• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson
The peacoat fits pretty well. It's not really slim.

+1. It is not slim, but it is wearable.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had been waiting for a really good deal on this shirt, and almost pulled the trigger with the 30% off. Then I noticed that it has a button-down collar, which is just not my style; l'm lucky I read the text description really carefully, because I had never noticed that from the pictures. Someone tell me if it's obvious to them from looking at the pictures whether this is a button-down collar. And if not, then why do they photograph it this way? If they think it looks better without buttons, then why design the shirt with buttons? For the record, I own two of these Thomas Mason dress shirts (non button-down collar) - the ones that come in true neck and sleeve sizes, not SML. They are really great. http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...3169/93169.jsp

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe someone here can answer. Anyone know how the X-Small Broken in Crewneck compares to the Small Broken in Slim Crewneck? I usually do the slim cut because it has higher arm holes but the regular cut has so many more colors, so I'm thinking of going with an X-Small and hoping the chest to chest won't be so small.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandaface
Anyone have the fatigue jacket? I'm thinking about getting one in olive drab but wanted your opinions first. I usually get a large in everything should I get a large here or size down? Anyone have the authentic peacoat? Most pea coats I've tried on before were either really big or very boxy does this one fit well? Is it worth the 255 or should I wait till next fall to get one?

Not slim, but not terribly boxy either.

pc18811043.jpg

Definitely worth full price to me, and I actually consider full price to be a bargain.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hell, I'd call that slim. My God, what is slim to you guys? So tight that the buttons pop off?!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Hell, I'd call that slim. My God, what is slim to you guys? So tight that the buttons pop off?!

To me, this is a slim peacoat, but then again, I live over in MC, so some of you guys are probably chuckling right now, thinking "he thinks that's slim..."
laugh.gif

46895869.jpg

16901980.jpg

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I definitely call that slim. It looks good. And I sure wouldn't want it any slimmer.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I call that slim too. That looks great btw.
I am a very small Medium Tall and the coat did not fit me. That is likely because of my lanky body.

Elvis177

Reaction score
i just bought the blue chambray utility shirt in a small...damn j.crew shirts fit big anyone wants to trade my s for an xs wore mine once.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was really surprised to see Levis 501s in the store today. They're $98, and they're prewashed, pre-distressed. Denim weight looks good, but how wrong is this?! Almost 100 bucks for washed, predistressed 501s? I happened to be wearing my Sears-bought STFs and when I was at the cash register I was asked if I'd tried on the new Levis, then got "Oh, I see you're wearing 501s already," and I laughed and said, "Yeah, the real thing--STFs. Sears, for $30 bucks."

They probably didn't appreciate that.

Guus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
I had been waiting for a really good deal on this shirt, and almost pulled the trigger with the 30% off. Then I noticed that it has a button-down collar, which is just not my style; l'm lucky I read the text description really carefully, because I had never noticed that from the pictures.

Someone tell me if it's obvious to them from looking at the pictures whether this is a button-down collar. And if not, then why do they photograph it this way? If they think it looks better without buttons, then why design the shirt with buttons?

For the record, I own two of these Thomas Mason dress shirts (non button-down collar) - the ones that come in true neck and sleeve sizes, not SML. They are really great.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...3169/93169.jsp

It is, you can see the notch where it buttons on the right hand side.

YoPete525

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guus

Well, I agree with you that it's visible -- it takes pretty careful inspection to see them, though.

That being said, I'd never buy anything online without carefully reading the description, as well as looking at the pictures closely. At least, simpson, you saw that before making the purchase, rather than having to go through the trouble to return it.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guus

Originally Posted by YoPete525
Well, I agree with you that it's visible -- it takes pretty careful inspection to see them, though.

That being said, I'd never buy anything online without carefully reading the description, as well as looking at the pictures closely. At least, simpson, you saw that before making the purchase, rather than having to go through the trouble to return it.

So what's the point of making a significant feature of a shirt so difficult to see?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
To me, this is a slim peacoat, but then again, I live over in MC, so some of you guys are probably chuckling right now, thinking "he thinks that's slim..."
laugh.gif
46895869.jpg
16901980.jpg

We're chuckling because you sized down so the shoulders obviously don't fit. Good job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads