• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Atao

Reaction score
If there was ever a time for JE to go weak on the usual BF frenzy, it's this year. I'm gun shy right now anyway, cause I totally have nowhere to go that requires me to look nice.
That’s a fair point this year has been crazy for everyone so it’s understandable that the brand is more focused on navigating through it rather then on BF sales. I totally get it. But for me it’s more about optics for your brand. JE just had a sample sales a month ago with some crazy steals. Like 26oz. La sweats for $98 steals. Why not save them for the BF sale. People in here would have gone crazy if they restocked those at $98.

Wally_SF

Reaction score
Seriously, they'll most certainly outlive me lol. Do the obsidians last/hold up well? Appreciate all the info, most likely going to pull the trigger since they're the cheapest I've seen

Probably not like raws would, but for a clean black pant to keep in rotation I would say yes. If you are looking to beat them, they fade to a white quite quickly which could be interesting

pull the trigger dude

marcus-chi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a fair point this year has been crazy for everyone so it’s understandable the the brand is more focused on navigating through it rather then on BF sales. I totally get it. But for me it’s more about optics for your brand. JE just had a sample sales a month ago with some crazy steals. Like 26oz. La sweats for $98 steals. Why not save them for the BF sale. People in here would have gone crazy if they restocked those at $98.

I dont think it was really that many pairs that went for that price. Maybe only a couple at an unpopular size. That was the only reason it was around anyway cause those sweats sold out twice I think. Plus, I think thats actually better for JE to do it like that. It's plenty of other brands that we think of in the same light as JE that never really have a lot of gear go on sale. ALD is one of the brands like that. I don't know if it was done deliberately or not, but I noticed ALD has scaled back quite a bit on being in other retailers so for the most part the good stuff from their collections you have to buy through them directly. That has in turn created that FOMO feeling when they do drops because you don't know if something you really like is gonna be around if you wait. JE is still in a lot of places, and so I generally never feel a real rush to buy something knowing more than likely it's gonna pop up somewhere and go on sale if I just wait.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think it was really that many pairs that went for that price. Maybe only a couple at an unpopular size. That was the only reason it was around anyway cause those sweats sold out twice I think. Plus, I think thats actually better for JE to do it like that. It's plenty of other brands that we think of in the same light as JE that never really have a lot of gear go on sale. ALD is one of the brands like that. I don't know if it was done deliberately or not, but I noticed ALD has scaled back quite a bit on being in other retailers so for the most part the good stuff from their collections you have to buy through them directly. That has in turn created that FOMO feeling when they do drops because you don't know if something you really like is gonna be around if you wait. JE is still in a lot of places, and so I generally never feel a real rush to buy something knowing more than likely it's gonna pop up somewhere and go on sale if I just wait.
Truth, I think JE is slowly inching towards that. Reducing amounts and bringing back the hype. They don’t want to be known as a discount brand.

Atao

Reaction score
Again a very fair point. I think peoples opinion of JE has shifted over the last couple of years though. Ive seen it on here as well as the fact it goes on sale everywhere. It used to be that full priced items would sell out instantly, then if you waited you might be able to get it on sale, then it will probably go on sale, to now you can probably find it 40% + off somewhere if you look. I still like JE a lot it’s been great to see the brand grow and to see John’s vision come to life but I think brand has been a little watered down the last few years.

jsoo24

Reaction score
A8CB73AF-F753-4D3F-9D20-5594C11CDE1D.jpeg

Tweed baseball

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been here that long but it seems like prices keep going up negating these sales ... I would feel a lot better about lowered MSRP but less widely distributed.

marcus-chi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truth, I think JE is slowly inching towards that. Reducing amounts and bringing back the hype. They don’t want to be known as a discount brand.
Again a very fair point. I think peoples opinion of JE has shifted over the last couple of years though. Ive seen it on here as well as the fact it goes on sale everywhere. It used to be that full priced items would sell out instantly, then if you waited you might be able to get it on sale, then it will probably go on sale, to now you can probably find it 40% + off somewhere if you look. I still like JE a lot it’s been great to see the brand grow and to see John’s vision come to life but I think brand has been a little watered down the last few years.

If you really wanna nerd out about business and mens fashion, just read some of the most current interviews from the dude that started Band Of Outsiders, Scott Sternberg. I can't remember what article I read, but he was basically talking about how they got way too focused on growth and becoming bigger rather than just being cool with being a small-ish label making pretty good money as a niche brand. Before he knew it, they were in every major retailer. With the recent closures of Barneys, and some other big retailers like them you can see that the trend for success is direct to consumer. For one thing, look at how awful stuff gets styled if a lot of these retailers are left to their own devices. That in and of itself is a huge selling point. Nike is the king at this. They will instantly sell out of something on their own site that sits forever on somebody else's and its all because they just marketed the product better and made it look more premium.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you really wanna nerd out about business and mens fashion, just read some of the most current interviews from the dude that started Band Of Outsiders, Scott Sternberg. I can't remember what article I read, but he was basically talking about how they got way too focused on growth and becoming bigger rather than just being cool with being a small-ish label making pretty good money as a niche brand. Before he knew it, they were in every major retailer. With the recent closures of Barneys, and some other big retailers like them you can see that the trend for success is direct to consumer. For one thing, look at how awful stuff gets styled if a lot of these retailers are left to their own devices. That in and of itself is a huge selling point. Nike is the king at this. They will instantly sell out of something on their own site that sits forever on somebody else's and its all because they just marketed the product better and made it look more premium.
Yeah I think it was a NYT article you’re talking about, it was really good. I’ll have to find it. But reading about the intricacies was really interesting, like the buy backs and having to make exclusives for retailers. SMH.

j023

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enough of the business talk. Bottom line, are we gonna get some heat or what!? If the product is right we should have no problem paying for it. If it’s cropped to our damn nipples, we should be irate. Plain and simple.

marcus-chi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think it was a NYT article you’re talking about, it was really good. I’ll have to find it. But reading about the intricacies was really interesting, like the buy backs and having to make exclusives for retailers. SMH.

Yep! I think that was it. I loved reading about that. And yea, those big retailers really push brands to the brink sometimes and when you're small you feel like lucky they're even paying you any attention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads