• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ben878

Reaction score
I'm just curious what are the coolest leather jackets in existence. Any style, any season, doesn't matter. Show me?

Thanks.

boxing[1].gif
Leather jacket by Leonid Yakushev

Attachments

• IMG_6858.jpeg
    IMG_6858.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 646

dawei94

Reaction score
Has anyone here ordered MTM / bespoke (if offered) from Cromford Leather in the UK, Rifugio / Melina / Mandelli / Hettabretz in Italy, and Seraphin in Paris? I've ordered a couple more MTO items from Seraphin and they're quite nice, but they're not super enthused about working with you to create your own designs or making too many modifications to their own. I can certainly respect that, as they have a POV on the style they want to offer, but I am also interested in styles beyond what they offer. If you have experience with any of them, what did you think in terms of price, quality, fit, ease of working with them, fitting process (particularly if you don't live in London / Italy), ruggedness vs luxuriousness (for example, Chapal and Seraphin both make really pricey and high quality leather jackets, but Chapal has a distinctly more rugged vibe), etc.?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dawei94

Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@LA Guy i remember reading up thread that you had a piece from Cromford? What did you think of their workmanship, styling, etc., and if you went the bespoke or MTM route, the fitting / design process?
I ended up not getting one. The one that in wanted was something around $4K, which was steeper than I was comfortable with to commission sight unseen (yes, I’m too much of a smalltimer). Maybe I’ll get fitted and choose the leather I want in person next time I’m London. They look super nice though.

dawei94

Reaction score
I ended up not getting one. The one that in wanted was something around $4K, which was steeper than I was comfortable with to commission sight unseen (yes, I’m too much of a smalltimer). Maybe I’ll get fitted and choose the leather I want in person next time I’m London. They look super nice though.

Got it, $4k is a lot to do sight unseen, I don't order items like that without going in person (and I actually delayed my departure from London by half a day so that I could visit the store). It sounds like you haven't been able to handle one in person then?

I have a couple Seraphin jackets that are super nice but the owner is reticent to deviate too far from his own designs (which is totally fair, he has his pov on style and his brand reflects that) but I have some jackets that I've wanted that are not super close to anything from Seraphin's collections. Besides that, their pattern fits me decently but not as closely as I would like (getting bespoke items for suits, jackets, overcoats, etc. has spoiled me and now I want that level of fit for everything). Those two have me looking at more MTM / bespoke options, which have me looking at Cromford + Rifugio / Melina / Mandelli / Hettabretz. I won't have my Seraphin with me in London next week, but I can certainly report back if you and others are curious

Edit: beyond London next week, I will also be in Milan + London again in March, so I will be checking out at least Rifugio and Mandelli as well (Rifugio being the most interesting of the 4 since they do US trunk shows)

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Didnt you buy a scar stitch in same manner? :p

krakatoa

Reaction score
Has anyone here ordered MTM / bespoke (if offered) from Cromford Leather in the UK, Rifugio / Melina / Mandelli / Hettabretz in Italy, and Seraphin in Paris? I've ordered a couple more MTO items from Seraphin and they're quite nice, but they're not super enthused about working with you to create your own designs or making too many modifications to their own. I can certainly respect that, as they have a POV on the style they want to offer, but I am also interested in styles beyond what they offer. If you have experience with any of them, what did you think in terms of price, quality, fit, ease of working with them, fitting process (particularly if you don't live in London / Italy), ruggedness vs luxuriousness (for example, Chapal and Seraphin both make really pricey and high quality leather jackets, but Chapal has a distinctly more rugged vibe), etc.?
I ordered a PS shearling coat from Cromford with extended length), dealing with them entirely remotely (I live in Beijing). The coat didn't require much input on design (so I can't comment on interacting with Cromford in that respect), but in retrospect there are a few further small changes I should have asked for or at least discussed (lowering and widening the pockets) which Cromford didn't propose either. As I recall, they sent three trial coats made from thin cotton so the service was very good even if the process took somewhat longer than expected. The coat fits perfectly and works very well in the subzero temperatures on my walk to and from work.

Jaymig926

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for one I just put up an RMC j24 size 44 in the classifieds
Thanks for the interest
Jay

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads