• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian vs British vs American cut

godson

Reaction score
Can someone kindly explain in detail what the difference are between those three cuts.

All help are appreciated

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the RTW world, this varies by manufacturer. Some Italian cuts are cut differently than others. Same goes for Brit and American.

i killed judas.

Reaction score
Are we talking suits?

If so, then there are people who know much more than me here, albeit I am only 22 years old.

But, briefly:

Italian: very slim, very trendy, double vented, narrow lapels, low button stance (see RLBL); this is what you wear when you go out to a classy place and want to get laid
American: terrible is the only thing that comes to mind. Unvented, baggy, etc etc
English: Fits very well, fairly conservative, great for the CEO's (see RLPL)

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by i killed judas.
Are we talking suits?

If so, then there are people who know much more than me here, albeit I am only 22 years old.

But, briefly:

Italian: very slim, very trendy, double vented, narrow lapels, low button stance (see RLBL); this is what you wear when you go out to a classy place and want to get laid
American: terrible is the only thing that comes to mind. Unvented, baggy, etc etc

/thread

Sir James

Reaction score
Italian - are generally cut a slimmer mor close to the body. The suits are usually lighter wieght matching the climate conditions. The jackets tend to be side vented with stuctured shoulders, some such as Corneliani has veavily padded shoulders. the pants are cut slim but are not sevearly tappered.

British - Most have padded shoulders with slight waist supression, not as much as the Italian suits. The cut is sume what fuller but not as much as the Continental. the pants are usually very tapered at the botom.

American - Fuller cut suit with more drape. The shoulders are usually natural with minium padding. The jackets are tend to be single vented with a more boxy overall shape. The pants are also more fuller cut throught.

The american sack suit, popularized by BB is a full cut suits with no darts, single vented with natural shoulders.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Sir James
Italian - are generally cut a slimmer mor close to the body. The suits are usually lighter wieght matching the climate conditions. The jackets tend to be side vented with stuctured shoulders, some such as Corneliani has veavily padded shoulders. the pants are cut slim but are not sevearly tappered.

British - Most have padded shoulders with slight waist supression, not as much as the Italian suits. The cut is sume what fuller but not as much as the Continental. the pants are usually very tapered at the botom.

American - Fuller cut suit with more drape. The shoulders are usually natural with minium padding. The jackets are tend to be single vented with a more boxy overall shape. The pants are also more fuller cut throught.

The american sack suit, popularized by BB is a full cut suits with no darts, single vented with natural shoulders.

Holy leaping generalizations, Batman!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought classic Italian was no vents and English was single vent (ala riding clothes)?
confused.gif

Bellum

Reaction score
Are we talking suits?

You should've just stopped right there.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
lurker[1].gif
It's going to be a long day!

Oh come on, Despos! Don't just sit there on the couch watching. Throw a little of your wisdom our way.
nod[1].gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Holy leaping generalizations, Batman!
+1 The reality of it is, there is no 'three cuts' for american, english or Italian, that are so stark in their differences that you could classify them so simply. There are aspects of each that could lead you in a direction, but what has been said above isnt exactly representative of those styles. 'padded shoulders', i tried on an Armani Jacket the other day, and i have two Canali's and a Zegna, they all have padded shoulders, for a strong shoulder line, and they're all Italian.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to mess with things then, cause if I could have a bespoke suit made, I'd go for high armholes, more fitted, peak lapels, and a soft natural shoulder along with good waist suppression. So not sure if this would fit into any particular camp.

I believe I've seen a few nice examples of a grey herringbone Cornelliani suit that exemplified this, although the shoulders appeared more padded than I'd probably like.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
+1

The reality of it is, there is no 'three cuts' for american, english or Italian, that are so stark in their differences that you could classify them so simply. There are aspects of each that could lead you in a direction, but what has been said above isnt exactly representative of those styles.

'padded shoulders', i tried on an Armani Jacket the other day, and i have two Canali's and a Zegna, they all have padded shoulders, for a strong shoulder line, and they're all Italian.

It's worse then that isn't it? Zegna has three different cuts . Roma,Milano and the Traveller cut of odd jackets. Which would be the more Italian?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads