• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about Aero Cherry CXFQHH:

upload_2019-2-20_0-30-12.jpeg

upload_2019-2-20_0-30-54.jpeg

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything I can do about a greasy suede collar?

Have you tried Saphir's suede cleaner? It works really well -- it comes with a little brush, what I do is put some hot water in a small bowl and add some of the cleaner, dilute 4 parts water to one part cleaner (it's kind of expensive). Then I work it into the stain until it foams. Brush off excess water/soap, and then I go over the stain with plain hot water, again brushing off the excess water. Repeat as needed, increasing the amount of cleaning fluid if it doesn't foam.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are re-igniting my Addict-Clothes addiction. That IS a good price BTW, someone should nab it. Quality of Addict is better than JG in my opinion, but then again the price is reflective

I'm not mad at this jacket from Clutch Cafe.. (sheepskin and all..)

ADN6400_1280x1280.jpg

walds11

Reaction score
Hey guys, I feel like I am going back to the drawing board on my leather jacket journey. If I wanted a considerably lighter jacket than my Aero Seven in Vicenza HH, what leather do you recommend? I’m looking for a light-weight, casual, everyday lifestyle leather jacket, with biker characteristics. What jackets do you recommend? No cross zips please. My Aero Seven in Vicenza doesn’t seem to check the light-weight box in my opinion. I may put mine up for sale...

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are plenty of leather jackets under $1K, though we rarely write or read about them here. Even my Real McCoys unlined Type 3 was under $1K (though just barely), and that is a famously expensive brand in that category. In whatever country you are, you just need to look at domestic sources.

Aside from Schott, you look at other traditional makers like Vanson, or a still "affordable" custom jacket from Aero, or a Simmons Bilt, or whatever. In Greece, Thedi is much less expensive (though it may be more now since it has rebranded to some degree). I mean, you can also buy a jacket from Johnson Leathers or whatever, and then you get something nearly fully custom for well under $1K. Of course, once you go import, you are looking at duties, shipping costs, etc... And if you go designer, then you are going to pay a premium for sure.

Frankly, designer leathers are getting absurdly expensive, something that's been suggested to be tied to growing income inequality. Same goes with say, luxury watch prices, which are at this point beyond the means of all but the most fortunate of the fortunate in the world,

This. I find it's mainly just the fashion brands that start at $1,000 but if you are looking for a leather motorcycle jacket, everything Fok's said above about Vanson, Schott, Johnson etc. is the truth. I think what you're paying for in a fashion brand is obviously overhead like marketing, SG&A, design, and let's be honest, scarcity premium.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some lambskin jackets are very well made.

That said, if you go to a hide house, lambskin is invariably less expensive than other skins like buffalo or horse, per square foot. That said, in the luxury range, material costs are not the limiting factor - this goes for suiting, shirting, etc.. as well as leather, unless you are using something truly special.
When we order leather jackets from J Grose, the prices are slightly different but quite close actually. In order of less to more expensive: lamb, sheep, then calf/suede/horse (same price). Each step is only about 4% increase so not a big difference. And horse is not more expensive than calf or cow suede.

The pricing steps between a simpler jacket and one with more work/elements is more dramatic. As people could see for example in the price difference between the shearling “Lunch” jacket we recently offered for preorder (simple, very few elements) and the RAF Irvin (tabs, belts and sewing everywhere)

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I feel like I am going back to the drawing board on my leather jacket journey. If I wanted a considerably lighter jacket than my Aero Seven in Vicenza HH, what leather do you recommend? I’m looking for a light-weight, casual, everyday lifestyle leather jacket, with biker characteristics. What jackets do you recommend? No cross zips please. My Aero Seven in Vicenza doesn’t seem to check the light-weight box in my opinion. I may put mine up for sale...

Don't give up on that jacket man, wear it, break it in and enjoy it for what it is.....a finely made piece of craftsmanship that the vast majority of leather jacket nominalists will never know....

OTOH if you are not happy then perhaps that genre of leather jacket is not for you at all...

Have you considered high quality suede?

walds11

Reaction score
Don't give up on that jacket man, wear it, break it in and enjoy it for what it is.....a finely made piece of craftsmanship that the vast majority of leather jacket nominalists will never know....

OTOH if you are not happy then perhaps that genre of leather jacket is not for you at all...

Have you considered high quality suede?

Yeah, maybe I just to wear it and break the sucker in. Maybe if I get it wet, do some major massaging, etc., it will soften up.

I love the craftsmanship, quality and look of the jacket, just feel that the leather is heavy and stiff.

High quality suede is an option...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member