• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb Paris questions

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I am considering buying a pair of John Lobbs. I need help on a couple of questions. First, is the only difference between prestige and classic lines that of the beveled waist or are there other qualitative differences? Secondly what is the Pewter museum color? Is it a gray color or a shade of brown? And is it versatile like a brown or is it more limited like a gray?

Since the nearest JL store is at least a 1000 miles away from where I live, I will have to order online and hence the above questions.

Thanks for your input. I have learned a lot from surfing this forum and advice offered by the forum members.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you buying bespoke or RTW? If RTW, i believe some NM carries some as well as Hermes shops. If bespoke I'd make the trip to make sure things are right.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Poshak Man
Secondly what is the Pewter museum color? Is it a gray color or a shade of brown? And is it versatile like a brown or is it more limited like a gray?

It varies quite a lot from one pair to another.

Some pairs have a strong brownish tint; others a deeper grey/black tint. Most are somewhere in between. I find it a versatile colour, even if the pair you get are at the greyer end of the spectrum with little brown hue.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Are you buying bespoke or RTW? If RTW, i believe some NM carries some as well as Hermes shops. If bespoke I'd make the trip to make sure things are right.

My question is around RTW JLs.

Rollo Tomasi

Reaction score
If you can afford Prestige, do the Prestige. The heel is higher and the instep feels better overall for me. The included shoe trees also closes the gap somewhat on the price difference. You also wont have to pay tax if you don't have a JL store in your state. Overall, you get a better return on investment. The pewter museum grey is more like a dark/grey black. You can probably do worse, but if you're looking for a brown, I would personally get the dark brown museum calf.

woolymammoth

Reaction score
JL Presitige come with shoe trees if I remember correctly whereas Classic does not.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah-- if you're buying lobb, go Prestige. otherwise, you might do better to simply get a nice pair of crockett and jones, paul stuart, or RLPL shoes.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in terms of looks, i don't find many (if any) of the classic-line styles inspiring. but that's just me and my taste in shoes. It so happens the ones I like are prestige, so I would go with prestige, even if it costs a bit more.

Also, i think pewter is a fun color to get if you already have a robust rotation. Otherwise, I would opt for dark brown museum or parisian brown, and save the pewter for a time when I can afford to be more adventurous with $1500 shoes.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
in terms of looks, i don't find many (if any) of the classic-line styles inspiring. but that's just me and my taste in shoes. It so happens the ones I like are prestige, so I would go with prestige, even if it costs a bit more.

The classic line doesn't appeal to me in the same way the prestige line does.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your responses. It seems that at full price prestige line is clearly better than the classic line. But what about certain sellers offering prestige and classic line subs at the same price. The prestige line subs don't come with the lasted trees. Would you then be indifferent between the prestige and classic line subs shoes and just go with a style that you prefer?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Poshak Man
Thanks to all for your responses. It seems that at full price prestige line is clearly better than the classic line. But what about certain sellers offering prestige and classic line subs at the same price. The prestige line subs don't come with the lasted trees. Would you then be indifferent between the prestige and classic line subs shoes and just go with a style that you prefer?

It's not just the trees. The sole treatment on the Prestige shoes is nicer and more elegant.

If you want to figure out your size, call up the John Lobb boutique in NYC and have them send you a few pairs to try on. The Prestige shoes come in two lasts, 7000 and 8000. Each fits a little differently. They'll charge you as if you were buying all of them, but they'll refund you as soon as you send them back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads