• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bullitt

Reaction score
One negative with Aero to be aware of is they are notorious for using inadequate zippers. I was wary of this when I ordered and sure enough I have an issue after just a few weeks of wear. It's small but makes it tough to zip - looking into options to get it fixed. If you put "Aero zipper issues" into a search you will find a ton of people have had issues.

They mainly use Talon zippers. Never had an issue with their quality. What you show here is not a problem with the zipper, it is either a problem with the sewing or the zipper was ripped out with force. If that's your jacket, you should contact them. Aero's customer service is excellent, they take pride in their craftmanship and they are willing to repair their jackets – after two weeks or after 20 years of wear.

Any thoughts on Aero as a maker?

Great quality jackets. Go for it, if you like their styles.

dhoff10

Reaction score
They mainly use Talon zippers. Never had an issue with their quality. What you show here is not a problem with the zipper, it is either a problem with the sewing or the zipper was ripped out with force. If that's your jacket, you should contact them. Aero's customer service is excellent, they take pride in their craftmanship and they are willing to repair their jackets – after two weeks or after 20 years of wear.

Great quality jackets. Go for it, if you like their styles.
I wouldn't say the issue is "quality" vs it's just underspec'd. It's a gauge 6 for a heavy leather, and they don't provide the option to go with a higher gauge. Whether or not that contributes to the sewing issue I have I don't know, but my problem specifically is a common one with Aero, as are a wide range of other issues with the zips. I can tell you I was extremely delicate with it as I was concerned about the issue from the beginning.

Thurston is going to repair it but shipping is on me.

What's funny is the box they sent the jacket in contained only my jacket and a letter telling me to be careful with the zippers. No receipt, marketing materials, or anything else. Not that I cared about those, but the only thing they think is a priority to tell their customers is to watch out. They know it's a problem.

skyfall

Reaction score
Fine creek vest arrived today

IMG-20191204-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20191204-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20191204-WA0014.jpg

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traded for an ll bean leather shearling lined G1 type jacket with a Mouton collar. Size small. Fit is solid. Thinsulate sleeves. Warm as heck.

manufacture tag says 1997. Must have been the last run of decent bean leathers. Made in USA. looks like a Golden Bear tag.

Skins look like goat. Similar texture to my late 70s/early 80s golden bear A2-ish jacket.

3 piece back, but even the early 80s ones were 2 piece. Never seen a one piece shearing lined bean A2. looks to be shearling wool pile on a fabric back. I think the earlier ones were real shearling skins?

Anyway, should be a great wearer... I tried it on with a vintage Pendleton shirt and scarf. I was sweating like a pig. Lol!

2019-12-04 17.53.31.jpg
20191204_173703.jpg
20191204_173139.jpg
20191204_172741.jpg
20191204_172728.jpg

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lightning mag had a section with Mohican Ogawa giving a how to on getting some aging going with their jackets. Honestly, it's pretty comical seeing a ton of people doing the aging exercises from the mag.

Nader393

Reaction score
Stand back. He's about to become a Japanese Hulk.

BTW, does anyone else get the irony of a Japanese company calling itself "Real McCoy" while replicating old American jackets? Or the next-level irony of replicating the American designs worn by Airforce Bombers who dropped innumerable explosives, including atomic bombs, on their home country? Maybe the gamma rays are why he's turning into the Hulk. To fight Godzilla?

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to that policy of not stretching the jacket/ ruining the life story or something along that line schtick?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
yes to pretty much anything rmc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads