• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather & Smoke

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
I just received a used pair of awesome A&E boots. Unfortunately, the previous user must have lived in a bar--they reek strongly of smoke. What can I do to fix the smell while protecting the leather?

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
I know some of you guys must have experience with this problem. The google results are conflicting and downright contradictory...a 2004 thread with the same topic also went unanswered.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to clean it with a bit of saddle soap, then put in a bag of cedar shavings. Air dry.

That should clean out all the smells.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Should I clean the saddle soap off before or after putting it in the bag of cedar shavings? Also, where do people pick up cedar? Would a hardware store maybe have them? My options in this neighbor are so small. I guess I could sandpaper my cedar blocks and use those instead?

citoyen

Reaction score
I would try lavender. Dont´know about the US, but here in Old Europe you can get small lavender bags in department stores/drugstores. And, of course, i would put them outside and let the wind do some work. Maybe hang them outside in a dry, but windy place.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citoyen
I would try lavender. Dont´know about the US, but here in Old Europe you can get small lavender bags in department stores/drugstores. And, of course, i would put them outside and let the wind do some work. Maybe hang them outside in a dry, but windy place.

They sell bags of lavender at Trader Joe's here in the US.

samurai

Reaction score
Give them air, outside. No matter what, the smell will gradually go away over time, by itself.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're sensitive to that smell, then I personally recommend you telling the seller that they need to be returned and that the smell was a significant detail withheld. Seriously, you shouldn't have to put up with that - that smell can linger for a lonnng time.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
If you're sensitive to that smell, then I personally recommend you telling the seller that they need to be returned and that the smell was a significant detail withheld. Seriously, you shouldn't have to put up with that - that smell can linger for a lonnng time.

I recently decided to email the seller and notify them of my issue. I think it's particularly bad, because the Q&A on the website actually had a question regarding flaws or damage to the boots and the seller claimed there were no "significant" flaws. Well, leather that reeks of smoke (I can seriously smell it from 3-5 feet away) is significantly flawed.

Instead of just demanding a return, I offered to pay half the price and accept them as they are. Seems fair to me.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you smoked your whole life you probably wouldnt notice it, maybe you guys shouldnt crucify the seller when you're buying a pair of used shoes.

Put some cedar chips in, put in a shoe horn, clean the shoes and polish them, and then see how they smell before going off the deep end.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
if you smoked your whole life you probably wouldnt notice it, maybe you guys shouldnt crucify the seller when you're buying a pair of used shoes.

If the seller is stupid enough to not know he smells like death, then he deserves any trouble he gets. All the smokers I know are well aware that they smell like ****.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
if you smoked your whole life you probably wouldnt notice it, maybe you guys shouldnt crucify the seller when you're buying a pair of used shoes. Put some cedar chips in, put in a shoe horn, clean the shoes and polish them, and then see how they smell before going off the deep end.
This might remedy the problem, but how long should I have to wait until I have a usable pair of shoes that don't smell like an ashtray? And if it doesn't work after multiple weeks and I then request a return, the seller might have a reasonable complaint about a delayed return. I think it's unreasonable to expect the buyer--who had no warning--to take these steps. And "crucifying" the seller? Talk about going off the deep-end; I merely requested a refund or reduction in price.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would give it a couple days with the cedar treatment and a couple polishes.

If it still smells after that you might consider returning it. I'd let the seller know now that you're considering it, but you want to try and fix it.

From the sellers perspective, he may not be too happy to find out that you tried everything in the book to get the smoke out, then returned them after it all failed, thus getting back a bit of a modified version.

I'm saying 'crucified' because i see alot of posters (not the OP) get up on their high horse and start yapping about all the things someone 'should' do, like they've never made a mistake in their life.

Maybe if someone smokes alot, it kinda slips their mind that something like their shoes may smell like hell.

If he smokes something good, like quality cigars, I wouldnt mind the smell, lol.

Anyways,

I'd start by putting in cedar trees, and filling em up with cedar chips.

Then do a soapy water cleaning with a brush.

Then a lotion rub down.

Finished with a wax polish.

if it still smells like that after a day or two, then its pretty well in there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads