• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson & Murphy vs Ecco

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There really is not much o anything at Macy's that is worth buying unless you are in a flagship store.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would buy a pair of Allen Edmonds in a heartbeat!! The thing is, they have to come from Macy's. I want black slip-ons I can wear with slacks and a dress shirt or with a pair of jeans and a sport coat.

It really has to come from Macy's? Are you using a Macy's gift card or something? Allen Edmonds has a sale going on now and Nordstrom will have AE on sale after Xmas. Here's a link to the AE sale:
http://content.allenedmonds.com/htmllinks/1150to150weblink.html

For the same price or less as some of those Macy's shoes you can get a pair of AE's which will be much better quality. Call or email the AE shoebank and ask for a list of shoes in your size. Not sure what Nordstrom will have after Xmas but last sale Strands were $199.

I have no idea what else you have in your closet but you might want to reconsider the choice of black slip-ons as well. You mentioned these will be drinking shoes. Do you want slip-ons so you can get trashed and not worry about laces, or do you want something that women will find attractive? (Women notice shoes.) Lace-ups work "with slacks and a dress shirt or with a pair of jeans and a sport coat." Boots and monk straps work too.

Fred

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would buy a pair of Allen Edmonds in a heartbeat!! The thing is, they have to come from Macy's. I want black slip-ons I can wear with slacks and a dress shirt or with a pair of jeans and a sport coat.
can you at least get 'em in brown? :)

codetomorrow

Reaction score

....I have no idea what else you have in your closet but you might want to reconsider the choice of black slip-ons as well. You mentioned these will be drinking shoes. Do you want slip-ons so you can get trashed and not worry about laces, or do you want something that women will find attractive? (Women notice shoes.) Lace-ups work "with slacks and a dress shirt or with a pair of jeans and a sport coat." Boots and monk straps work too.
Fred

I just don't like laces. It's a personal thing.

EDIT: and being frank, if my shoes are the only reason I'm getting laid then I've got bigger problems than shoes.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered actual loafers? What do you do about running shoes? Velcro?

Last edited:

codetomorrow

Reaction score

Have you considered actual loafers? What do you do about running shoes? Velcro?

Well I'm in the Army I've got my lace up boots and pt shoes of course. Day to day I just like convenience. I wear vans a lot but they never get untied and I have a pair of slip on doc martins I wear a lot. Love flip flops.

codetomorrow

Reaction score
Thinking about dress shoes in particular. I hate those thin crappy laces.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what It's worth, I still have the Ecco windsor loafer, It's my beater pair. I can also testify that they are pretty comfortable, although they no longer compare to my fully broken in Allen Edmonds. The leather became drastically wrinkled quickly, even though this model is suppose to have calf skin leather. At full retail I cannot condone Eccos, at discount maybe.

Actually, now that I think about it, have you had your feet measured? It you have wide feet, your options are greatly limited.

rwaldron

Reaction score
In General, does the Ecco brand or the J&M brand produce a higher quality shoe?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So my aunt is buying me some shoes for christmas. Not pricy just something to wear with jeans and slacks when I go out drinking. These are the two we picked out and I just wanted to get some opinions. What do you guys think?
EDIT: I would buy a pair of Allen Edmonds in a heartbeat!! The thing is, they have to come from Macy's. I want black slip-ons I can wear with slacks and a dress shirt or with a pair of jeans and a sport coat.
Johnson & Murphy Goodwins http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1216&pid=54504

or
Ecoo Helsinki http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/mens/dress/helsinki-bicycle-toe-slip-on/2245/detail.aspx

Both too formal for the intended purpose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads