• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New Valstar Clint in black suede looks so good. Currently a pre-order running at No Man Walks Alone's affiliate thread. This would look great with black jeans and black side zips

clint_jacket_raw.suede_black.jpg

Bikingnerd

Reaction score
Any advice on sizing for the 3sixteen x Schott A2? At 5'6, 140ish lbs, 36-37" chest, I can't decide between S and XS. I already bugged various vendors, but got differing answers, so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had some extra insight before pulling the trigger!

Probably want to be able to layer with a light flannel or light-medium sweater, but priority is a good fit with a tee or regular button up shirt.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Valstar Clint in black suede looks so good. Currently a pre-order running at No Man Walks Alone's affiliate thread. This would look great with black jeans and black side zips

View attachment 1344121

Niiice. So what's the deal with the Clint anyway? Is it a model that's exclusive to NMWA? Or is it possible to get through other retailers?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Niiice. So what's the deal with the Clint anyway? Is it a model that's exclusive to NMWA? Or is it possible to get through other retailers?

Not sure. I imagine most Valstart stockists wouldn't carry this in black suede though. Black suede Clint feels vaguely SWD to me, whereas I think Valstar is traditionally carried at CM type stores.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure. I imagine most Valstart stockists wouldn't carry this in black suede though. Black suede Clint feels vaguely SWD to me, whereas I think Valstar is traditionally carried at CM type stores.

Just looked at the Valstar website and I can't find the Clint there at all... In any color.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clint is an older model that is no longer in the rotation. NMWA special orders it. It is a fantastic jacket fee really, and one of the, if not the, best western jacket available IMO. A lot of other options don’t hold a candle to it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3qa93f.jpg

Lem87

Reaction score
Any advice on sizing for the 3sixteen x Schott A2? At 5'6, 140ish lbs, 36-37" chest, Isays can't decide between S and XS. I already bugged various vendors, but got differing answers, so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had some extra insight before pulling the trigger!

Probably want to be able to layer with a light flannel or light-medium sweater, but priority is a good fit with a tee or regular button up shirt.
Aim for an xs on the size chart. Look to see what the chest sizes actually fit for that brand. If too big you need to go mto. I'm cautioning you because I'm a small in most brands at 170 lbs 5"11 with a 41 inch chest and dont mind breaking in stiff hides. You may be ok with Japanese manufactured sizing though. Just be sure to check the size and fit chart then ask questions first.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any advice on sizing for the 3sixteen x Schott A2? At 5'6, 140ish lbs, 36-37" chest, I can't decide between S and XS. I already bugged various vendors, but got differing answers, so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had some extra insight before pulling the trigger!

I'd guess at XS. Schott's are sized for Americans. I am 5'11" and have a 41" chest and am 185 lbs, and a medium in most Schott jackets fit me well - last year's Schott x3Sixteen roughout fits perfectly, even sligtly loose, and A2s are less fitted than Perfectos. I would choose the small, if it were up to me.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In Schott I have a size S hand oiled perfecto, and when I bought it I was 155 lbs, 5'10" and it fit me fine. I'm 145 lbs now and sometimes feel its a bit too roomy. So if it's any indication, I would guess XS for you as well.

dangerous

Reaction score
I posted earlier today, and figured I'll sell my old LVC jacket and replace it with a new one.

I've currently come to a verdict and picking between three models - are there any other makers than Schott, Simmon Bilt and Aero Leather worth looking for in Europe? I'm thinking ~600-1000 USD as my limit, so most Japanese makers are off the limit.

The ones I've been looking at so far are:

The sunburst:
3005550be72129a4_sunburst-500.jpg

1085550be83d5b09_sunburstback-500.jpg

The Aeromarine
745d285a4b5029b_AblotredoFront500.jpg

The Simmons bilt V2

sbv2webfront.jpg

I like the collar of the Simmons Bilt a lot, and wish the Aeromarine was similar, but I prefer the amount of buttons and lack of chest pocket more on the Aeromarine. I'm not sure if I prefer the pouch pockets (ammo pockets?) or handwarmers. I'm not a really big fan of the sunburst collar.

The sunbursts back is an amazing piece of art, to me, and is the main reason I like it: I'm generally against zippers, but Aero uses Talon zippers which is high quality enough. I also have bad experience of buttons for leather jackets from my LVC, but my local leather worker/tailor says its because they are poorly attached, not because button with thread shanks are inferior quality.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these jackets? Or know if Aero can change collars based on requests? Or got any ideas of similar jackets, or makers, that I could look at?

Thanks guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics