• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just purchased first Brioni suit. Needs minor tailoring. Looking for advice!

DannyVegas

Reaction score
After a few months of looking to up my style game (and paying attention to this forum), I was finally able to score what I think was a pretty fantastic deal on a NWT Brioni Brunico suit off Ebay. Ended up paying $1200. After I go into some specifics, would love some feedback from the pros in here as to whether or not I did well (or should keep the suit).

It's a charcoal gray color, seemingly a good staple suit for my wardrobe. Formal for business (I am in finance), but stylish and fashion forward enough for more fun settings like a cocktail hour or something of that nature. This is what I was looking for.

I am generally a 38R jacket with a 31-32 waist. This particular suit is 38R with a 31 waist. I am 6' and fairly slender. The shoulders fit well. The jacket has a nice silhouette and a moderately suppressed waist, but I do think I want to take it in a little bit for a more tapered look that accentuates my frame.

Aside from that, I think I need to take out the waist about 1/2 inch. I have read that for slimmer folks, it makes more sense to take out the waist of a slightly smaller size than to take in the waist of a larger size assuming fit is otherwise good on legs/thighs, as it is with this suit.

With that said, I am looking for a little feedback on the presumed alterations and whether or not this sounds like a worthwhile suit to keep. Would also greatly appreciate recommendations for a trustworthy tailor in the Boston area.

The fabric and fit of the suit is generally fantastic save for these what should be relatively minor alterations. My all-in cost for such a high quality garment seems very reasonable, and I hope my homework and diligence ends up being rewarded by a high quality staple suit for many years to come.

Thanks guys!

DannyVegas

Reaction score
Here is a stock photo of the suit. I'll add some photos while wearing it for tailoring/fit advice when I have a chance.

s-l1600.jpg

Chris Callisto

Reaction score
I vote to keep the suit.

It's neutral so you'll get a lot of wear of it - and from what I read, it doesn't need much tailoring.

Plus, everyone deserves to feel like James Bond in a Brioni suit at least once in their life.

CC

Emivenc

Reaction score
I like it. And the tailoring won’t cost you much at all to alter the suit to fit you as it should best. Don’t know the cost in Boston but I doubt it will cost you that much.

Eucris

Reaction score
In my opinion, that's an excessive amount of wonga to spend on a RTW suit that will barely flatter your physique. Personally, if I was spending that kind of money, I'd be veering for bespoke or MTM at the very least.

That being said, it's your decision that matters.

Emivenc

Reaction score
In my opinion, that's an excessive amount of wonga to spend on a RTW suit that will barely flatter your physique. Personally, if I was spending that kind of money, I'd be veering for bespoke or MTM at the very least.

That being said, it's your decision that matters.

How much is bespoke usually in the US?

If you want excellent bespoke in UK you end up looking at £3000

Eucris

Reaction score
How much is bespoke usually in the US?

If you want excellent bespoke in UK you end up looking at £3000
I'm not familiar with bespoke tailoring in the US, but there are visiting tailors (from HK, Italy & U.K) that regularly ply their trade in the U.S.
Obviously the OP's budget does not extend to Savile Row prices, but there are suitable alternatives.

Andy_00

Reaction score
If this is close to being a good fit, it is a much better option than almost any mtm I would have thought. Bespoke can be better, but also can be disappointing, and will be at least 2 or 3 times the price.

Emivenc

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with bespoke tailoring in the US, but there are visiting tailors (from HK, Italy & U.K) that regularly ply their trade in the U.S.
Obviously the OP's budget does not extend to Savile Row prices, but there are suitable alternatives.

Yeah Saville row is overpriced slightly because of its heritage.

Used to live in HK some of the prestigious/ well known tailors were actually really good price, so you do have a point there. Perhaps 12,000 hkd for bespoke sometimes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads