• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L.L. Bean turtleneck shirts

Vito

Reaction score
My girlfriend likes the dark turtleneck-dark cord sportjacket-faded Levi's look, so I go with it as often as possible.

I want to buy a few new turtleneck shirts to replace my old ones. I checked the L.L. Bean online catalog, where I found turtlenecks that meet my requirements: 100% cotton, long-sleeve, inexpensive price tags.

But I've never bought any LLB products before, and I have some questions about the fit and appearance of their turtlenecks. Are they kind of roomy and baggy, like Land's End turtlenecks? Are they bulky and heavy, designed for extremely cold winter weather? My build is athletic, but a little on the "slight" side, and I don't want to buy a tn that's made for the large/portly type of guy.

Any help will be appreciated.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vito
My girlfriend likes the dark turtleneck-dark cord sportjacket-faded Levi's look, so I go with it as often as possible.
You're cleary a slut, but I like that about you so I'll respond to your post.

I've been very happy with all the Bean sweaters I've purchased over the years. Bean offers so many styles and fabrics that you can find as many heavy sweaters for winter as you can light ones for the shoulder seasons.

I would describe my build as athletic and on the slim side, and their stuff fits me well without being baggy. I have to admit, though, that most of my Beanwear is pretty old, so if they've changed their sizing in the last five or ten years, all bets are off. At the same time, that speaks well of the longevity of their clothing.

Another plus with Bean is that they offer a lot of their shirts and sweaters in Tall sizes. Because I'm lanky, I buy some of their stuff in size Large and some in Medium-Tall. I think most of my Bean turtlenecks are Medium-Talls.

Bean's return/exchange policy defines the word "liberal," so shop your heart out.

Vito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I've been very happy with all the Bean sweaters I've purchased over the years. Bean offers so many styles and fabrics that you can find as many heavy sweaters for winter as you can light ones for the shoulder seasons.

I would describe my build as athletic and on the slim side, and their stuff fits me well without being baggy. I have to admit, though, that most of my Beanwear is pretty old, so if they've changed their sizing in the last five or ten years, all bets are off. At the same time, that speaks well of the longevity of their clothing.

Another plus with Bean is that they offer a lot of their shirts and sweaters in Tall sizes. Because I'm lanky, I buy some of their stuff in size Large and some in Medium-Tall. I think most of my Bean turtlenecks are Medium-Talls.

Bean's return/exchange policy defines the word "liberal," so shop your heart out.

Thanks for the tip -- I'll give LLB a try if I can't find anything at the stores in the next few days.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I wear quite a bit of LL Bean stuff as well and being tall and slim, it fits me quite well.

I don't believe they've changed their sizing at all as I've just recently purchased some additional shirts and they fit quite well. I wear the Tall sizes as well which ensures that the sleeves are long enough.

However, as the previous poster stated, they have an extremely good return policy so feel free to purchase and if the shirts do seem to large for you, don't worry about it - you can send them back.

Vito

Reaction score
I got the LLB turtlenecks in the mail a few days ago and I like 'em. They look good and the fit is perfect. And they're a good deal for $15 each, just the kind of "recession special" I'm always looking for.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads