1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Maybe about 0.5-1 size.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Calf will shrink - I would be careful, because you can overshoot it. I saw one calf leather jacket sample from a M/38, to what can only be described as "child sized", probably a 34, but maybe even slightly smaller, from where I (at the time, a larger 38) could zip it up, though it was snug, to it going up to my forearms, above the belt level, and so that the chest and back were so shrunken that there was at least 3" of additional leather needed to close that thing up.

So, soak it, but check on it occasionally, and monitor the measurements, and if it shrinks too much, stretch it gently while still wet.

Incidentally, it will stiffen up some, but will resoften very quickly. Some of the leatherheads, like guys at the Fedora Lounge, will do crazy things like wearing the wet jackets dry. I can imagine very little that is more uncomfortable - maybe wearing wet raw jeans concurrently.

1 person likes this.
  3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

4. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

THanks for the input. Do you also recommend lukewarm water and a 10-15 min soak?

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Is there any lasting damage from soaking the leather?

6. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

You will have to recondition the jacket once it is almost completely dry to soften it up again. It won't soften without it and will be prone to cracking as the leather lost its original protection from the soaking.

The grain on the leather may end up becoming more pronounced due to the process. Damage will only occur if the water used is too hot as it can harden the leather permanently.

1 person likes this.
  7. bebop d

bebop d Senior member

Won't the color change as well? I was caught in torrential rain with a favorite leather jacket and it still has rain stains on the top part of the jacket one and a half years later. Maybe there's something I don't know about that would get rid of them?

8. Callusing

Callusing Senior member

Albert (Collateral) just put this up for sale:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Natural tone elephant. Pretty ridiculous. $2500.

He's selling a couple of the Horween Horse movement jackets for $600 in the same thread.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    7 people like this.
  9. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

ˆYou should post this in the Artisanal clothing thread. That thing is beautiful.

10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I hope it comes with the proper paperwork, or it can be seized

11. SIMONTEMPLAR

SIMONTEMPLAR Active Member

I guess one of the best seen lately is Brando's Durable One Star by Bill Kelso Mfg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. rallyx

rallyx Well-Known Member

13. SIMONTEMPLAR

SIMONTEMPLAR Active Member

Nice one but not the same. There are thousands of variants of this style but they are not exact replicas of Brando's like the above, just same style.

14. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

I was thinking the same thing. According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, leather products from elephants sourced from specific countries are importable, but still...given that all African elephant species are on the U.S. Endangered Species List, it's kind of salty to make a jacket from elephant skin.

"You may import leather goods of elephants that originated in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa or Zimbabwe for your own noncommercial use without an import permit (they would not be considered hunting trophies, however)." https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/factsheet-import-leopard-elephant-sport-hunted-trophy-2012.pdf

Surely making a jacket is considered "commercial use?"

15. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

????? thats soooooo fucked up bra

2 people like this.
  16. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    2 people like this.
  17. accordion

accordion Senior member

Looking at that jacket is the first time I've felt dirty owning and fetishizing leather.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. lukelev07

lukelev07 Member

Tried on the margiela 5 zip today. It was perfect. Too perfect. If someone wants to sell a 50, I will probably buy instantly, preferably black.

19. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Yup, it's a great jacket. Very versatile. Was it the current season's version you tried? In calf?

20. Necromancer

Necromancer Member

Im currently selling this BNWT Belstaff Leather Racemaster XS [ATTACHMENT=13247][ATTACHMENT=13248][ATTACHMENT=13249][ATTACHMENT=13250][ATTACHMENT=13251]image.jpeg (360k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]for 700(RRSP 1775). Here are some pics.[ATTACHMENT=13243][ATTACHMENT=13244][ATTACHMENT=13245][ATTACHMENT=13246]image.jpeg (670k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]

Softest leather jacket I have ever seen. And, it's Belstaff, so there's that. Really cool jacket that you will bring out for the best of the occasions. Bought it this summer from SSENSE but never wore it. Size very rare, IT44(US 34). Slightly larger for me as I am thin and not really tall. I like my leather jackets to be like a second skin so my loss is your gain.

Size specifications:
    Chest-19.5
    Shoulder-17.5
    Length-26
    Sleeves-26

Shipping is 30 in US, Canada and others I'll have to find out.