jacket for navy pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sartorially senseless, Feb 9, 2011.

1. sartorially senseless

sartorially senseless Senior member

anyone have pictures of youthful looks sport coat and navy dress pants. (sans tie ideally)
    i am trying to figure out 1 or 2 jackets that i can buy that will work with the navy pants
    so far this is the best i could find, but it might not be youthful ... anyone know what i am trying to say?
    [​IMG]

2. acecow

acecow Senior member

I dislike the look of a sport coat with navy dress pants. Seems unnatural to me.

3. sartorially senseless

I dislike the look of a sport coat with navy dress pants. Seems unnatural to me.

so navy pants are going to be worn only with a shirt?

4. acecow

acecow Senior member

so navy pants are going to be worn only with a shirt?
    I only do it like that, or with a sweater. Every time I tried pairing navy wool pants with a sport coat or blazer it just looked wrong. But this is only my personal experience and perception, I'm not speaking on behalf of SF and certainly not quoting any sartorial rules. YMMV.

5. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

I do most of the time.

Nice look

6. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

From my wardrobe -

Tan shepherd's check
    Tan check w/ blue overcheck
    Hunter green w/blue overcheck
    Light grey Russian twill
    Tan cotton or linen

7. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

There is a consensus, or was a consensus, that jackets should be darker than the trousers.

Also that shoes should be darker than trousers.

Very dark casual pants (navy, black) don't work in a wardrobe built around those principles.

A lot of standard jackets (gray herringbone, navy blazer) and standard shoes (dark brown) don't work with those principles and navy trousers. Pretty much the *only* trousers that do not work with the navy blazer, which has long been the definition of the versatile jacket, are navy and black.

So you have to reinvent all the older ideas, go against the grain, etc., to make navy trousers work since most age-old staples of menswear are not going to work easily with navy trousers.

Also navy pants are for gas station attendants. Just kidding. Thought I'd slip that in to see if you are paying attention.

These days navy and pants are very common, not so much with jacket and tie but with polos and button-down shirts and sweaters. But, I know a number of men who wear no tie and a gray jacket with navy chinos or navy wool pants (that are probably half of a suit). This looks pretty 50ish & 60ish to me, as I only see older men "rocking" this look.

What shoes are you going to wear with navy trousers? Maybe the right brown. Black?

I like the darkest thing on me to be my tie or my jacket or my glasses -- something that anchors the eye near my face.

Dark denim is navy, but this has such as characteristic texture, it works in ways that navy chinos or navy wool pants won't. And it almost always looks better without some kind of sports coat.

If I was stuck with only navy pants I would probably start looking at outfits that work with dark jeans and try to get that to work. Maybe a dark charcoal plaid jacket, or a dark brown corduroy.

8. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

[​IMG]

9. sartorially senseless

There is a consensus, or was a consensus, that jackets should be darker than the trousers.

Also that shoes should be darker than trousers.

Very dark casual pants (navy, black) don't work in a wardrobe built around those principles.

A lot of standard jackets (gray herringbone, navy blazer) and standard shoes (dark brown) don't work with those principles and navy trousers. Pretty much the *only* trousers that do not work with the navy blazer, which has long been the definition of the versatile jacket, are navy and black.

So you have to reinvent all the older ideas, go against the grain, etc., to make navy trousers work since most age-old staples of menswear are not going to work easily with navy trousers.

Also navy pants are for gas station attendants. Just kidding. Thought I'd slip that in to see if you are paying attention.

These days navy and pants are very common, not so much with jacket and tie but with polos and button-down shirts and sweaters. But, I know a number of men who wear no tie and a gray jacket with navy chinos or navy wool pants (that are probably half of a suit). This looks pretty 50ish & 60ish to me, as I only see older men "rocking" this look.

What shoes are you going to wear with navy trousers? Maybe the right brown. Black?

I like the darkest thing on me to be my tie or my jacket or my glasses -- something that anchors the eye near my face.

Dark denim is navy, but this has such as characteristic texture, it works in ways that navy chinos or navy wool pants won't. And it almost always looks better without some kind of sports coat.

If I was stuck with only navy pants I would probably start looking at outfits that work with dark jeans and try to get that to work. Maybe a dark charcoal plaid jacket, or a dark brown corduroy.

thanks for the thoughtful reply. shoes could be black or brown, undecided.

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

Dewey is that Darker shoes, lighter pants and darker sports coat for the purpose of alternating contrast when wearing those 3 items?

11. sartorially senseless

these look like navy pants ... with a grey jacket - does it work?
    cant tell if they are jeans though.
    [​IMG]

12. acecow

acecow Senior member

these look like navy pants ... with a grey jacket - does it work?
    cant tell if they are jeans though.

I don't like this look.

Dewey, great post!

13. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Dewey is that Darker shoes, lighter pants and darker sports coat for the purpose of alternating contrast when wearing those 3 items?
    I am not exactly sure why. Probably lots of reasons and some habit. What you just said is probably a good reason. Lighter colors tend to make parts look bigger. Light jackets and dark trousers will make a pot-bellied guy look extra pot-bellied. Dark navy jacket and light gray trousers will even him out some. That could be another reason. Manton often repeated both ideas, and after reading it from him so often I realized he was right, the history of menswear in the C20 was much more about darker shoes than trousers, and darker jackets than trousers. Navy and black are huge sellers as trouser colors these days. There must some good use for them. But I am not surprised they are tough to use in the context of a traditional man wardrobe.

14. sartorially senseless

I don't like this look.
    Dewey, great post!

but, an example of a grey jacket and navy pants that could work for the right person?
    i agree, dewey, thoughtful post, thx again

15. sartorially senseless

From my wardrobe -

Tan shepherd's check
    Tan check w/ blue overcheck
    Hunter green w/blue overcheck
    Light grey Russian twill
    Tan cotton or linen

I do most of the time.

Nice look

any pics guys?