• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i dont like the toj moto, not in your face or minimalist enough

too in the middle

It's pretty minimalist. Material and constructionwise, it's pretty solid, but nothing to write home about. I'd say that is a very good starter jacket. But if you have the scratch, and want something iconic, get an Aero (which made Nigel Cabourn's jackets.) If you want something fashion, there are lots of options.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ok guys this thread has made me really want a leather jacket now. I've never had one before, so I thought I might ask the experts.

From what I've seen, I really like the double rider style ones with the asymmetrical zipper (but not so asymmetrical that the jacket hangs weird unzipped). What I don't like is that a lot of them are really short or have a fixed belt that hangs uselessly when not used.

A. Is a longer double rider a faux pas? I know the original intent was to not inhibit movement for motorcycle riders, but I wouldn't be riding a motorcycle with a leather jacket, so is it acceptable to break with tradition?

B. What brands would you recommend? The TOJ DR 2010 looks good to me and gets good reviews, but I'm not sure that they're still taking orders, and I've heard some other options are better. I see a lot of recs for Rick Owens, but I also hear that they aren't as good now as they used to be. It looks like Aero and some of the other usual suspects have that weird fixed belt...

FWIW, you can customize details on an Aero.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's pretty minimalist. Material and constructionwise, it's pretty solid, but nothing to write home about. I'd say that is a very good starter jacket. But if you have the scratch, and want something iconic, get an Aero (which made Nigel Cabourn's jackets.) If you want something fashion, there are lots of options.

you keep talking about the aero, where did you order yours?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is RO hammered lamb always good or it still varies season by season?

basil rathbone

Reaction score
If you trust your own measurements then you can try with ToJ. There are other custom jacket makers out there who will do work state-side with a shorter wait and similar pricing...

For example...?

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think kunk said at some point that some hammered lamb looks real good but feels really thin. I forget which season. Probably crust fw09 was the season hammered lamb was used the most. Mine from fw07 is nice and thick

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
TY will check it. Hope my sizes exist when the season hits
biggrin.gif

Side note, if you only knew how much i want to go back to Japan. I spent 2 weeks in Tokyo with my wife back in 2009 and we literally went everywhere in Tokoyo. We hit every district every attraction, so much fun! I slightly regret not going to Kyoto but thats going to be for the next trip.

I think you would like Harajuku district if you haven't been.
@Mr. Moo has some ideas/thoughts about custom makers.

Re pic, thanks, there was no documentation of said jacket online so i wanted to put something up. My Toj moto is not overly warm, just right i'd say. I wear it with just a shirt normally. Brad has a DR maybe he can weigh in on the warm part.

flashlight or marital aid

If you go back to Japan and happen to buy a bunch of stuff in a department store, most major stores have a counter in the basement. If you are a foreigner and have bought over a certain amount (usually $100 or so), you can bring your passport to them and get the Japanese VAT refunded. Kyoto has traditionally been the clothing capital of Japan, but that might be just traditional Japanese stuff and not modern wear (basically around when the samurai were abolished the wealthy middle class were too low in status to buy a lot of property, so Kyoto became the center where they spent all their money on clothing and Oosaka became the city where they spent all their money on food and entertainment).

And flashlight, of course! Better resale value.
wink.gif

Do you know how you would go about doing this when it comes to removing the belt and lengthening the jacket? I see a customization tab on their site, but it's only stuff like changing the lining.

Thurston bros. In Seattle.
I'll have to look into them. I have family up there, maybe a visit is in order...
biggrin.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

warning: wild guesses to follow!

Aero looks cool on someone 48-52 but doesn't seem to scale back so well for a 44 or 46 (someone my built). I kinda want a new rider and would maybe look at aero or SLP (although I think the label is wack I like some pieces and they fit me really well) but haven't made up my mind on what I want, it may take me a few months (+ I already have 4 nice leathers).

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Looks like Thurston's custom options are Aero jackets, and there's more room for customization direct from Aero than I initially thought. Sorry to bombard the thread with questions, but how does Aero's product compare directly to TOJ and RO?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like Thurston's custom options are Aero jackets, and there's more room for customization direct from Aero than I initially thought. Sorry to bombard the thread with questions, but how does Aero's product compare directly to TOJ and RO?

Aero is much higher quality than ToJ, both in make and materials. Hard to compare them to Rick, but they are definitely more consistent. They are a more traditional silhouette, more in the style of Buzz Rickson than SLP.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gonna do it, hemming the sleeves on my Stooges

Went with these dudes, seems other people trust them with expensive leathers:
http://leather-reform.com/tag/袖丈詰め/

Alteration is gonna run around $150

booo

Aero and Toj make "made to measure" jackets and RO is a high end designer, you can't compare all 3. You can compare aero to toj in which case @LA Guy can weigh in on aero. I already gave you my thoughts on TOJ.

I think you need to consider the style that this jacket will complement. Aero/toj is classic, RO is fashion forward, once you nail that down you can make a better decision.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads