• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

doofalb

Reaction score
Interested to hear thoughts about this as well. I wear progressive lenses. My prescription is mild to moderate.

I’ve tried Zoomer a few times, but they recently switched lenses to their in house brand which doesn’t seem as nice as the Shamir Autograph lenses they used previously. Cost around $350-400 for their highest quality clear lenses depending on sales.

I’ve tried Replacement Lens Express, but just for transition-type lenses. Seemed okay, but I ended up not wearing them much. Cheaper than Zoomer, probably around $250. Quality seemed good. Again, I didn’t wear them much.

I’ve also tried my local Costco. The lenses are polarized sunglasses in a Moscot frame. Seems okay but I mostly use them for outdoor activities. A little cheaper than RLE.

I don’t buy many frames, and when I do I try to use my insurance for the lenses. But, like many, that’s only available once a year.

I struggle with buying frames that cost close to $1,000 then worry about putting in crappy lenses. My local shop still provides the best lenses, at the highest cost, although maybe it’s all in my head. I’m sure fitting and measurements play into it as well.
Thanks!

I often used Costco in my pre-JMM (Jacques Marie Mage) days, but that's not even an option anymore: they grudgingly accepted my Yves' but simply refused to work on the Enzo's because the frame was too massive for their liking. Plus they never returned the original lenses. I stopped trying work with them ever since

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should’ve looked into JMM a bit more before asking where they were located… they’re really expensive! I assume a portion of the price is craftsmanship/quality, but most of it has to be design right?

Any other brands that are similar for lower price points? Just trying to explore options and not shelling out 800+

Of course only you can decide whether it's worth or not to spend $$$ on a pair of glasses, it's a question pretty much debated in this thread. If you are here, it's probably because you like the brand or some models.

As you say, besides any consideration about quality and intrinsic value a major part of the price is attributable to the design, the marketing and the prestige which the brand has aquired by now (few years ago the prices were noticeably lower).

I can only say that once you have a piece in your hand, you certainly feel that the massive acetate is something special that exudes quality of material and construction. In few years I've built a pretty large collection and don't regret it.

Last edited:

obecity

Reaction score
Another rumor, given the interest I've seen on this board, is that the Earl in two colors (gold and silver) arrive at galleries this week for those who pre-ordered. The Earl in Empire isn't anticipated until sometime late next month or maybe even May

The Earl was described to me as having intricate, minute details and design features similar to the Pasolini. Can't wait to see!
If this turns out to be true, I need someone with a big face to post a pic to demonstrate size appropriateness for the larger-faced among us.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this turns out to be true, I need someone with a big face to post a pic to demonstrate size appropriateness for the larger-faced among us.

From the online pictures and the measurements (57mm lens width) it seems to be a pretty large frame, even though the fit is given as medium.

Screenshot (1440).png
Screenshot (1441).png

Hannibal4242

Reaction score
Should’ve looked into JMM a bit more before asking where they were located… they’re really expensive! I assume a portion of the price is craftsmanship/quality, but most of it has to be design right?

Any other brands that are similar for lower price points? Just trying to explore options and not shelling out 800+
I'm a fan of cutler and gross but prices are not that far off from JMM ...

Last edited:

joseph240

Reaction score
Thanks!

I often used Costco in my pre-JMM (Jacques Marie Mage) days, but that's not even an option anymore: they grudgingly accepted my Yves' but simply refused to work on the Enzo's because the frame was too massive for their liking. Plus they never returned the original lenses. I stopped trying work with them ever since
Better progressive lenses e.g. zeiss smartlife 3 require five precise measurements to assure the right fit. Costco doesn't offer such service and further doesn't have access to the high end lenses. For best results, you will need to locate a smaller independent optician who is capable and willing to offer high quality service. There are very very few such opticians and most likely they don’t take insurance.

obecity

Reaction score
Thanks!

When did you have Costco do your lenses? I asked my local Costco if they could do my JMM (Jaques Marie Mage) frames oh about three ago, and it was an immediate hard no.

obecity

Reaction score
From the online pictures and the measurements (57mm lens width) it seems to be a pretty large frame, even though the fit is given as medium.

View attachment 2155399 View attachment 2155401
This feller is pretty slight of frame and face. I have a big ole fat face. I have a pair of Jaggers that I convinced myself were juuuuust wide enough. The more I look at myself in the mirror, and the more pictures I take of myself at distance, the more I realize that they’re just too darn small. I’m probably the only feller who has a face that’s too big for JMM (Jacques Marie Mage).

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This feller is pretty slight of frame and face. I have a big ole fat face. I have a pair of Jaggers that I convinced myself were juuuuust wide enough. The more I look at myself in the mirror, and the more pictures I take of myself at distance, the more I realize that they’re just too darn small. I’m probably the only feller who has a face that’s too big for JMM (Jacques Marie Mage).
Are you Jason Miller? (Look him up!)
Thanks for spelling out what JMM stands for, ever since my debut on page 17 I’ve been wondering what this thread was all about.
Weren’t you going to boycott this brand anyway?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

obecity

Reaction score
Are you Jason Miller? (Look him up!)
Thanks for spelling out what JMM stands for, ever since my debut on page 17 I’ve been wondering what this thread was all about.
Weren’t you going to boycott this brand anyway?
There are so many Jason Millers…tough to know which one you refer too. Is this feller known for wearing JMM (Jacques Marie Mage)?

As far as my boycott goes, I haven’t made a purchase from JJ (Jack the Jerk) since oh about February 2023. The boycott is still in force. Nevertheless, I would never boycott all my friends on this here electronic bulletin board. Nobody here did me wrong, so nobody here needs to be punished by my absence.

PS- I didn’t know you were a page 17 feller. That’s pretty strong. Not troika or regisdb9 strong, but still pretty darn respectable. One point of clarification: Even though I’ve been around since oh about page 400, I have been into the brand since June 2020. Had I known about this bulletin board then, I could’ve been a page 1 feller. Oh well. Such is life. I’m still happy with oh about 400!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ziopioyer