• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew's tailored fit -- How slim?

Brigden

Reaction score
I used to buy J.Crew, but found their shirts too boxy. They've since introduced a "tailored fit" to their casual shirts. My question: How "tailored?" Still boxy? Compare to other major American brands, if you can.

Cheers.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brigden
I used to buy J.Crew, but found their shirts too boxy. They've since introduced a "tailored fit" to their casual shirts. My question: How "tailored?" Still boxy? Compare to other major American brands, if you can.

Cheers.

Fairly slim, but still a bit big in the waist and a bit small in the chest for me.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
not slim at all

a size S measures 20" across the stomach which I swim in. By comparison a Band of Outsiders size M measures 18" across at the same point=perfect fit

bsyde82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
not slim at all

a size S measures 20" across the stomach which I swim in. By comparison a Band of Outsiders size M measures 18" across at the same point=perfect fit

I think they're pretty slim...i guess it depends on what your body is like...

im fairly skinny but not like dior homme model skinny...i'd say 5'8, 150...30-31 waist...and i think they fit pretty good...and i usually tailor my button ups so im particular about the slimness

speaking of tailoring? if and when you guys get ur shirts taken in, do they take it in from the side seams, so that no work is noticeable? or do they just take it in from the back where ppl can see the work that has been done?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim, but not too slim. Not tapered. I really like the cut, it's much better than their standard.

As for comparisons to other brands, they are slimmer than RL custom fit oxfords by a couple of inches in the chest.

cmrocks

Reaction score
How is JCrew's quality compared to stores like Banana Republic? I was looking over their website and they have some nice basics that I wouldn't mind picking up. The prices are pretty reasonable which makes me question the quality.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
How is JCrew's quality compared to stores like Banana Republic? I was looking over their website and they have some nice basics that I wouldn't mind picking up. The prices are pretty reasonable which makes me question the quality.
It depends on what you're looking at for basics. In my experience, jcrew's sweaters and shirts are far better then BR's with better construction, buttons, and fabric. Everything else is about the same though.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I was just thinking about picking up a few sweaters and some shirts they have in Irish linen.

riotshield

Reaction score
IMO, J.Crew generally has better fabrics/construction than BR across the board. My only beef with them in the past was the bagginess of most of their cuts, but I might give their jersey polo a shot since it's tailored fit.

amlai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsyde82
speaking of tailoring? if and when you guys get ur shirts taken in, do they take it in from the side seams, so that no work is noticeable? or do they just take it in from the back where ppl can see the work that has been done?

I've done both. I usually prefer my shirts taken in from the side seams. However, I've also seen a few off the rack shirt manufactuers that have darts taken out of the back. In those cases, I have them take out bigger darts.

phooi

Reaction score
I find the JCrew tailored fit shirts to be looser than the RL Custom Fit shirts and the sleeves to be longer.

As for quality, JCrew is better than BR.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
If you're looking for basic dress shirts, Lands' End carries a tailored fit shirt... and a lot cheaper too.

arenaissanceman

Reaction score
I went in and tried on the long sleeve shirts in both Vintage and non-Vintage, Vintage being a heavier material with similar cut. Both styles are nowhere near slim but are far better than anything from BR, Express, and the rest of the yuppie outlets. At $60, probably not. Half that and it might be worth a drop in the bucket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads