1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

who sells this guy's stuff?

2. sleekdog

sleekdog New Member

Great pic! Seen this jacket in many colors for many years, blue and white and black and red, on sale and then not. Great design but always seemed like a very boxy, non-tapered, short fit. Is that true?

3. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    3 people like this.
  4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

How should I be caring for my leather jacket if it does not get a lot of wear?

On the other hand, from browsing websites it appears I need to break in the jacket if I want to avoid the jacket making squeaky noise.

5. Lacker

Lacker Member

6. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

So, whats the received wisdom about black riders with dark hardware? Like so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I kinda like the second one from Givenchy... But I have no idea about the quality of the brand.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  7. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

The gunmetal on the givenchy looks cool but black looks kinda cheap to me. Silver hardware still looks best to me on a perfecto

2 people like this.
  8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I talked to @Synthese once about it. He said he thought they go well with all black outfits (black jeans, black boots, etc), but are probably less versatile than the normal black/ silver configuration. Thought that was good a good take.

Anyone know how OG 5-zips fit compared to newer models? I'm a 46 in the current version. Does the OG model fit slimmer or fuller than the new design?

I think very little care is needed, TBH. Unless you've picked up a vintage jacket, which sometimes need conditioning. Guys on The Fedora Lounge are kind of leather jacket fanatics. Most guys there condition their jackets maybe once every five to ten years (I have five year old jackets I've never conditioned once). And that's just for heavy cowhides. I think lambskins, goatskins, and horsehides need even less conditioning (I find them less prone to drying out).

1 person likes this.
  9. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

OG Margiela jackets have wider shoulders and a fuller cut than modern ones, but I'd still go TTS for the intended fit

I condition my calf jackets once every two years or so, more if they feel noticeably dry or see a lot of rain. My lamb I only condition when it gets dirty or discolored and use a delicate cream so I don't over-condition it. I've never needed to condition my horse jackets other than an old CCP I bought used, feels harder to dry out, even after rain.

1 person likes this.
  10. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

I'd agree with nicelynice. I went TTS on my OG one, and went true on one from 14. I haven't tried on the newest batch since they changed the fit again but from the measurements I've looked at I would probably go true as well. My OG one definitely fits a bit more full, which I preferred.

1 person likes this.
  11. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Anyone know the general quality of Givenchy leathers?

12. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

13. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Damn that's a steal

14. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

That reverse waxed calf from fw08 is one of the best. I'd buy that in a second if it was my size

15. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

I really wish it fit better because it's an incredible jacket. The leather is amazing

16. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

This. I own a TOJ 2010 double rider, black calf on black. Decent jacket but the black hardware just gets lost in the overall fit. Gunmetal or silver really gives it pop. I have a blkdnm double rider with silver hardware that I much prefer. Basically only ever wear the toj with all black everything.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: fuck toj.

17. Hodor

Hodor Member

Black hardware makes the leather a bit cheaper and is more difficult to pull in an outfit. I mostly see it in a full black outfit with tan shoes. I didn't like it on my jacket and sold it sooner than expected.

RXS09: That jacket is amazing the waxed effect looks amazing.

18. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

Have a calf 5-zip in 48 I need to unload. Will try and put on b and s tonight.

Still looking for another leather, something lightweight with good hardware. Love my united arrows and sons rider, would prefer something like that in terms of quality.

19. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Ok, I know this has been up before but I need to ask again. I am thinking of throwing a calf leather jacket in the tub for a good soak. Point is to make it a bit smaller and to loose a bit of the stiffness. Anyone tried this before? I've seen articles for as well as against online...

@LA Guy?

20. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

It will become stiff when it dries. It may or may not shrink but you need to use warm water and leave it soaked for 10-15 mins. How much shrinkage are you aiming for?