• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Strap Watches

Themis

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to pick up a watch - ideally with a leather strap.

I'm 24 years old and looking to spend in the $1000-$2000 range.

Any brand or style suggestions? I'm not very educated when it comes to watches. I'm aware of the more common names out there, but would be great to get some more experienced / knowledgeable insight.

Thanks all!

Themis

Reaction score
Ah - it would also be great to know what the best method of purchase is - online? in-store retailer?

CheshirePaul

Reaction score
Only you can decide on style really. For the budget you have, would you consider buying a pre-owned watch? There are a lot of quality watches in pawn shops, going for a fraction of their original retail price. Visit a few shops and get an idea of which style you prefer. I stopped wearing my Tag Heuer Carrera watch a few years ago, due to my phone having a clock, but they can stick be decorative accessories, and even useful if your battery fails. It's a nice looking watch with a leather strap, and I would recommend it.

kasakka

Reaction score
Don't worry about the strap. Get a watch you like and swap the strap for a leather one. On most models it's easy to do yourself as long as you have a tiny flathead screwdriver.

I've had good luck with straps bought from eBay too.

Themis

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys...let me know if there are particular names I should look out for.

CheshirePaul

Reaction score
As far as recommended names go, for the price range that you are able to afford at the moment, they will all be fashion brands, rather than brands of quality or distinction. They are quite commonly worn, and you won't stand out from the crowd style wise. At 24, $2k would be best spent on something else, something more useful. It's 2 or 3 pairs of good shoes, rather than average quality watch that may or may not last, in terms of quality. I don't wish to rain on any ones parade, for there are enough people of here that will try and do that on here. I think what I am trying to convey is that few people will notice a watch, and even less people will be impressed with a mediocre watch, but shoes, or suits is something that will be more useful to you, and perhaps noticed more so, if creating a style to others is important to you.
Always buy the best quality that you can, and something that you like, because style is subjective at the end of the day. Just trying to put things into perspective a little.

CheshirePaul

Reaction score
There are also a lot of dandy type, bow tie wearing people that use this site. The type of people that think they are very stylish, but aren't. Not even slightly. Follow your own style, for you probably have a lot more than most on here. Simple and elegant is the way to go, never stand out of the crown for the wrong reasons. All the best to you.

Zeppelin

Reaction score
It's def. not true that all watches in this price range are made by fashion brands. Especially not if you go the pre-owned (pre-loved) route.

Speaking of new watches, Nomos comes to my mind. They're definitely a nice entree to the world of distinctive mechanical watches. Unless you are a real watch afficionado you might even want to stop right here and be happy for the rest of your life.

Thinking pre-owned, you could have a look at Omega or IWC.

Are these choices the cream of the crop? Certainly not, but it is highly debatable if every guy who wants a quality watch really has to wait for his 50s or 60s to afford a Patek (just because it is considered the end-of-all-means in some people's mind).

The question however if the 2k are spent somewhere else more wisely is valid ... but can only be answered by the op.

First you (@op) have to find out for yourself which type of watch you want to have. There is a very large range between formal and sporty ones. If you give us some hints where you want to go we could suggest specific models.

Oh, and I once again want to mention the hint that you should go pre-owned ... if you decide that you want to sell it sooner or later OR upgrade it, your loss will be marginal compared to the same situation with a newly acquired watch.

blackrose

Reaction score
Go pre-owned and classic, not a fashion brand and not a quartz. You want to get a watch from a company that specializes in watches and not clothing. Get an Omega and a custom leather strap like Zeppelin said. A solid watch will hold it's value for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads