• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LCD screen tv

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think BOSE manufacturers or markets any LCD TVs, at least not in US. B & O has attractive designs and reasonable quality at very high prices. If you are looking to spend good money on an LCD TVs you should also look at Sony XBR series. I wonder if B & O LCDs are more expensive than Runco.

Brian SD

Reaction score
If you care about impressing people, B&O. If you care about image quality, Pioneer Kuro.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are only a few manufacturers of the actual LCD panel or plasma glass in the world. The only ones worth even considering are Sharp, LG and Samsung for LCD and Panasonic and Samsung for plasma (RIP Pioneer's best of class plasma line). Sharp makes the LCD panels for Sony, Pioneer, and anyone else who wants a top notch LCD. It is somewhat telling that Pioneer would ditch a set of plasma screens rated so highly to use LCD panels from a rival. The only way to stay competitive on the price was to give in.

All of the Costco super cheap specials (Sceptre, etc) use sub standard Chinese panels and glass. Some of the Pioneer/NEC glass started to come from China and it wasn't nearly as good as previous generations, but it was less than half the price.

Lynx

Reaction score
Neither. Both brands are highly overpriced for the performance they deliver (I don't know if Bose even makes LCDs, but if they did, they'd be overpriced). A few years ago design might have played a bigger issue, but with modern LCDs, the normal brands (Sharp, Sony, Philips etc) have wonderfull design aswell.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From my understanding, Sharp, Samsung, and Sony are the best for LCD televisions. Even though Sharp makes the panels for Sony, televisions from all three makers still have distinctly different images. The high-end Samsungs have the biggest upfront wow factor with incredible contrast and super-vivid colors--but you lose something in detail. The best Sharps are not quite as impressive to a casual observer, but they produce much more realistic images. I'd choose the Samsung for video games and the Sharp for movies.

I haven't seen the newer Sony XBRs, but they may be a nice compromise.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
The new Samsungs have this red accent on the frame I find awfully distracting.

I've had a 46" Sony (46V3000 I think is the model number; the one with their old 10-bit color chip) since the beginning of the summer, and I like it just fine. I am more an audio guy than a video guy, though. I think any big LCD with a thin, black bezel would've satisfied me just fine.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want high design with good quality, and don't mind paying for it, check out Loewe instead. Of the two you named, B&O has real design street cred and some really nice products. Bose has neither.

--Andre

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Does Loewe sell in the US now? If so, wish I had known that in May! I had a Loewe tv in Vienna, and it was beautiful. Don't know if the picture quality was any better than anything else (it was about 20" CRT) but it certainly looked about as good as something of that size and shape could.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They left the US market a while ago, but since OP is in Australia, perhaps he might still have access to them.

--Andre

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
TouchÃ
00a9.png
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads