• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journalist gets kicked out of Manhattan restaurant

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A blog post from Mark Bittman's Bitten blog on the NYTimes website. Basically, journalist Ron Lieber (writes personal finance columns for the Times) was asked to leave a Manhattan restaurant after walking into the kitchen and berating the chef who was repeatedly and rather loudly dressing down one of the waiters.

Nothing like an NYTimes comment section for some good passive aggressive back and forth.

Who would you have smacked upside the head had you been there?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The NYT journalist!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Chef is a douchebag for screaming-- give me a break. It's ******* 2010. Have some professionalism for Christ's sake.
Journalist is a douchebag for stepping into the kitchen and even thinking about saying a word to the chef.
Everyone who commented on that page is a douchebag for obvious reasons.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Dude, if I'm in a restaurant I don't want to hear the chef dressing down his employees. Smack the ******* chef please. i'm not sure how the journalist handled it (we are lacking details) but I assume it would have been better to go in, tell him you can't support what he is doing then leave.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Dude, if I'm in a restaurant I don't want to hear the chef dressing down his employees. Smack he ******* chef please.

but I would love to hear KWilk getting ripped a new one while the somm caters to my Didier thirst.
frown.gif

any other situation, get the hell out of the kitchen, go in back, then get your yell on. I don't want to hear that ****.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
but I would love to hear KWilk getting ripped a new one while the somm caters to my Didier thirst.
frown.gif

any other situation, get the hell out of the kitchen, go in back, then get your yell on. I don't want to hear that ****.

Well it's also about not letting a hman being treat another human being like that. If you do it in my face i'd like to think I'll step up and tell you to go *************.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, if I'm in a restaurant I don't want to hear the chef dressing down his employees. Smack the ******* chef please. i'm not sure how the journalist handled it (we are lacking details) but I assume it would have been better to go in, tell him you can't support what he is doing then leave.

The blog post (sorry, not obvious link) is pretty detailed. That's more or less what he did, except he went back to his table and expected to finish his meal.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Chef is a douchebag for screaming-- give me a break. It's ******* 2010. Have some professionalism for Christ's sake.
Journalist is a douchebag for stepping into the kitchen and even thinking about saying a word to the chef.
Everyone who commented on that page is a douchebag for obvious reasons.

What would you do as a diner? Mention something to the GM? Just leave?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm ok withthe chef yelling at the staff "in the interest of making everything perfect" provided he is not disturbing his customers. However, the chef had obviously failed at "making it perfect" by making his customers uncomfortable - the comfort of the guests should have been the most important thing here. This guy failed, big time.

That being said, the writer shouldn't have walked into the kitchen, he should have walked out the door.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
I'm ok withthe chef yelling at the staff "in the interest of making everything perfect" provided he is not disturbing his customers. However, the chef had obviously failed at "making it perfect" by making his customers uncomfortable - the comfort of the guests should have been the most important thing here. This guy failed, big time.

That being said, the writer shouldn't have walked into the kitchen, he should have walked out the door.

You're ok with the chef bullying his employees unless you hear it? Cool.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
frown.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by adambparker
What would you do as a diner? Mention something to the GM? Just leave?
I'd mention something tot he GM as I'm walking out, or I'd walk out and then give the GM a call the next day or something.
+1. People have this notion of chefs being "badasses" and ruling with an iron fist, which is fine if it's done respectably and responsibly. But the whole bullying thing just smacks of an unprofessional person who shouldn't be in charge of anyone else.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
laugh.gif

I'd mention something tot he GM as I'm walking out, or I'd walk out and then give the GM a call the next day or something.

+1. People have this notion of chefs being "badasses" and ruling with an iron fist, which is fine if it's done respectably and responsibly. But the whole bullying thing just smacks of an unprofessional person who shouldn't be in charge of anyone else.

Some morons think it's cool that Putin is restricting civil liberties and generally acting dictatorial, they find it "manly". Men can be pathetic creatures...(well women too).

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From what I understand that's how it works in restaurants. Now, if he were talking to me like that (if I were an employee) I'd tell him where to shove it. If the employee doesn't like it, they can quit.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
From what I understand that's how it works in restaurants. Now, if he were talking to me like that (if I were an employee) I'd tell him where to shove it. If the employee doesn't like it, they can quit.

This is why I'd never help a woman getting beatup by her boyfriend; if she doesn't like it she can leave...

ps: you watch too much TV, that's not how it works in restaurants...but then you have an Ayn Rand alias so you probably think **** is A ok.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
This is why I'd never help a woman getting beatup by her boyfriend; if she doesn't like it she can leave...

so a tough verbal chef of a boss is now = felony domestic physical abuse?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
From what I understand that's how it works in restaurants.

Based on what, watching Hell's Kitchen?
I know of no reason why effective management techniques and basic human relations should be fundamentally different in a restaurant than in other settings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads