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Would concur with the generally postive comments made about these ties, esp if you can find something you like at a low price point. I have two - one bright salmon pink and one a gold/tan, both solids with a really interesting texture/weave - that I got on ebay for about $30-35 each. They tie a good knot, look sharp, and the quality seems to be there in terms of construction. At that price, I'm more than happy with what I have

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
There's an ebay seller who offers "LES COPAINS by Zegna" ties. Is there a relationship between Les Copains and Zegna? I had assumed from his ads that Les Copains is just a line of ties offered by Zegna.

Yes, that seller claims they are in fact made by Zegna (not one of Zegna's lines). While that is entirely possible, I have never been able to verify this fact. From the Les Copains ties I have seen in discount stores, I would say they a notch below EZ. Nice ties, especially at $20-$30 but not quite Zegna.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With the proliferation of nice ties readily available on steep discount, I wouldn't pay $60-$70 for any RTW tie unless I had to have it because of the pattern. For that kind of money (well, just a little more), I'd go bespoke from Mulberrywood.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTW, where do you guys get your nice ties at discount? I generally look for something at Century 21 or once-a-year sales by good designers, but are there other places to get them on a regular basis (i.e. not an annual event, but rather a store or site)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads