• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leica M7 vs Leica M6

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a Leica. I wanted to get Leica peoples opinions and advice so I thought i should just make a thread.

First of all I am not sure which one I should get exactly. I do not care for auto exposure as I will not use it. Therefore I am leaning towards the M6. Is there any other reason that I should look at the M7?

Also,
The I do not know whether I should go for the TTL or the Classic. The classic also has a built in meter, right?, its just not TTL. What would you guys recommend? Whats the difference. What is a better meter in your experience?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
The M6 TTL has TTL flash capability. The other difference from the classic is that the shutter speed dial is larger and rotates in the opposite direction. It is easier to turn the shutter speed dial without taking your eye from the viewfinder (but I still do this with my classic).

The M6 classic meters through the lens.

The M7 auto will meter shutter speeds down to 32 seconds, I believe. The problem with this is that when you load a new roll of film and advance the first couple of frames to zero with the lens cap on, you will have to wait the full 32 sec if it's on auto -- major design flaw. The M7 also has a shutter release lock.

The Leica Ms require a bit of a learning curve. When I put a similar question to the Leica Users' Forum, the M6 was the overwhelming recommendation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads