Kia got Style?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SoulPatcher, Aug 28, 2009.

1. SoulPatcher

SoulPatcher Senior member

As a few may know, Kia has put in a major effort to revamping themselves and actually filled their chief Designer position with Peter Schreyer, formerly of Audi, to supply the new look. Doing some work with Kia on the Forte, and curious to see what you guys think of the new design(s).

Here is a vid of Peter going over the details of the Forte design:

2. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Still ugly. But its competitors are pretty ugly too.

3. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Not great looking, but just a bit better than average compared to cars in its class. You can see lots of "borrowed" design cues from other cars which makes the car appear confused to me -- it tries to have aggressive and sporty elements, yet most of the car is designed in a way that makes it look stocky and bulky, as if to give the illusion that it is larger and possibly more spacious than its competition. Interesting they didn't have any clear profile shots of the car in the video.

4. js4design

js4design Senior member

if saturn can make a good looking car, then i think the potential is there for anybody.

5. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

if saturn can make a good looking car, then i think the potential is there for anybody.

They're just stealing cars from Opel.

6. js4design

js4design Senior member

They're just stealing cars from Opel.

everything i've read has this generation of the opel gt as a rebadged saturn sky, hence the production in delaware. plus either way it goes i don't think it counts as stealing since they're both under gm.

7. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
  8. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

everything i've read has this generation of the opel gt as a rebadged saturn sky, hence the production in delaware. plus either way it goes i don't think it counts as stealing since they're both under gm.

Were under GM... it was GM's euro design team that did the Opels, but they weren't really intended for US sales, so in a way it was "stealing." They saw a great looking car and just sent them over here so they didn't have to spend money designing another car for the US market; it was a smart move, I'd say. As for upcoming Saturns, I would guess it all depends on what Penske wants to do with it now that they own it.

9. SoulPatcher

SoulPatcher Senior member

Not great looking, but just a bit better than average compared to cars in its class. You can see lots of "borrowed" design cues from other cars which makes the car appear confused to me -- it tries to have aggressive and sporty elements, yet most of the car is designed in a way that makes it look stocky and bulky, as if to give the illusion that it is larger and possibly more spacious than its competition. Interesting they didn't have any clear profile shots of the car in the video.

The video did lack a side view as you noted. Here is a profile shot link from the motortrend review:
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_08.html

The auto press generally feels it is a step in the right direction, and combined with the previous car he designed (the Soul), a fairly large departure from their past designs. That said, I did enjoy your analysis.

That is correct, both Saturn and Vauxhall are just different versions of existing Opels for different countries.

10. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

The video did lack a side view as you noted. Here is a profile shot link from the motortrend review:
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_08.html

The auto press generally feels it is a step in the right direction, and combined with the previous car he designed (the Soul), a fairly large departure from their past designs. That said, I did enjoy your analysis.

Interesting... looks a bit more Acura TSX from the side.

11. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I don't know if Kia has style but style is really not determined by the badge on the front. The Saturn Sky is a sweet-looking car, and every design Lexus ever puts out is a piece of dog pile. You ever look at a 5-10 year old Lexus? They look like jelly beans.

12. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

I think this is great. Causes the other manufacturers to really up the game level. Porsche still has leather as an option and sells the base models with plastic. I find that unacceptable. Jaguar on the other hand does not let a car leave the factory with anything other then leather and suede.

13. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I think this is great. Causes the other manufacturers to really up the game level. Porsche still has leather as an option and sells the base models with plastic. I find that unacceptable. Jaguar on the other hand does not let a car leave the factory with anything other then leather and suede.

They also do not let a car leave the factory without engine failures.

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Honestly, this is a pretty good car. Starts at under $15k, 174 horses, 25/32 MPG, Kia warranty, etc. It will sell like hotcakes.

15. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

They also do not let a car leave the factory without engine failures.

Wow your about 15 years to late with that remark. Won JD Powers award over honda and toyota last year. Try again [​IMG]