• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've just had my head shaved for charity...

chad miller

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum.

I'm 6'1, good looking and have always had good hair. I had my preppy/surfer locks shaved off - I have had a number "1", but I swear it's even shorter!

I realise that part of the sacrifice is having to go about my daily routine with barely any hair on my head. This is the shortest I have EVER had my hair. I am 21 and am a student at university in the UK but currently at home for a month - in 4 weeks it should be a reasonable length for me not to worry about it.

Has anyone got any advice on how I could disguise my baldness (in certain situations), or to take the attention away from the baldness?! I have been told my friends this really short hair suits me but I think I look a bit too much like a convict! I need some ideas on how to play it down. I'm thinking beanie hats, caps, sunglasses even to take the focus away from my very short hair. Caps do not suit me at all and make my face look fat. Any good beanie hats out there? I'm not too keen on the modern day 'slouchy' beanie. It's warming up so a thick chunky knit beanie is not ideal.

Just as a quick note a typical day to day outfit:

-shirt with a sweater, jeans & casual shoes
-rugby shirt, hoody, jeans & casual shoes
-hoody, shorts and flip flops.

advice on any accessories or links to stylish beanie hats I can wear on a consistent basis through this period, given my preferences, would be much appreciated.

Chad

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try a newsboy or a ivy cap (flat cap). Should be able to find those in the UK easily enough.

Beanie hats and stylish are jsut two words that don't go together.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused, if you had your head shaved for charity, then isn't the point that your baldness will be apparent to anyone who sees you? Has the cause ended?

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Speaking as a man who's been completely bald (medical condition, not by choice) since my mid twenties I can tell you this - get out and do your thing and don't act self conciously about your temporary lack of hair. If you're not normally a hat guy, don't wear hats to cover your bald head. Believe me, you're not hiding anything or fooling anybody so why bother?

It takes some nerve at first, but just get out there and rock the look. You may be surprised at how well you can pull it off and even if you can't, it'll only be a couple months before you're looking like your old, boring self again.

dv_indian

Reaction score
In a week the hair will grow to a stubble and your baldness won't be so apparent. Just give it some time and don't be conscious about it. I had my head shaved once and I am speaking from experience.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chad miller
I have been told my friends this really short hair suits me but I think I look a bit too much like a convict!

Some girls like the "convict" look. So keep an open mind.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank God you're good looking, and that you know it, and that you're not afraid to tell complete strangers how good looking you are.

Pics or it isn't true.

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
john-galliano-fallwinter-2008-09-11907-13.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sport a barcode and offer your head for scanning at supermarkets & clothing stores Store clerks will love seeing your command module ringing up as 'Coconut $1.99'
barcode-guy7263581xsmall.jpg
Or better yet, try to find a code that will give you your purchases for free!

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will grow out. You need to be less self conscious, maybe the new look would make a good conversation starter, especially since it was done for such a meaningful cause.

Stax

Reaction score
You seem to be partial to the hoody, so what's the problem?

PaulSLH

Reaction score
Glasses work really well, especially something a bit heavy framed or tortoiseshell, something traditionally seen as a bit 'geeky' to pull you back from the convict look into a middle ground. There's an Australian actor whose name I can't remember that does it pretty well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads