• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lace up shirts

rcm55910

Reaction score
I was considering buying a lace up v neck sweater from armani exchange and was wondering if a men's shirt that laced up would get too many funny looks.

High_Roller

Reaction score
Alright, these medeival style shirts that lace up are very trendy, and unless it's someone that knows nothing about fashion, i doubt you'll get any weird looks.

It's good your buying from AX, though, since if u do get lots of looks and not want to wear it anymore, it's not like you blew a thousand dollars for a shirt you don't wear.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"these medeival style shirts that lace up are very trendy, and unless it's someone that knows nothing about fashion, i doubt you'll get any weird looks."

Heh, most guys ARE clueless about fashion, so you probably would get weird looks (I can't say I've see the shirts you're talkign about so don't listen to me, I might be totally wrong). Well at least most of the guys around here are. I haven't seen the shirts you're talking about. Are they from the fall 2002 lines? Haven't really checked that stuff out yet..

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, i suppose it all depends on where you live. it would be appropriate if you live in, say, the middle ages, or perhaps one of the spanish colonies in the new world.

ha. just kidding. if you are in NYC or San Fran, etc. it might work. however, you might want to consider how much you wanna pay for this, given it may be completely OUT next year (as many high-fashion items are).

good Lord....i can't imagine even owning a lace up shirt or sweater. if it were me, i would buy a good black leather blazer, or something similar that will always be stylish at the club.

jst

Reaction score
I have to concur that it all depends on where you live.
Cali and NY might be fine. If you live in the Midwest, be ready for some really funny looks, even in the more metropolitan places like Chicago. If you live in the South, you'd better be a big guy or have a lot of friends with you or some good old boys may want to administer some downhome 'sexual correcting' assuming that wearing that shirt you are of the alternative lifestyle persuasion.

Also agree that you run the risk of the look being completely out ten minutes after you buy it.

rcm55910

Reaction score
haha well thanks for the responses. The shirt is only 78 dollars so I figure if I cant wear it past this season it wont be that huge of a waste. The city I live in Pittsburgh and its sort of prgressive so I dont think I need to worry about any "sexual correcting." One more question though would it be smart to get the shirt a size smaller than usual considering I only have an average toned frame(5'11/158).

High_Roller

Reaction score
I think it depends on how the company makes the sizes. For example: Gucci's sizes run much smaller. I think A|X Clothing's sizes would run the same as your typical Gap, American Eagle or AF. Since they are all somewhat targeted to the same kind of people (early 20's, late teens) . I may be wrong, though. But if i am right, (haha) find out what size fits you best in those brands (Gap, etc.) then buy that size from A|X. I am only saying this assuming you have a Gap, AE or AF store near you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually haven't seen too many of these shirts being worn. I think that they were the thin edge of the wedge in terms of the so-called "ethnic" trend popular with Italian designers for S/S 2002 (Cavalli and Iceberg really went off the deep end with this one).

I did see one guy wearing one at Maxfield earlier this year. Of course, he was also wearing billowing Lawrence of Arabia style pants, leather sandals, and carrying a matching suede bag, so maybe he wouldn't be your best example of good taste or restraint.

I would go with a variation of the more rugged looking henley. Miu Miu had some good ones, as did Prada, and you should be able to find the former on sale for about as much as the A|X shirt by now.

BTW, buy the shirt in your regular size, and not a size smaller. If you are skinny or fat, you'll look sort of stupid. If you are a musclehead, you've got to realize that no one wants to admire your muscles the way that you might.

And finally: leather blazers are not the way to go. They reek of guys trying hard to be hip and not quite getting there, of guys queuing at cheap clubs and celebrity sighters.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
heh LA Guy. I remember complaining about people with black leather coats a few months back. Most people buy these cheap black leather blazers or coats and totally don't understand how bad they look in them. To them it's black leather so it MUST be cool ;p

I maintain that you've gotta be really careful buying leather goods cause a lot of it is in really poor taste. And ya, far too many people sport black leather jackets and think they're the **** just for that reason.

davei

Reaction score
If Le Chateau is selling them, you know they're going to go out of style in 15 minutes
smile.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol davei that's so true ;p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads