• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb or Edward Green?

Leather man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Both brands are made with gemming, and therefore, entirely worthless.

You might as well smother each foot in dog excrement.

- B

Great comment! I've thrown out my whole ready to wear English shoe collection gemmed as they all are and now only buy shoes from Walmart ( or Asda as it is known in the UK) - since they are just as good as Edward Green, so I hear
rotflmao.gif

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigRed
I know both are great but which do you personally prefer and why? John Lobb or Edward Green? Also how do you feel Ferragamo Tramezza compares to either of these brands?

Thank you.

Edward Green. I am not much for the marbling affect of John Lobb shoes. Don't get me wrong, Lobbs are very nice, and I would consider one of their offerings in a traditional solid black or brown finish.

Drew Goodall

Reaction score
When I grow up I am going to have a pair of Lobbs and where them everyday to the day I die. Edward Green nice too - bit on the conservative side though.

Drew

coolshoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You've just identified the reason why I prefer Museum calf to EG's antiquing. The mottled appearance of the Museum calf could never be mistaken for antiquing; it's just a way of finishing the leather differently. You might like it, you might hate it, but it's not an attempt to fake something. I like it because it can add a lot of depth--particularly in the case of lighter colors.

The EG antiquing, on the other hand, is specifically intended to simulate age and wear. Conceptually, I find that tasteless. Visually, it's always obvious it's fake. Anyway, as I understand it, the antiquing is done with polish on top of the finished leather, so it isn't even permanent. Total fail.

Many Lobbs with Museum Calf bring to mind pictures I see on the walls of my dermatologist's office.

If one doesn't care for EG's antiquing, simply order the shoes without and allow the leather to age naturally and gracefully. Or order them with "light antiquing" which to my experience eliminates dark concentrations on the toes and heels. When you do this nothing looks artificial or fake. I love EGs and that's how I like 'em.

brandall10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolshoes
Many Lobbs with Museum Calf bring to mind pictures I see on the walls of my dermatologist's office.

It makes me think of gold leaf on a ceiling. It's strictly ornamentive and only a fool would not know what's going on. One's man elegance is another's cheese. I agree with mafoo as far as intent.

As to the EG's, in the guitar world the same thing goes - you can pay twice as much for a Les Paul reissue if it's "Murphy Aged". You know, throw the guitar in the oven at 350 for a half a day, then the freezer overnight... take a chisel to the finish here or there, a belt buckle to the back, extinguish a few cigarettes on the headstock, finish off with a nice coat of beer. Some people hate it, but when you put one on your lap it's hard to deny the art of it all - it will fool many into thinking they're holding a 50 year old guitar.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drydis Greis
Edward Green. I am not much for the marbling affect of John Lobb shoes. Don't get me wrong, Lobbs are very nice, and I would consider one of their offerings in a traditional solid black or brown finish.

Originally Posted by srivats
^ Those are awesome!

Originally Posted by SergoFan
Edward Green. The best classic shoes.

Agreed EG all the way

young Ego

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drew Goodall
When I grow up I am going to have a pair of Lobbs and where them everyday to the day I die. Edward Green nice too - bit on the conservative side though.

Drew

When my pocket book grows up I'm going to buy a pair of JL William II's. Then for anything else I'll go with Edward Green.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was really surprised when I first saw Lobb Williams and EG Westminsters (the EG version of a double monk) side by side. The Lobbs just didn't look right. The EGs looked better proportioned and better designed. Of course, YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads