• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If any of you has a lady friend that needs a jacket for cheap. This looks pretty nice. Not fashion-y, but hey.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371568123482

Size small, has a removable lining, ykk zippers. Not my auction.

Last edited:

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought my girlfriend a jacket from Lucky Brand and it's pretty kickass. It was a little over $200 and great for the price

BenjaminZeev

Reaction score
I have been wearing this leather jacket for 16 years. A friend that is in the punk music scene has always complemented me on it. I must say it is sturdy, though the lining could use replacement. It looks better in person. Was $100 at Target.

Here is the same thing, I found on Canadian Ebay (already sold). Was listed at $100.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i didn't even know Target was 16 years old

chaerimk

Reaction score
As promised, updating on my Coach jacket and the 5 zips. The 5 zips gone back because the length too long for me. Sucks to be short and small asian. The coach leather jacket is also gone back to the store. The snap got loose and they dont have another to exchange for me. So I picked up two different one. What do you think? Do you think the blue too much? Are they too short?They are from the woman line but the shoulder and chest fit so well and I have no shame wearing these. Wish the men sizes was shorter but fit my american friend pretty good.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK - I think I am going to go with a J100 - Himel vs RMC? Need to figure out where to try on each here in the Bay.

Anyone comment on either fit? I want it to be pretty slim cut.

jsd642

Reaction score

OK - I think I am going to go with a J100 - Himel vs RMC? Need to figure out where to try on each here in the Bay.

I have a size 40 Himel Kensington, I am ~6' 1" 175lbs. It fits nice, more so on the slim side, but not overly slim. I can try to grab a fit picture if that would help.

I haven't tried an rmc j-100, but based of experience with other rmc products, I imagine it would be amazing.

I discovered I'm not a fan of no handwarmer pockets, so I am looking to sell of my nearly brand new himel at a substantial discount if anyone happens to be interested.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a size 40 Himel Kensington, I am ~6' 1" 175lbs. It fits nice, more so on the slim side, but not overly slim. I can try to grab a fit picture if that would help.

I haven't tried an rmc j-100, but based of experience with other rmc products, I imagine it would be amazing.

I discovered I'm not a fan of no handwarmer pockets, so I am looking to sell of my nearly brand new himel at a substantial discount if anyone happens to be interested.

I suspect I am a 42 size given the measurements you posted, but could even be a 44.

ChrisGold

Reaction score

What do people think of the Gustin jackets?

Not a huge fan of the chest pocket without a zipper, but it's inoffensive and I know some people who like the look. The back, however, is screaming for a yoke, gussets, a half-belt, kidney panel... anything. Just too much leather without any detail to draw the eye. I understand that it would have subsequently blown their $499 price point, and so I'm sure that was a major consideration.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that it would have subsequently blown their $499 price point, and so I'm sure that was a major consideration.

Interesting. I've always assumed that large leather areas without any seams cost more to produce, since the maker has to find a large piece of material that can be used at once, without patching smaller pieces together. Also, very cheap leather jackets always seem to have seams everywhere because the are essentially patched together from scrap leather or something...

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Interesting. I've always assumed that large leather areas without any seams cost more to produce, since the maker has to find a large piece of material that can be used at once, without patching smaller pieces together. Also, very cheap leather jackets always seem to have seams everywhere because the are essentially patched together from scrap leather or something...

I never really thought of # of panels as indicative of lower or higher quality other than that a larger panel requires more smooth, even, blemish-free hide than jackets with smaller panels. I personally prefer an extra seam or two in the back to add shape, but it's not a big deal either way. The only thing I'd change is a 2-way zipper vs. the 1-way they use. Also, I'd like to see some pics in the wild. I think Gustin offers some decent products, but it's hard to get a feel for how the jacket is actually going to wear by just looking at a few product shots.

ChrisGold

Reaction score

It's a little more complicated. For the most part, it's about yield per hide. If you cut a big piece right out of the center of a hide for the back, and it doesn't leave pieces large enough to make other panels for the arms, front, etc... then you've created a lot of waste and increased your cost. The smaller each panel is the higher percentage of the hide you use. If you are making jackets with very cheap labor, you can squeeze every piece of leather out of it because your cutting/sewing cost is low. If your labor costs are high then that factor can swing the other direction. Besides cutting around blemishes, you also need to cut panels so that the grain or lack of grain looks uniform, as you don't want one arm to be very grainy and the other perfectly smooth.

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Just heard that Standard and Strange has stock arriving or that has arrived for RMC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads