• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leica M6 and Lens

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a Secondhand Leica M6 ttl, or M6 with a Leica Summilux or Summicron aspherical lens, 28 or 35 mm.

Where would be the best (reasonable price with good reputation) place to get one from in the UK or USA?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keh.com are good; alternatively you can try the classifieds of Photo.net. I have bought and sold through there many times.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I think the M6 is too lightweight. I mean, why is it so light?

A proper rangefinder shouldn't be so light. Apparently they don't use brass, Leica only reserves that for the MP. Also, the finishing doesn't seem on par with the M3.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the information. It is for my son who is starting a career and seems to think this is what he needs.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I actually just bought one on Ebay and got a new 35 Summicron ASPH locally. I'll use it until I get an MP probably sometime next year.

The reason the M6 is so light is that the top plate, etc. is made of a zinc alloy. This also means it's prone to a kind of corrosion called "zincfrass." From what I've read, this particularly affects the earlier models.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lk, have you ever thought of pimping your Leica with a laser range finder? It would be more accurate, no?
tounge.gif

iridium7777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
... Apparently they don't use brass, Leica only reserves that for the MP

do you realize you're talking about two different models here of which M6 is no longer produced!? how exactly can they reserve all their brass if there is no M6 to put it on?

could you also please explain in what way does the finish of M6 lack to that of M3?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iridium7777
do you realize you're talking about two different models here of which M6 is no longer produced!? how exactly can they reserve all their brass if there is no M6 to put it on? could you also please explain in what way does the finish of M6 lack to that of M3?
Leica has, for some time, not used brass in their M-models, and the M6 was no exception; apparently they only reserve brass materials for their MP model which is supposed to be the "purist" edition since it lacks a meter and other electronic configurations. However, even the MP is far lighter in heft than the old M3s, or for the sakes of the discussion, the original MP, which was marketed towards professional journalists. The M3's body was done in brass and finished in chrome which I believe to be a more difficult method of finishing than what the M6 or later Ms have. Also, there is a certain--intangible if you will--delicacy and refinement that the M6 lacks and which the earlier M-series cameras possess, such as the M1 or M2. Lots of people have also complained about things breaking off their newer Leicas, which is not a problem associated with early M-series cameras. Interestingly, some also claim any Leicas as cheap; instead they hold up the more idiosyncratic Zeiss Contax as the supreme rangefinder as it used a variety of expensive finishing techniques in addition to the long rangefinder beam, which was a costly piece of solid construction. In fact the company overall lost money on their cameras.

iridium7777

Reaction score
i'm sure you're quiet knowledgeable on other matters of style, but with regards to the leica m i don't think you know what you're talking about.

leica mp does have a built in light meter, which does comprise of electronics... perhaps you're talking about "electronic configurations" of leica m7 which additionally has auto exposure?

either way, your statement with regards to "reservation" is about as asinine as me saying toyota only reserves their hybrid engines to the prius model and not to a '92 camry.

do you have much experience with shooting an m3 and m6? do you own a leica m for that matter?

has the lighter weight significantly hindered your ability to take photos? to be honest, and not to be rude, you just seem to be throwing in your 5 cents just to show that you know something, of which you've read a glimpse somewhere else.

and if you do, and you honestly went for an m3 because it was heavier than an m6 and now you feel inferior to a zeiss owner, i feel sad because you're probably missing out on a whole point of a range finder.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
Leica has for some time not used brass in their M-models, and the M6 was no exception; apparently they only reserve brass materials for their MP model which is supposed to be the "purist" edition since it lacks a meter and other electronic configurations. However, even the MP is far lighter in heft than the old M3s, or for the sakes of the discussion, the original MP, which was marketed towards professional journalists.

The M3's body was done in brass and finished in chrome which I believe to be a more difficult method of finishing than what the M6 or later Ms have. Also, there is a certain--intangible if you will--delicacy and refinement that the M6 lacks and which the earlier M-series cameras possess, such as the M1 or M2. Lots of people have also complained about things breaking off their newer Leicas, which is not a problem associated with early M-series cameras.

iridium7777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
I am looking for a Secondhand Leica M6 ttl, or M6 with a Leica Summilux or Summicron aspherical lens, 28 or 35 mm.

Where would be the best (reasonable price with good reputation) place to get one from in the UK or USA?

your best bet, as already states would be to shop in the classifieds of one of the photo forums. prices will be cheaper than keh and ebay and you'll get a decent product.

also, depending on which view finder you get on the m6 you might not have the frame lines for 28.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iridium7777
i’m sure you’re quiet knowledgeable on other matters of style, but with regards to the leica m i don’t think you know what you’re talking about. leica mp does have a built in light meter, which does comprise of electronics... perhaps you're talking about "electronic configurations" of leica m7 which additionally has auto exposure? either way, your statement with regards to "reservation" is about as asinine as me saying toyota only reserves their hybrid engines to the prius model and not to a '92 camry. do you have much experience with shooting an m3 and m6? do you own a leica m for that matter? has the lighter weight significantly hindered your ability to take photos? to be honest, and not to be rude, you just seem to be throwing in your 5 cents just to show that you know something, of which you've read a glimpse somewhere else. and if you do, and you honestly went for an m3 because it was heavier than an m6 and now you feel inferior to a zeiss owner, i feel sad because you're probably missing out on a whole point of a range finder.
Well, I always thought that the Leica MP didn't have a meter. In fact, it would be better if it didn't since I'm not a fan of internal meters. And I'm not sure why an M7 even has something like auto-exposure; it's like those cars that have some sort of pointless electronic control built into the monstrously thick-rimmed steering wheel. I don't see what the controversy is about; Leica doesn't use brass for their regular-line models. They only use it for the MPs. I've no idea about what Toyota use in their cars. I've actually owned two Leica Ms, both M3s and do use them. However, I will say that my primary rangefinder cameras have been a LTM III and a Zeiss Contax IIa which I actually prefer to the M. The III is especially suited for street photography because of the small size. The Contax I like because of its refinement and rather luxe look. Like my pens and watches, I prefer my machinery heavy. The heavier the better as I'm no fan of lightweights which does hinder my ability to take photos. I have particularly picky and esoteric habits--I won't buy something because I didn't like the label--and something like a camera's weight does influence my method of going about things, and if you feel sad about my preferences, then I think it's not me who has the issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads