• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Data suggests that a fair number of women are drawn here through organic search, but they probably leave as fast as any woman might be expected to leave a full on sausage party.

I went to Caltech, so I should know this too well.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a very limited wardrobe and ultimately only buy something that looks flattering on me in the sense that it renders me invisible and blends me in. I don't like standing out. Allow me to explain ...

I wear my hair medium-longish, always have because my ears are malformed and I wear a hearing aid behind one ear. I don't have a choice. If I wore it short, they'd be too visible. And I'd stick out for the wrong reasons and not in a good way. But in a, "****, did you see that guy?" way. I've had more than a few people literally ask me if I was burned, to give you an example. Growing up with kids staring at you and doing double takes when you walk around in public gets old quick.

So I'm forced wear my hair in a not-the-most-professional, wow-you-never-grew-out-of-your-teen-years-huh way. I believe it limits my professional prospects, and my style options. You won't find me wearing khakis and polos and I won't be joining any yacht clubs anytime soon. So yeah ... you could say I'll never blend in because of it.

Long story short, I choose what I wear because I would rather not turn heads but still match my limited aesthetic which happens to lean towards the musician look (which helps because I am a musician/artist type). I wear what I wear because I, too, want to be comfortable and it's not even about "impressing da ladiez," like some of you might be implying.

As for the 20 jacket try-on marathon, in my opinion it's a fine line between looking try-hard vs. natural when it comes to double rider jackets. And I don't want to look try-hard in that respect (gotta blend in, but can't pull off the preppy look either). Ultimately, I've decided I'm just not going to be comfortable in a DR, despite my appreciation of the aesthetics of them.

Happy?

Not really. I dunno man, try and have some fun with your clothes every once in a while. Live a little, life's too short. Most of the guys who look good in stuff like DRs is because they have the requisite style to not look outlandishly foolish to begin with, but more importantly because they feel good and look like they don't even know they have it on, not because the fit in the sleeve was 1/8" longer than the other one.

I'm not saying I know what it's like to have your ear thing, but I've got scoliosis, horrible posture, a weak jaw line, and a really asymmetric face that I've occasionally got comments about. Proper Cloth is remaking my shirt for the FOURTH time right now because no computer can apparently figure out why their human shirt design doesn't fit my crooked mantis body. I'd bet that most guys have some pretty large insecurities about aspects of their appearance, but one thing that's always helped me walk out the door in something I'm not sure about is a statement I read somewhere along the lines of "you'd be surprised how little people really care or notice when you feel like you've looked really foolish." I think people do notice when someone looks super uncomfortable with what they're wearing though, like you can hear in their head "omg I've got this jacket on, is this right? is this right?" like some guys appear to be in suits at weddings, looking around to see if anyone thinks they look stupid. I don't think there was anyone here who thought "why is this guy trying to wear a DR, he clearly can't pull one off" when you were agonizing over buying one. Chances are, if you got one it would make zero impact on your actual social experience aside from possibly gaining some more self confidence to dress the way you want to.

The only reason everyone is giving you a hard time about any of this is because it was you that implied that dressing is either about "impressing da ladiez" or "other dudes."

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I will forever be confused as to why people do **** to impress others.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel bad for you man, but because you seem to have allowed your appearane cripple you socially, to the point where you feel that your professional options are limited.

Speaking from personal experience, I think that you are probably much less limited than you might think. You are probably not wrong in that it's tougher for you, but there is no a priori reason to believe that those limitations are insurmountable.

A priori. :bigstar:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ninja edited

As Fok said, I feel truly sorry that you have had this experience. I was a little obeast when I was a child and got bullied around for it for years, so I think I might know how you feel.

Anyway, I really don't see what your "ear story" (for lack of better terminology, no disrepect) has to do with your comment about people dressing to impress other men and/or women... Seems like there is no connection to be made there at all.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel bad for you man, but because you seem to have allowed your appearane cripple you socially, to the point where you feel that your professional options are limited.

Speaking from personal experience, I think that you are probably much less limited than you might think. You are probably not wrong in that it's tougher for you, but there is no a priori reason to believe that those limitations are insurmountable.

Ah, man. It's all good. I had a good career as a graphic designer for 12+ years, winning national awards and ****. But I certainly hit a ceiling when I was limited for promotion into management because there's a default clean-pressed look expected of big company managers.

I've since ventured out into entrepreneurial/ecommerce pursuits where I make 6 figures annually and have been from the get-go 9 years on.

So yeah, work for myself, and no bullshit limits imposed on me.

Last edited:

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... your comment about people dressing to impress other men and/or women... Seems like there is no connection to be made there at all.

The connection was dressing to stand out (my question: standing out for who, guys? Because women don't like the look.) vs. dressing for oneself. The poster assumed since I questioned it, it must mean I'm on the banal path of only dressing to impress women. I was trying to show how there can be yet other motivations for how one chooses to dress.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I hear Self Edge is getting some new Fine Creek Leather jackets in stores in a few weeks. The Eric model, if I read correctly.

Kiya, can you confirm?

gnu

Reaction score
I will forever be confused as to why people do **** to impress others.

I only dress to impress the random styleforum users I inadvertently encounter in the real world.

Reactions: jet

verver

Reaction score
I, for one, absolutely enjoy understatesman’s never ending quest for the perfect leather jacket, and the commitment put forth with all the fit pics and measurements. It really keeps this thread interesting and engaging. And why would I not want to see more leathers?
keep up the quest!

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly this type of stuff just makes me laugh at the whole rugged looking clothing vibe, but at the same time, am I really any different when I used to paint/patch/destroy my clothing when I used to be much more active in the punk scene. Still some how this **** put me off from the whole tight leather jackets with tea core leather thing that seems mad popular as of late.

I didn't share that Instagram post to laugh at them, I posted it to laugh with them. These Fine Creek jackets aren't severely tight like you would expect wearing anything from Heidi Slimane. They're just really stiff when new. The appeal for the brand, at least for me, isn't the buzz words, it's the design decisions they're doing for certain styles. I have their FallsChurch jacket. I didn't buy it thinking it's going to develop some sick brown fades over time. I bought it because it's one of the best denim jacket styles I've seen on leather.

@Understatesman This whole "brand story" thing was just a little joke, just like never buttoning up your coat no matter how cold it gets. *Looks nervously at Derek* While it's nice we have a community that shares development of garments worn in over time, it is not the reason anyone is buying these jackets or denim. These are just hard wearing clothes that look good new and continue to look good old.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting discussion gents. Having recently watched the Buzz Bissinger HBO doc with my wife, I’m more concerned what she’s thinking about my leather jacket purchases over the last few years.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads