• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just moved to London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
I'm not Lakshmi and I'm somewhat annoyed by your inconsideration.

You shouldn't be annoyed. It is part of the culture of this messageboard. Stick around a while and you will understand that no harm was intended.

You should be much more annoyed about the incessant trolls.

Ruprecht

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm looking to equip myself with a well-cut 3/4 length rain coat / mac coat -- as well as several pairs of well-made shoes -- as well so recommendations are definitely appreciated.

Till then.

Cordings for the coats. Edward Green for the shoes.

I like your heart attack story. Do many people fall for it?

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ruprecht
Cordings for the coats. Edward Green for the shoes.

I like your heart attack story. Do many people fall for it?

There is a name attached to the story so I believe it.

lameduck

Reaction score
Physically in Tower Bridge but mentally in Sloane Square.

Thanks for the great responses.

I happen to like the cut of the shirt collar and the suit a lot. Does Hackett offer MTM shirts and suits? Does the cut look contrived?
Or maybe the model just happens to have a good build?

tailoring_img.jpg

It's a handsome suit, but is likely to be pinned at the back so is perhaps not quite contrived, just a bit exaggerated for advertising sake. Plus, having Jonny Wilkinson model it, it will look even more noticeable.

Regards

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a young chap (mid twenties) who recently relocated to London from New York for career reasons. I must say that I am definitely enjoying the more relaxed -- and in my opinion, healthier -- pace of life here. The people at the office (I work for an investment bank) have also been described as more "humane"!

It goes without saying that I must make sure that my sartorial and grooming needs are well attended to in London. On this note, can someone suggest an exceedingly good hair stylist or barber who can give me a smart haircut? I'm willing to pay for the privilege.

My latest purchase is a Barbour quilted jacket in navy, very stylish, very U, for a bargain price of 69 pounds! I'm looking to equip myself with a well-cut 3/4 length rain coat / mac coat -- as well as several pairs of well-made shoes -- as well so recommendations are definitely appreciated.

Till then.

Welcome to the UK. You'll love it here. Well actually, first you'll hate it, then you'll love it, then hate it again, then you'll learn to look at the world with a jaded but contented eye.
tongue.gif

The raincoat can be found either at Burberry (for a classic trench), or I found a very decent mid-calf one with removable Gore-Tex lining from Ede & Ravenscroft. There are many more widely available - the damp weather is never that far away...

The shoes? The shoe world is your oyster, though the pearls available vary in cost depending on lustre...
smile.gif
If you're willing to pay a little extra for high quality, beautiful shoes, wander over to John Lobb, Edward Green and Crockett & Jones. If you want a sturdy, well-made shoe that's a little lighter on the wallet, you could do worse than try Loake's 1880 line in my opinion.

Hackett I'm sure do MTM though I've never particularly taken to them (I do own a couple of RTW garments from them I believe). Stroll through Savile Row and window-shop to get an idea of some of the different silhouettes on offer.

PS. A bit of friendly advice to take or leave as you choose - give it some time before using the English colloquialisms in real life (ie speaking) if you have US accent, or you'll start raising a few eyebrows!
smile.gif

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Welcome to the UK. You'll love it here.

Thank you kindly for your helpful note. I did a bit of online investigation and found that John Lobb and Edward Green shoes tend to cost about 500 pounds, compared to C&J shoes which are about 200 pounds. I noticed that you mentioned them as a group so I am curious if the prices I have are accurate.

I'm trying to learn more about clothing and mannerism of upper class young men in this country. Suggestions on books and websites would be greatly appreciated.

Holdfast, do you happen to be studying or teaching at Oxford?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn more about clothing and mannerism of upper class young men in this country. Suggestions on books and websites would be greatly appreciated.
The Sloane Ranger Handbook; 20 yrs old, but still fairly illuminating, I find: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/020...lance&n=283155 NYT article: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...50C0A962948260 Judging from your handle, though, I suppose this is old territory to you.
To see them in their greatest concentration, if time is limited, walk down Beauchamp (pronounced Beecham) Place past one bijou boutique after another. Caroline will have a mane of thick (but manageable) hair, held back perhaps by a 1960's velvet-covered hairband. There wil be a Hermes scarf somewhere in evidence (perhaps tied around the strap of her shoulder bag). In winter, she will be wearing a Loden coat; in summer a dress (probably Liberty print). The sportif Caroline will wear a lambswool crewneck sweater in a clear color with the lace collar of a blouse turned over it. She may wear jeans or a skirt in navy, burgundy or olive with colored pantyhose and low-heeled Gucci shoes. Henry will be wearing a bespoke suit, dotted tie and silk handkerchief (probably also spotted). Or, perhaps, he will sport his casual garb: jeans, decent tweed jacket and either a navy Guernsey or olive army sweater; sometimes he will brighten the outfit with a yellow pullover. On Beauchamp Place Caroline will buy Indian silk and cotton separates at Monsoon (No. 53), where cotton skirts are about $35; sophisticated day and evening clothes at Caroline Charles and Regamus (8 and 17); real jewelry at Don Cooper, Emeline and Jones (40,45 and 52) and good fake stuff at Ken Lane (50). At Emeline, women come to admire the designs and buy the Chinese freshwater pearls from $168 for a single strand to $1,400 for a multistrand wrap. Ken Lane has delicate flower earrings from $9.80 to $77 and bracelets from $21 to $98. Jeans and casual gear come from Shaw's (48). Most of Henry's clothes are old or made by tailors and shirtmakers on Savile Row or Jermyn Street, but he stocks up on ties and socks at Thorn, Deborah and Clare (14).
Fulham Road is full of shops popular with Rangers and new ones open up all the time. But among the well-established favorites is Tatters (No. 74), which sells wedding dresses and ballgowns from $420 to $1,400 for the only two occasions on which little Sloanes, as they are known among shopkeepers, really spend money. Tatter also stocks Victorian frills. Others are Piero di Monzi (70) for Italian chic; Chelsea Cobbler (164), for shoes and bags, and Butler and Wilson (189) for jewelry. Piero di Monzi is good for very handsome women's suits at $490 and suits for men at $420. The piece de resistance is a black velvet cape at $700.
Admittedly, the NYT article is from 1984 or so, but the Sloane phenomenon seems eternal. And then, there's the Sloane Ranger Directory: http://www.tomfolio.com/bookdetailssu.asp?b=42851&m=40

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Truefitt & Hill on St James used to be a go-to place for haircuts, but I suppose on who's behind the chair.

YoungFogey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
What have we here? A Hooray Henry in the making?
Watch for the traps - from now on, it's pudding not deserts.
And most important, never touch a fish knive (they really are non-U).

Yeah, this guy's studied his Nancy Mitford. Sounds a bit Trying Too Hard. (Though if you're keen on working on it, you could start referring to your employer as a "merchant bank".)

And English people love to be called "chap", "old bean" and the like.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you kindly for your helpful note. I did a bit of online investigation and found that John Lobb and Edward Green shoes tend to cost about 500 pounds, compared to C&J shoes which are about 200 pounds. I noticed that you mentioned them as a group so I am curious if the prices I have are accurate.

More or less.

Lobb has a Prestige line which is a bit more expensive (and very beautiful), though their classic line also features some very elegant shoes. I feel both ranges are worth the money. EG sounds about right, though I personally don't own any (yet!). C&J has a higher Handgrade line, which I find hits a nice sweet spot between price and quality. They're about £350-ish.

I believe the Summer Sales are due to start shortly, but don't know the exact dates. Other times of the year, random bargains can be had at the respective factory outlets up in Northampton (about an hour and a half to two hours up the M1 from London).

Loake 1880 is much cheaper - about £100-120ish from memory but far less elegant and beautiful than the above. Very good for more damp days though.

For shoes, you're really best off asking some of the more knowledgeable forum members - jcusey, aportnoy et al. I really know very little about them beyond what I think looks pretty and what doesn't!

Hmm, having come into contact with large numbers of them over the years, I'm not entirely convinced all their mannerisms are to be aped. Then again, coming from a professional/upper-middle background, I would say that, wouldn't I!
laugh.gif

If you're interesting in studying the species however, I recommend people-watching in the greener parts of London (I'm reliably informed such areas exist) and the more affluent parts of the Home Counties and yes, around some of the older university cities.

Holdfast, do you happen to be studying or teaching at Oxford?
Yes, studied here for 6 years... then somehow managed to get away for a year, before returning to work in Oxford and the surrounding area (not in anything to do with the University, though I do end up teaching some of their students as part of my job). It's a nice part of the UK - worth having a look around if you have time while you're in the country, between all those long hours at the bank!

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you in London now? This is a good one for rubbing shoulders with a few chinless wonders: http://www.russiansummerball.com/

Morris

Reaction score
There is a name attached to the story so I believe it.

Investment banking is an universe in which fact is always more ridiculous and accurate than the best fiction.

I recall a fellow who has since moved on who received such little sleep over a lengthy period that he began to lose feeling in his face and part of his arm ... not a stroke, but he does have after effects from the episode.

Best of luck in London sloaney ... I did the obligatory stop at Cordings, C&J and T&A while in town for a meeting. One of my favorite cities.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, just moved to london-- enjoy!!

I wonder if you would be so kind as to take a few cool photos of Savile Row, storefronts/ windows at Edward Green and John Lobb, etc. for us.

I'm living vicariously thru others at the moment, as i'm spending a year overseas on business (middle east), and miss the civilized life of cities like london and NYC.

thanks in advance!!

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
wow, just moved to london-- enjoy!!

I wonder if you would be so kind as to take a few cool photos of Savile Row, storefronts/ windows at Edward Green and John Lobb, etc. for us.

I'm living vicariously thru others at the moment, as i'm spending a year overseas on business (middle east), and miss the civilized life of cities like london and NYC.

thanks in advance!!

It wouldn't take me much effort to take these photos but I don't know if I would feel comfortable taking these photos in public.... please let me think about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads