• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dmill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I don't know about you guys, but it's been really hard to cop anything JE this season. The patterns and stitching on the oro jacket and sweater just insta-kill any chance of me copping it. all these details to make each piece "unique" just makes me want them even less. Jellyfish shirt is cool but $298 is a lot to spend on a short sleeve tee..

As someone else before said... "would you be buying this piece if it wasn't John Elliott?"

srizvi722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a short sleeve button down on average will run you a good $200-500. Marni came out with dope pieces this season, but those are $600. I would have taken a USA made shirt of this design for $228, but being made in Japan, you're gonna get that price increase.

It is pricey in my books, but not enough to complain about it.

Edit--dude's creating heat season after season and causing havoc for all things fashion during fashion week/etc. He has every right to charge $298 for a button down shirt made in Japan. I still find JE prices to to be somewhere between expensive and cheap. And I'm good with that

Last edited:

Fresh718

Reaction score

Man I don't know about you guys, but it's been really hard to cop anything JE this season. The patterns and stitching on the oro jacket and sweater just insta-kill any chance of me copping it. all these details to make each piece "unique" just makes me want them even less. Jellyfish shirt is cool but $298 is a lot to spend on a short sleeve tee..

As someone else before said... "would you be buying this piece if it wasn't John Elliott?"

I agree this season is a lot of passes besides some of the jeans and the pigtail Mercers ... everything else is kinda blah ... I feel like cuz everyone. On the forum is a fan of the brand n cuz of how they do the weekly/bi weekly drops people are kinda hooked into buying things they wouldn't buy if the whole season came out at one time for fear item will sell out and they won't have opportunity to buy in the future ... to add one never really sure wats coming next .. JE traditional quality non unique style is what drew me to brand initially and I don't see it as much this season

Bimmer93

Reaction score
At 30 years old, I'm starting to feel like I'm aging out of most JE stuff that's been coming out recently. Initially, it was a great option for weekend lounge attire, with some cool pieces like the Rider (which is hands down one of the best leather jackets around). Now everything is slightly odd cuts, covered in various stitching, or ripped and paint splattered - even for the pieces that would work well in multiple settings like the cardigan. While there are still some winners, I just can't wear alot of this stuff without looking like a 22 year old instagram hypebeast.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Largely depends on your style. This season caters for those formal type of summer events. Beach items also coming soon. I like many of the items coming out, some of these types of items i generally buy from other brands too.

The shirt price isn't too bad. I spent $800 on slp Hawaiian bowling shirts.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At 30 years old, I'm starting to feel like I'm aging out of most JE stuff that's been coming out recently.  Initially, it was a great option for weekend lounge attire, with some cool pieces like the Rider (which is hands down one of the best leather jackets around).  Now everything is slightly odd cuts, covered in various stitching, or ripped and paint splattered - even for the pieces that would work well in multiple settings like the cardigan.  While there are still some winners, I just can't wear alot of this stuff without looking like a 22 year old instagram hypebeast.

I got 4 years on you so I know what you mean. This season though caters plenty for formal wear. You just have to mix in other brands and items. The jeans aren't that out of place if you pair them with a simple tee and sneakers.

peter1234930

Reaction score
I just can't wear alot of this stuff without looking like a 22 year old instagram hypebeast.
If you rock a bunch of trendy items together you're always going to approach fashion-victim status. My mentality is to balance out louder pieces with more subdued items. If I'm wearing my skittles I'll rock a basic tee and kicks so the fit isn't too flashy, for example. If I bought the oro jacket I'd wear it with a simple white/gray tee and some non-ripped, basic denim and kicks. Just my mentality anyway, I know there are people who like to rock trendy gear head to toe, but that's the kind of thing that will make you cringe when you look at pictures of yourself a few months/years later.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A nikelab jacket like that would run around $250ish+ though. So being JE, it is expensive, but not that badly priced. I do wish it was $<$250

but nikelab you can get on sale new with tags for cheap

i have the nikelab x kim jones windrunner myself instead of grabbing the sail pullover. not exactly same but close enough and was only $90 for me v 600 for sail

03-09-2016_nike_labxkimjoneswindrunner_bluelagoon_clear_sh_1.jpg

Schatzgraber

Reaction score
New skittles price is different on MRP due to stronger pound atm

Jelly shirt is a sweet piece and that thing looks nothing like the sail man come on now

Last edited:

grantmason6882

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you rock a bunch of trendy items together you're always going to approach fashion-victim status. My mentality is to balance out louder pieces with more subdued items. If I'm wearing my skittles I'll rock a basic tee and kicks so the fit isn't too flashy, for example. If I bought the oro jacket I'd wear it with a simple white/gray tee and some non-ripped, basic denim and kicks. Just my mentality anyway, I know there are people who like to rock trendy gear head to toe, but that's the kind of thing that will make you cringe when you look at pictures of yourself a few months/years later.
I agree 100% with this. And I agree with a lot of people today about some of the recent comments on this season's direction. IMO one of JE's greatest strengths is using great fabrics/textures paired with seasonal colors. I think that is the bread and butter of the brand, and all of these separate details take away from the foundation. For example, the Oro flight jacket has a dope fit, awesome colorways; even the "needle punching" designs being used to distinguish the piece are a very cool concept. However, the designs are spastic and all over the place. Maybe if they used only one as a focal point on the back or chest would have been a better balance. Same goes for the sweater. Too many "unique details" overpower the best part about the clothing...the fabric.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New skittles price is different on MRP due to stronger pound atm

Jelly shirt is a sweet piece and that thing looks nothing like the sail man come on now

agreed its not the same but close enough. and its not like the sail is a must have that fills a specific void for most wardrobes. its a statement piece. i just dont have 600 sitting around for a statement piece that i would get 1-2 times wear per year. nike lab windrunners are close enough but there are many other thin windbreakers out there that dont break the bank. again nothing that is the same as sail but lcose enough

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads