• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWV

Reaction score
46 chest, 35 waist. Pit to pit on the Brooks is 24".
Sorry the ignorance, but to make an pit to pit measurement dunyou need to gomfrom the seam under the armhole to the seam under the armhole at the other side?

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Understatesman I don't think the Mister Freedom Campus jacket is your cup of tea, but it's a jacket that lends itself well to sizing down for a slimmer fit. You may end up happy. It's not uncommon that people size down once or even twice with some success.

Based on your measurements and preference, you would possibly like the 36.

Here is a link to the Campus version, which you'll prefer over any other one, because it's black.

Worst case scenario I have a friend who'll buy it from you I'm pretty sure.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not feeling it.

But I do think it would pair well with a Robin Hood type hat. Wonder why those went out of style.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 7.59.28 AM.png

Last edited:

D-A-I

Reaction score
Sorry the ignorance, but to make an pit to pit measurement dunyou need to gomfrom the seam under the armhole to the seam under the armhole at the other side?

Yup, you lay the jacket down as flat as possible and measure from the bottom of one armhole to the bottom of the other. Not all jackets have a side seam, though, so just use the widest point of a flat jacket. Here's the image the ebay seller used, though you'd get better measurements out of a nonrigid tailors measuring tape.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210922-090803.png
    Screenshot_20210922-090803.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 51

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's everyone's general opinion on unlined leather? Say, cafe racer in cowhide or whatever. Intolerable? You'd pay extra and get it lined aftermarket? You'd wear it less?

it will be a pain ********** to put on so I’m against it

D-A-I

Reaction score
I also imagine it would chafe something fierce. The only unlined leather I've ever had was a thin suede overshirt and even that rubbed at my armpits and elbows, heavier leather would only exacerbate the issue because of the how it came together at the seams.

For reference, here's the armpit seam as seen through the torn lining of my TOJ calfskin DR:

Attachments

• PXL_20210922_152923619.jpg
    PXL_20210922_152923619.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 54

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a thin cowhide unlined Schott cafe racer i been wearing for 3-4 years. It's a bit of a pain putting on with a tee shirt in the arms but no worse than a lined horsehide for sure. I've lost some weight recently so it's too big but I'm considering taking it to Zoltan at Advanced European to see if he can make it fit again.

CWV

Reaction score
Would you guys say there is a minimum leather thickness for a decent jacket? If so how thick?
Or it just depends on what one is looking for and there is a place for every thickness?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's general opinion on unlined leather? Say, cafe racer in cowhide or whatever. Intolerable? You'd pay extra and get it lined aftermarket? You'd wear it less?

Usually bad and uncomfortable, sometimes spectacularly ugly like the unlined Iron Heart UK jackets>

Would you guys say there is a minimum leather thickness for a decent jacket? If so how thick?
Or it just depends on what one is looking for and there is a place for every thickness?

It depends, and the obsession with always using the heaviest leather is a new one. Actual WWII A-2s, for example, were made of much thinner leather (by spec!) than the chunky repros.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1 oz (1/64th of an inch) and under is too light IMO but past 1.5 oz up until 4.5 oz it's the optimal weight range.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leather-Thickness-Chart.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads