• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb or Edward Green?

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
A few pages back someone threw G&G into the mix. I like my pair of G&G, but I put them significantly below both EG & Lobb. They're very fancy and stylish but execution (in terms of form and details) is not up to snuff with EG/Lobb. Hopefully this will improve with time.
really? In what sense? I've never owned a pair of G&G but I always admired what I considered it to be the "execution" as in the bevelled waist, the overly neat welt stitching, and an overall clean and proper aesthetic. admittedly I don't know much at all about actual construction behind the scenes, but first impressions were supreme to me. Ont he otehr hand, my EG's in comparison seemed to be rough around the edges with cream smeared around the edges, nails not all completely flush with the sole, etc. I was under the impression that G&G operated a LOT like EG in terms of construction method (could be waaay off) so beyond the the construction and details,what exactly do you mean?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
really? In what sense? I've never owned a pair of G&G but I always admired what I considered it to be the "execution" as in the bevelled waist, the overly neat welt stitching, and an overall clean and proper aesthetic.

admittedly I don't know much at all about actual construction behind the scenes, but first impressions were supreme to me.

Ont he otehr hand, my EG's in comparison seemed to be rough around the edges with cream smeared around the edges, nails not all completely flush with the sole, etc.

I was under the impression that G&G operated a LOT like EG in terms of construction method (could be waaay off) so beyond the the construction and details,what exactly do you mean?

I think that Archetypal_Yuppie may have been referring to the overall balance of the shoe designs? That is what I understood by form at least. To my eye EG looks quite a bit more refined and mature than G&G.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
really? In what sense?

I'll try to deal with some less subjective items. Preface: I'm basing my comparisons mostly on the EG Claverton (new model for '09), and the G&G Hayes, which Leffot got as a new shipment about 2 months ago. I've seen many other examples.

1) Medallions/Broguing. There is a very obvious difference in the quality of the hole-punching in the medalions/broguing on my EGs vs my G&Gs. On the EGs, even the very small holes have a clean edge, as if cut by a sharp knife. On my G&G's, the holes have perceptibly rough/torn edges, as though a tearing force rather than a sharpe edge produced the punch hole.

The G&G's punch holes look the same as my C&J's. The EG punch holes are very perceptibly neater.

2) Leather. I'm dealing with a small sample set, assuredly, but my EGs have worn decidedly better than my G&Gs. I don't know if this would be true across the board, but it is definitely true in my shoes.

3) Sole shape. The sole on my EG's had (and still has) a nice ovoidal curve both lengthwise and widthwise, with consistent acceleration of the curvature. In my own, and other G&Gs I've seen, the sole is almost flat to begin with, and sometimes has unexplainable changes in curvature that can't be by design. This is difficult to describe in writing, but you know it when you see it.

People on this forum swoon for the black beveled G&G-style sole, I don't see how it adds anything.

4) Heels. The heels of my G&G's are canted forwards, and don't lie flat on the ground unless I am standing on them. My EGs are flush.

5) My EG's have sunken metal eyelets for the lacing, which are invisible from above. G&G does not have this feature.

6) This is subjective, but I think the finish on the heel/sole edges, leather in general, is more consistent and neater on my EGs.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my G&G shoes, but I can still dispassionately assert that they are not up to snuff with EG in terms of quality. They do have nice flashy looks, and are by no means bad shoes!

888style

Reaction score
1) Medallions/Broguing. There is a very obvious difference in the quality of the hole-punching in the medalions/broguing on my EGs vs my G&Gs. On the EGs, even the very small holes have a clean edge, as if cut by a sharp knife. On my G&G's, the holes have perceptibly rough/torn edges, as though a tearing force rather than a sharpe edge produced the punch hole.
I see something similar when comparing my Vass with my EG's.

5) My EG's have sunken metal eyelets for the lacing, which are invisible from above. G&G does not have this feature.
Some of my sunken metal eyelets on some of my EG's have tendency to eat through my shoe laces like crazy. EG's gave advice of making edge of eyelet more blund with sandpaper or so, and are happy to overnight me new laces for free......but some how it's frustrating. Laces always snap in inconvenient times.

888style

Reaction score
Owning 4 EGs and 1 pair of Vass, I can definitely say Vass is superior in terms of build quality.
My EG's beat my Vass's. Sorry.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I considered asking where one can find Vass in the NY area, then realized I don't want to know. I've got enough on my hands already.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really splitting hairs when it comes to saying which is better quality between Vass and EG. In my opinion it's best to have both so you can make up your mind on what suits your mood that particular morning. :^)

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
It's really splitting hairs when it comes to saying which is better quality between Vass and EG. In my opinion it's best to have both so you can make up your mind on what suits your mood that particular morning. :^)

+1,I agree with the above assessment. I would have 10 pairs of each and enjoy wearing them
smile.gif

Imakeyourshoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
I'll try to deal with some less subjective items. Preface: I'm basing my comparisons mostly on the EG Claverton (new model for '09), and the G&G Hayes, which Leffot got as a new shipment about 2 months ago. I've seen many other examples.

The G&G's punch holes look the same as my C&J's. The EG punch holes are very perceptibly neater.

those holes are cut by something more precise than a sharp knife, they are cut by a laser

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
I own Vass, EG and G&G and fine them all to be pretty similar quality. The G&G and Vass lasts are a better shape in my opinion, for style I would give the edge to G&G

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imakeyourshoes
those holes are cut by something more precise than a sharp knife, they are cut by a laser

You know this for a fact? If so, cool.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My current rotation includes 1 pair of Lobb prestige and Vass, and 2 pairs of EG's. I enjoy them all, but I have been a bit disappointed in my pair of Vass for a couple of reasons. The leather has creased and wrinkled much more noticeably when compared to my Lobb and EG's. Also, the nails in the rubber heel causes occasional slippage when walking on smooth floors which can be quite annoying. But I do like the F last very much. I find the build quality very similar on all 3 brands. I walk about 1 mile daily and I find the EG's to be my most comfortable pair. I've tried on G&G in the store, but decided not to purchase as I prefer the styling of EG's a bit more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads