• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
i just received 2 BDs a few days ago. my collar points were slightly shorter than i would have preferred (to be corrected on my next order). the buttons were very thick and surprisingly easy to navigate, BD collar holes are quite large and accomodating.

Ditto. You can just tug at the collar and it pops off the button. I'm not entirely satisfied with the fabric (it doesn't feel or act like 100% cotton....) but I love the unlined BD collar with 3.5" points. The collar is definently the look I was going for.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a very wearable test shirt. Shoulders can use .75 inch shorter on each side or 1.5 inches across. The chest can use 1 inch smaller so too is the waist. I'm not sure about their different "form" fits (tight, medium, loose, etc.) but it seems that the best way to get what you want is to give them finished sizes, which you can take off of a well-fitted shirt. I'm going to go this path with them so hopefully my shirts fit as expected when they arrive. thanks for taking so many pics, I've enjoyed going over each one.

Originally Posted by mullivan
After lurking for a while I finally ordered my first Janzten a few weeks back. I received my order a couple of days ago, laundered and pressed the shirt. Attached below are my order specs and several pics. I've tried to show some of the details people are interested in such as the packaging, buttons and pattern matching. I'd be happy to post pictures of other specific parts of the shirt - just let me know what you'd like to see.

As this is the first of what I'm hoping will be many orders I viewed this as a "test shirt" so went with the default selections in many cases. The one exception to this is that I specifically asked for the black Jantzen Tailor tag not to be affixed to the inside of the collar as I've seen a few pictures on the forum with that and it looked annoying.

As you can see from the pics of me wearing the shirt below there are many changes I'd like to make to the next order. (Perhaps just selecting the form fit instead of medium would solve many of these issues?):
1) bring in the shoulders by at least an inch or two
2) bring in the waste a few inches
3) lengthen the sleeves by about an inch
4) shorten the length of the shirt by several inches

I'd appreciate any feedback you have on the fit as well!

I'm not particularly pleased with the fit of the shirt, but overall am happy with the purchase and it will lead to at least one more with revised measurements. That said there are a few items apart from the fit that bug me. I've tried to show each of these in the pics below.
1) the left shoulder is about .5 - 1 centimeter longer than the right. I have no idea why this is as I certainly didn't ask for this.
2) the split yoke is ever so slightly off at the base.
3) the patten matching on the left cuff inlet (above the smaller button) is crooked.
4) the monogram looks poorly sewn with some crooked lettering

I would really appreciate any feedback you have!

Order history (never received an order confirm email):
placed order 4/27
called 4/30 as no confirm received
asked to provide new material 4/30 (my fault as my original selection was on page 3)
revised material sent 5/1
called 5/7
called, 5/13
entire order resent 5/13
called 5/20
called 5/27
received 5/28

Specs (all in centimeters)
Shirt Length: 80
Chest: 96
Waist: 86
Hip: 90
Shoulder: 51
Sleeve Length: 83
Neck: 39
Height: 175
Weight: 75
Wrist Size ( No Allowance): 17.5
Special for Thicker Watch: Left Hand 1/4" Bigger
Shirt Fitting: Medium (6"-8" Allowance)
Share of Shoulder: Regular Shoulder
Shade of Body: Normal Shade
Collar Style: Collar Style # 1, (Regular Pointed)
Interlining: Regular
Tie space: 1/4"(Standard)
Back Height: 1 1/2" (Standard)
Stitching for Collar & Cuff: 1/4" (Our Standard)
Collar Point: 2 5/8" (Standard)
Color of Button Hole and Button Thread: Self Colour
Cuff Style: Single Cuff Sylte #10S (Round with Extra Side Button)
Cuff Height: 2 3/4" (Standard)
Pocket Style : Pocket Style No. 4 no flap (Round)
Front Placket: French Front with Stitching
Width of Placket: 1 3/8 (Our Standard)
Sleeves **** Extra Button: With Sleeves Extra Button
Shirt Tail: Regular Tail
Shoulder Pleat: No Pleat
Select one: With Split Yoke
Gusset Triangle Color: Jantzen *J* initial white triangular piece.
Button Seclections:: Thick Nature Mother of Pearl Button (3.00 mm) Thickness
Monogram Style: Monogram Style #24

Again, as you can see from the pics there are many changes I'd like to make to the next order. (Perhaps just selecting the form fit instead of medium would solve many of these issues?):
1) bring in the shoulders by at least an inch or two
2) bring in the waste a few inches
3) lengthen the sleeves by about an inch
4) shorten the length of the shirt by several inches

I would really appreciate any feedback you have!

Edit: I've also posted this as it's own thread if you'd rather comment on the fit there to keep this thread of a more general nature. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...08#post1094708

mullivan

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments Coho. "A very wearable test shirt" is exactly how I view it as well. I've just placed my second order taking in the shoulders, chest and waist by few centimeters each. I also requested a bit more room in the forearm as I was having some wrinkling issues there - based on other posts I've seen that should resolve the problem.

And I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed the pictures! I really liked seeing others peoples' pics so thought it was only fair I provided the same. I'll post pics of my second order when it arrives in a month or so.

Anders

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations on a good solid light blue fabric? I'm going to order my 2nd shirt with adjustments and am looking for another plain/generic shirt since I'll probably need one more adjustment.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anders
Does anyone have any recommendations on a good solid light blue fabric? I'm going to order my 2nd shirt with adjustments and am looking for another plain/generic shirt since I'll probably need one more adjustment.

With my latest order, I added a note asking for Ricky's "nicest cloth in a solid light blue." I was pretty pleased with what I got. Not spectacular, but nice -- not too heavy, not too sheer. Unfortunately, Ricky didn't tell me the cloth number, so I can't pass it along.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doc. Does he do this for small order only? That'll be nice if he can do the same for me for 12 shirts. Thanks.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
With my latest order, I added a note asking for Ricky's "nicest cloth in a solid light blue." I was pretty pleased with what I got. Not spectacular, but nice -- not too heavy, not too sheer. Unfortunately, Ricky didn't tell me the cloth number, so I can't pass it along.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Doc. Does he do this for small order only? That'll be nice if he can do the same for me for 12 shirts. Thanks.

I can't say, as I've only done small orders out of fear something might be off. Maybe you could have him do one, see if you like it, then order a large batch?

Otter91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Otter91
Ordered Saturday night (5/10) still no reply. Anyone know if production was interrupted by the earthquake?

Shirt Received 6/12

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...95#post1115295

I'm really happy how it came out. I think that it fits better than the pictures show, especially the pictures with it tucked in to pants

thanks for all the help!

Should I email Ricky with my next order, or is there somewhere that I can make adjustments in my last order measurements, or do I need to start a new measurement template with them?

thanks again

amemovox

Reaction score
Not intended as shameless promotion but my second order from Jantzen arrived today. My CC was charged back in April and I was beginning to wonder....

I did not choose fabric. Just told Ricky to choose (now thats faith) within the budget amount. This order surpassed my "test shirt" in terms of fit and fabric quality.

The shirts are not perfect however serviceable. Much better than any OTR shirt.
Two shirts for under $100 shipped represents true value to the customer.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it common for Jantzen associate to ask you to hold (on phone) and never come back? I've had such an encounter today. I've also overestimated their English ability.
frown.gif

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Is it common for Jantzen associate to ask you to hold (on phone) and never come back? I've had such an encounter today. I've also overestimated their English ability.
frown.gif

LOL.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not funny when I'm calling from America and get charged accordingly. The person's first sentence was something like " chinese mumbles....internet?" I'm fucked as soon as I replied, albeit reluctantly, "uh..Yes" and she disappeared in the sonic ether.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
When you call Jantzen, just ask for Ricky. On my first and second orders, I got to one of his workers that just tells you bull stories. Once I got to Ricky, I got the shirts a week later.

Anders

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

Thanks Doc. I was thinking about doing something similar. I did however find this old thread from AAAC, mentioning that the #21, Super Fine Light Blue Plain Cotton,
140's, Sea Island Cotton was good. Although I'm sure he's using different fabric three years later. Maybe I'll ask for the best light blue fabric, referencing something similar to #21.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads