• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel Pins, Yay or nay?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay I have one that I wear because it belonged to my great aunt who was like a mother to me. It's just gold with her initials MC.
What say you on others?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
It makes one look like a politician in the U.S. I'm too honest to want to be associated with those folk.

scot

Reaction score
Attention! Eyes front!
What's that on your chest, mister?

-It's a lapel pin, sir.
-A lapel pin!

On your Suit?

Just tell me, mister,
what forum would pledge...

a man like you?

It's a Style Forum pin, sir.

Report to the stable tonight
and every night at 0800 hours.

Without that lapel pin!

Do you understand?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loathe the American flag lapel pins so beloved of scoundrely politicians.

Small, discreet lapel pins of long-established, well-respected fraternal and public service organizations are probably okay: Masons, Kiwanis, Rotary, that sort of thing.

If you have the ribbon for the Medal of Honor or a similar award of valor, of course!

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

Small, discreet lapel pins of long-established, well-respected fraternal and public service organizations are probably okay: Masons, Kiwanis, Rotary, that sort of thing.

If you have the ribbon for the Medal of Honor or a similar award of valor, of course!

Agreed.

The only lapel pins I would wear are the one from my school at Columbia and a PBK key lapel pin -- and only to events related to the respective institutions.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear one. I got one a long time ago, for someting that I am very proud of, and the chance of my ever meeting anybody who actually knows what it is is close to zero.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't really like them as a form of jewelry.

Mercedes-Benz's Mileage Club used to give out small lapel pins in addition to the grille badges to people who had more than 250,000 KM on their cars, so the "Old-Timers" could sort each other out at gatherings. But of course, who wears a lapelled jacket to gatherings anymore?

Aureus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't really like them as a form of jewelry.

Mercedes-Benz's Mileage Club used to give out small lapel pins in addition to the grille badges to people who had more than 250,000 KM on their cars, so the "Old-Timers" could sort each other out at gatherings. But of course, who wears a lapelled jacket to gatherings anymore?

Me? with jeans of course.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yes if it done in the right way - i guess it is 1 of those thing it might not be right for every1 but for some it will work i guess it is a case of you'll know it when you see it!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A chap at work wore his blood donor lapel pin (you get it after a certain number of pints/points) the other day. Looked quite swish. Not for me I don't think, but never say never. Depends on the pin I guess.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think perhaps, that I'd pin it to my briefcase.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is very common in Japan for employees of major companies to wear lapel pins with their company logo. As it is so common it loses the stylish edge and looks only so good as the logo.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

gw.JPG

220px-Hillary_Rodham_Clinton.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads