• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that jacket is the correct size. The jacket just has a very awkward shape, particularly when it comes to the sleeves.

I tried on that jacket at Self Edge a while ago and it also fit me awkwardly in either size I tried. I would move that jacket and not bother adjusting the sleeves.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the fit here?
Rupiw6K.jpg

Wanted to get the sleeves shortened, but wanted to make sure the overall jacket fit well. Still got a few more pounds to lose as well.

Shoulders look a bit wide. Maybe it's the slope of your shoulders and the way the jacket is cut. As you mentioned the sleeves are too long. It would be good to see it zipped to see how tight it is on your chest when closed. That also might help see what's going on with the shoulders.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know I like your taste in general @kevenmee but I'd pass on this as well. I like mine but agree w/ others that it doesn't seem to do you many favors off the rack. I think trying to make it work for you might be an awfully big task, and one that would not guarantee success. IMO would be better to start w/ something that fits you better and may need minor adjustments than what you have to start here.

Might also be worthwhile settling at your goal weight before you commit. I keep myself at a pretty tight allowance with it in mind that horsehide won't forgive my indulgences.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know I like your taste in general @kevenmee but I'd pass on this as well. I like mine but agree w/ others that it doesn't seem to do you many favors off the rack. I think trying to make it work for you might be an awfully big task, and one that would not guarantee success. IMO would be better to start w/ something that fits you better and may need minor adjustments than what you have to start here.

Might also be worthwhile settling at your goal weight before you commit. I keep myself at a pretty tight allowance with it in mind that horsehide won't forgive my indulgences.

Yeah, struggling with that dilemma now. Either way, was an expensive mistake to either resell or try to get tailored. That being said, without going custom - off the rack probably won't work, especially since I have comically short arms.

Re: goal weight - yeah. My weight has fluctuated about 30 pounds in the past two year and bought it when I was a little bit heavier. I'll hit the gym and try to get to a stable weight before I wiggle around in bed with some tennis balls and then see where to go from there.

MrProper

Reaction score
Hmm, unfortunate. Outside of the sleeves which are super long (and I wanted to shorten), thought it fit decently.

Now the tough part to decide to sell or get the sleeves shortened :|
Sell.

To be honest and without being rude... it's not just the sleeves, it's the whole jacket. This is too long, too wide, the shoulders are too wide, the sleeves are not only too long but too wide. Even with shortened sleeves the jacket will not fit. This is by style a cafe racer and they look best when short and tight. For a wide boxy cut there are better suited jackets. But tastes are of course different.

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sell.

To be honest and without being rude... it's not just the sleeves, it's the whole jacket. This is too long, too wide, the shoulders are too wide, the sleeves are not only too long but too wide. Even with shortened sleeves the jacket will not fit. This is by style a cafe racer and they look best when short and tight. For a wide boxy cut there are better suited jackets. But tastes are of course different.

Not rude, posted to get some feedback and appreciate the candor.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the fit here?

Wanted to get the sleeves shortened, but wanted to make sure the overall jacket fit well. Still got a few more pounds to lose as well.
Hmm, unfortunate. Outside of the sleeves which are super long (and I wanted to shorten), thought it fit decently.

Now the tough part to decide to sell or get the sleeves shortened :|

Dude, you look like me in the size 40 Roberts. No shortening of the sleeves is going to change the fact that it fits you like a cardboard rectangle. Also, the sleeves are too wide.

Same problem I had. A 38 fit really snug, but doable if you're up for broken seams. A 40 fit world's different for some reason. I needed something inbetween.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So as I kept saying that jacket is cut almost like Rick Owens Intarsia, slim shoulders and long body. Unlike Rick tough the body is more forgiving and tube like which can work for some people and look odd on others. When I tried on the jacket I didnt like how right the shoulders were and how baggy the body was. If I had sized up then the proportions would be off so I passed on it.

FCL / IH fit me spot on with nice wiggle room. People need to accept some **** just doesn't sit right.

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, @d4nimal and Andrew from F&P look awesome.

As hard as it may be to accept - sounds like the Roberts just won't work for me. Anybody have any recommendations on brands that have a short-ish cut? Ideally would like to start with a simple moto design.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads