• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jacket for navy pants

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorially senseless
but, an example of a grey jacket and navy pants that could work for the right person?
i agree, dewey, thoughtful post, thx again

Well, I don't think that look works on him... or anyone else. It's just a GQ image. Not everything printed in a magazine equals a good look in real life.

bhall41

Reaction score
I think the look can work and does in the pic in the OP. Don't know what the fuss is about TBH.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pose is absurd here but I think the combination works very well. Really loving the grey SC with the navy (slightly casual) pants.
2711DosanPark24K5U5565Web.jpg

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace
The pose is absurd here but I think the combination works very well. Really loving the grey SC with the navy (slightly casual) pants.

Maybe it works because that the navy pants are pretty much sitting in the 'background' with the patterned tie and SC drawing the attention?

When I see that picture, while pretending to ignore the pose I can barely take much notice of the pants.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear the jacket shown below with navy pants and brown shoes all the time (I'm wearing jeans in the picture, though):
11-19-2.png

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
There is a consensus, or was a consensus, that jackets should be darker than the trousers.

Also that shoes should be darker than trousers.

Very dark casual pants (navy, black) don't work in a wardrobe built around those principles.

But then what about charcoal pants? Those are very dark and charcoal pants with a navy blazer is often cited around here as a classic look.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
light blue, beige, brown (probably best choice), or greys (second choice)... Ignore the ties but pay attention to the colors, replace with a PS, cardigan, etc. Some examples, and I'm not saying these are all good/perfect, just some ideas for colors: (as you can see I tend to generally like Spoo, NYRanger, and Gregaz's style so there's some bias there)
53534143.jpg
16895685.jpg
99312599.jpg
80523931.jpg
94742760.jpg
56807748.jpg

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
80523931.jpg

This looks a lot like one of my go-to sports coats, and I wear it with navy pants all the time.

I agree, I feel like there should be contrast between the different layers of an outfit. Usually it's dark jacket, light pants, dark shoes. So with navy pants I just reverse it: light jacket, dark pants... well, the shoes stay dark (brown) but the brown contrasts with the blue of the pants! Then just consider the common sports coat colors - blues, grays, browns, and olives - and lighten them. I don't go lighter than middle of the road, i.e. no sky blue, but that's personal preference. I'm kind of on the lookout for a khaki colored sports coat.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorially senseless
these look like navy pants ... with a grey jacket - does it work?
cant tell if they are jeans though.

I don't know . But that is my daily look with tie.

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
many thanks for the pics guys, gives me some ideas ... def. easier to match a fall/winter fabrics with the navy pants.

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
Master-Classter;4111428 said:
light blue, beige, brown (probably best choice), or greys (second choice)... Ignore the ties but pay attention to the colors, replace with a PS, cardigan, etc. Some examples, and I'm not saying these are all good/perfect, just some ideas for colors:
(as you can see I tend to generally like Spoo, NYRanger, and Gregaz's style so there's some bias there)
QUOTE]

I have to say, those are the guys i tend to gravitate to stylewise on this forum too.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why it is ok to pretty much wear any jacket with jeans but the minute you switch to Navy pants this is a big no no? A lot of those looks above, I like grey or brown with navy.

phailing101

Reaction score
I have a couple brown wool jackets that have some blue/navy in them that really work well with Navy pants.

I agree with the poster who said to reverse the traditional colour combination and do medium/dark brown shoes, dark navy pants and lighter colour jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads