• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just listed- SULKA Jacket, "Midnight", Epaulettes, Large

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I just listed this Sulka jacket on e-bay. The photos don't do the jacket justice. It's really quite wonderful. The heavy gauge, textured silk is a deep, midnight navy (almost black). All of the pockets, cuffs, epaulettes, etc are lined in black sheepskin leather. The photos don't really show it...but this is a "shirt style" jacket, the bottom hem is vented on either side (7.5" vents).

It's marked a US 42/EU 52 but it runs large and has always been just a tad too big for me. Consequently it was only worn once or twice...and is therefore in perfect condition.

I didn't really know how to price this (Especially because it's somewhat "different", I have no idea what something like this should fetch). That's why I didn't list it here, or give it a "buy-it-now" price.

Check it out. If you have any questions, please ask away. FYI- The closeup photo that shows the leather trim gives the illusion that the material is somehow faded, or dusty. That was simply caused by the flash. I can assure you...the color is rich and deep.
Sulka-T-Neck.jpg

Sulka-Full.jpg

Sulka-Fullclosedadj.jpg

Sulka-Labellarge.jpg

Sulka-Label-Tight.jpg

Sulka-Leathertrim.jpg

Here's the eBay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260194747197

Thanks for looking.

Dennis

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm pretty certain that would have sold here -- the SW&D folks would likely be all over it. "Different' is not a pariah here, just certain kinds of different -- and MC vs SW&D have totally different levels of acceptability, too.

~ Huntsman

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I re-shot the close-up photo of the leather trim. This time I significantly cut down on the amount of bright light that I used in the previous shot. It had interacted strangely with the texture of the silk cloth and had dramatically distorted that photo's "take" of the fabric's finish...making it appear dusty and dirty-looking. Although this photo is far from perfect, the fabric certainly looks much better.

You can see more blue in this photo...but it's actually not quite that blue. I'd say that it's somewhere in between this color, and the color in the previous photos (Although my photo skills are generally adequate enough to photograph the custom knives that I make, I'm definitely not a professional photographer).
wink.gif

Sulka-Leatherre-do.jpg

Dennis

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
Fantastic lining. Versace-esque.
I totally agree. And in this case, the comment is so very appropriate.

The person who gave this jacket to me knew that I already owned a number of Sulka pieces...and that for many years I was a major fan of Versace. I still wear Versace once in awhile, but my tastes have defintely toned down since his death (Unfortunately, after Gianni died, the line went downhill...IMHO). I haven't purchased any Versace for a number of years, but by anyone's standards, I still have a very sizeable collection of mens Versace.

But what that person didn't know, was that I have an interesting bit of " Sulka history"...

My grandfather, who passed away about 20 years ago, was one of the best-dressed men I've ever known. He was very much a "natty" dresser and for the better part of his life he shopped almost exclusively at Sulka stores. Needless-to-say he had a magnificent wardrobe. I can still recall the incredible silk suits, pastel shirts, and striking ties. And he had dozens of handmade, lizard-skin shoes (in all sorts of colors), lined in rows on the floor of his closet (And in case you're wondering...my grandfather was definitely straight!).

But my grandfather's sartorial habits were not passed on to my father (don't ask).., and by the time my grandfather was too old to support himself in his grand style, and eventually came to live with my folks, most of his Sulka was long gone. After he died all that I was able to "rescue" were a number of his Sulka ties, a silk shirt- one of dozens that he had handmade in the Phillipines (for many years it was the primary location of his import/export business), and a pair of Sulka pajamas (I still have the ties and shirt...the PJ's have disappeared). His Sulka robes were given to my brother, who passed away 6 years ago. And we've been unable to find out what happened to the robes.
frown.gif

For the most part, I wasn't into "finer" clothes when I was younger... That really didn't happen until shortly before my grandfather's death. But my grandfather and I always did have a certain "affinity" for one another. In fact I lived with him and my grandmother for a couple of years. They had a spectacular condo near Ft Lauderdale. My grandfather was an international "deal broker"...and he had a teletype machine installed in their condo (that was a big deal back then). I remember how he was always flying off to the Philipines, or some exotic South Sea island. He led quite a life.

I've often felt that he's still very much around, influencing my taste in clothes...and in life. How fitting that here I am all these years later, talking about his much beloved Sulka, in an online Style forum.

I wonder how he'd feel about my selling this Sulka jacket.
wink.gif

Dennis

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is very much interesting. I especially liked the comment about his multi-colored lizard-skin shoes, certainly something not often seen in the past, I suspect.

I liked the old Atelier Versace as well, owning a number of the silk shirts, and such things.

Sometimes, ornate is better than restraint.

Your mention of the Philippines and deals also tangentially relates to my grandfather who had a metals factory in Shanghai before the Communists. During the early '50s, he had imported a bulk of raw American steel which, of course, was sent using large ships. Apparently that shipment reached Manila and was left there ever since. We still have the old claim documents, but it's probably a hunk of rust now; and no doubt some hefty storage fees have been incurred for those 50+ years.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I own quite a few of the earlier (better) Versace shirts. I don't wear them much anymore...but I wouldn't dream of parting with most of them (there are a few that don't impress me any more). I miss the days when I used to get so excited over my latest Versace acquisition. Especially the "scarf" silk shirts.... My precious.
biggrin.gif

Back in the days following WWII, my grandfather's business partner in the Phillipine import/export buisness was General Chenault of the Chinese Flying Tigers, who was quite an interesting fellow in his own right. From what my grandfather told me, they had some pretty wild times together. I recall that there used to be a photo on his office wall of the two of them arm-in-arm, standing in front of an airplane. I sure wish I knew the whereabouts of that photo.

Dennis

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Their print ties were also nice. I have one that is a print of a Chinese emperor that also graced a set of chairs that Gianni Versace had in his Miami mansion, which I think were later auctioned by Sotheby's.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I know the tie. They simply don't make ties like that anymore. The cost would be prohibitive.

I own dozens of magnificent Versace ties...many of them "Black Label." Such a shame that I so seldom have the need to get dressed up anymore. Nowadays I only dress very casual, and my focus is on "fun" sportshirts, and boots...lots of boots.

Dennis

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is there canvassing between that wonderful lining and the outer fabric. I don't expect fusing but would be interesting to know if it had horsehair or hymo.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads