• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaving label on sleeve, is it a trend ?

bobby jonathan

Reaction score
I use to only see, some on the subway leaving labels on suit or, coat sleeves who appeared to be, people who knew no better, likely because of economics. Like a security guard, or a guy who at age 40 decided, he wanted to dress like a pimp. But yesterday, I was working with this woman who, is in her 20s and working in the, adjunct of fashion; a clueless young ting perhaps but she doesn't talk much, and I lack her credit report to profile more thoroughly. Anyways, as the day grew dim and to a close, I saw her arrange her Wilfred scarf in a full length mirror getting ready to depart and that she orchestrated the drape so, the Wilfred label would show, around her left shoulder blade.... then a few mins later stuck, at the elevator I spied her, while she looked downcast, perhaps listening to my podcast? that she left both the Balmain labels on her, cashmere overcoat. How gauche? You might think, as I did in a moment of judgement I rather not indulge; but then I wondered further if this was just someone young, trying to figure out their way without parental control, or someone who did this because the instazeitgeist told her to ?

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From your description it sounds like you're in a major city.

I'm just baffled at like... are these people *trying* to get mugged?? (or so oblivious due to never being a victim of crime)...

Or do the meth/fent heads these days only know of Rolex, Gucci, and LV??

St1X

Reaction score
I always thought of these people as someone extremely insecure and thus in a constant search of a validation. Since usually they don't represent much as a person (shallow af) they seek for validation with the help of a brand logos. Miserable show...

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has always been this way, though I’ve seen it most often with young men. Most of them just don’t know.

I think it is reasonable that many just don't know any better, so advisable to be charitable and give the benefit of doubt.

i.e. as the label is *sewn* on they might assume it's meant to stay there.

FPB

Reaction score
When I was 18, I worked in a clothing store for a few months. People would leave the labels on, wear the clothes, and return them. If possible, wash your clothes before you wear them!! That said, your scenario sounds like some bizarre form of showing off.

A12321

Reaction score
I even remove the brand labels from inside my jackets and pants. I hate seeing brand labels. I usually replace them with a monogram patch to hide the old previous stitching.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's more common than you think. Every winter I see men and women wearing an overcoat with the label. I once told a man that you should remove it, he said why? It's the name tag. I just left it at that.

I see it EVERY single winter. I don't care, I just carry on with my day

anaxagoras

Reaction score
i.e. as the label is *sewn* on they might assume it's meant to stay there.

I think this is right. At least with the young guys with the labels still on the cuff. They cut off everything that is attached with plastic, are uncertain about this,
and play it safe.

But what do I know? People buy $2000 logo hoodies these days, so these little labels…

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is right. At least with the young guys with the labels still on the cuff. They cut off everything that is attached with plastic, are uncertain about this,
and play it safe.

But what do I know? People buy $2000 logo hoodies these days, so these little labels…

I certainly think it's a mixture of either extremes; people who are entirely uninterested (e.g. the guy buying a Lauren by Ralph Lauren suit on final markdown because they just need *something* for formal wear), and the excessively interested (see; most likely the lady described by the OP with a Balmain cashmere overcoat).

I have to admit that I vaguely remember being unsure whether the sleeve label was "meant" to be left intact - but I removed them just out of ignorant preference because.... well, it looks ludicrous.

Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I always thought of these people as someone extremely insecure and thus in a constant search of a validation. Since usually they don't represent much as a person (shallow af) they seek for validation with the help of a brand logos. Miserable show...

Gooooooooooood.....gooooooooooooooooooood!

hate.gif

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I come from the Eastern Bloc, and when the iron curtain fell and foreign clothing brands entered our market, a lot of photos emerged from social celebrations where men wore their new suits with labels on their sleeves just because they didn't know that those labels should be removed.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and play it safe.

Yes, besides a clear ignorance, some people would like to show a possibly prestigious brand, as well as they do for sneakers, hoodies, bags and so on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads