• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lasts and bespoke shoe makers

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I'll come back next Tuesday for a fitting then?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I love foot cast!
There is alot of tailors on savile row that could need some help. Maybe a torso cast would be a good start:)

X-post from Shoe Construction:

The foot is not static. It is one of the most architecturally complex forms in nature. It constantly changes shape and even dimension.

And a properly fit shoe doesn't just sit on top of the skin like a leaf floating in a pond. In some places the flesh needs to be compressed a little. In some places given its ease. Sometimes the pooling of blood in the foot needs to be accounted for. In most cases the fact that some feet are rigid and some are flaccid needs to be factored in.

Neither a scanner nor a foot cast will do any of this.

Last edited:

Manuel

Reaction score
I love this thread.
I know this thread is old, but I have to intervene.
I will not quote any post, but I want to refer to certain important details.

I think you can not argue with a professional manufactures lasts and shoes as if you are not able to make shoe trees, although it is not my case, I do shoe trees, I can do them by hand or using more modern means... and I'm not talking about copying lathes and computerized scanning.

It is also possible to treat different foot and do the same shoes, provided that the differences are not exaggerated.

On the other hand, you are wrong, for a true master craftsman is no problem to modify any shape to transform it and make any model of shoe.

On the other hand, digital platforms analyzed the tread on static and dynamic and give much information.

With respect to plaster molds are a very useful medium, serious indications-are essential, the big problem is always the same, if you're not a true master craftsman can not understand it, perhaps, the images are always better than a thousand words.

I will try to prepare a series of photographs to show, though .... the problem is that not have much time, patience.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads