• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian suits vs CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

senzaglutine

Reaction score
I'm currently in Rome on holiday and have started looking at suits. wishing I had researched this earlier!

I'd appreciate your advice on the four brands below. Most rated as 'satisfactory' on a suit hierarchy I saw posted somewhere. satisfactory is certainly ok with me.

I've had Tyrwhitt suits before (order online). They are a cheap option and have the advantage that it's easiest to buy extra pants (useful for beater suits). I fit a slim 38R well. However, quality seems hit and miss when you order online (I have had sleeves that seem to have been stitched on by blind people). Also, I found CT's customer service to be hopeless. Looking at the website they don't even try and make the suits look good. But they are cheap...

I went to Boggi today to look at their entry-level suits (around 500-600 euro). Fabric seems a step up from CT. Fit isn't as good for me (little too much sag in the middle with the button done up.) but as the shoulders are perfect I guess they could be adjusted. Researching now how to tell if they are fused or half-canvassed? These suits have the option for extra pants.

I then tried Corneliani. About 640 euro. Fit is really good for me. Fabric seems nice. Can't buy extra pants though. Half canvassed.

Walking around the Spanish Steps there are a ton of discount suit shops. Most seem to push Zegna. I popped into one and had a look at a nice Cerruti at around 600euro.

The salespeople were pushing another brand though called Enrico Coveri at 300 euro- supposedly half price . 100 percent wool. Italian made (again I'm not sure if fused or half canvassed I guess the former). These suits fitted really well, but I'm always suspicious when sales staff push me to buy cheaper product.

Based on your experience, which brand would you go for? I'm not confident the CT suits would last as well as the others.

Really regretting not writing down the fabrics (I could go back tomorrow).

Huge thanks for any input you can provide.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I then tried Corneliani. About 640 euro. Fit is really good for me. Fabric seems nice. Can't buy extra pants though. Half canvassed.
I think that this pretty much answers your question. If I were you, I would ge the Corneliani.

1) You got to try on the suit in person (very valuable), and in your own words, the fit is really good (so, minimal alterations costs) and you like the fabric. All these say "Buy The Suit" to me
2) Corneliani suits range from "good" to "very good" quality, depending on a the specifications of the make, but one way or the other, you are not going to be taken for a ride.
3) If you are American, with the dollar being as strong as it is, you are making out like a bandit. If you do the tax refund thing, you are getting a suit that would cost probably well in excess of $1200 (which is what I've seen entry Corneliani suits typically go for) for about $650 .

For me, the only drawback would be that you can't get extra pants. But unless you wear the suit nearly every day, or unless it's part of a standard, weekly rotation, it's unlikely that you will wear out the pants before the suit needs replacing anyhow.

senzaglutine

Reaction score

Here is the Corneliani (pardon the hideous shirt). Seems a good fit.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is the Corneliani (pardon the hideous shirt). Seems a good fit.

It seems slightly small around the torso, I can see some pulling at the lapels and navel, but that can be let out slightly in the back. The shoulders and neckline seem to fit reasonably.

Last edited:

senzaglutine

Reaction score
Thanks. I've put on about a bit of weight on this trip. I usually sit at a 32-33 waist but I'm at 34 at the moment. I'll trim down when I get out of holiday mode. Then will take for alteration

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I've put on about a bit of weight on this trip. I usually sit at a 32-33 waist but I'm at 34 at the moment. I'll trim down when I get out of holiday mode. Then will take for alteration

It's also a bit too smakk right around the chest, at least in this picture, but that also increases or decreases a bit with weight fluctuations.

senzaglutine

Reaction score
Really appreciate your advice. To me it seemed a pretty decent fit but I can see I have a lot to learn.

I may go and get a photo in the Enrico suit to see how it compares

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LA Guy is right, it's a bit small in the chest and midsection.

senzaglutine

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried the next size up but the seams seem to overhand my shoulders. The Italians suits seem to err to the slim slide. Perhaps unsurprisingly all the salesmen are tell me the fit is perfect.

I tried the Enrico suit ;pic attached). I suspect also too small.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I tried the next size up but the seams seem to overhand my shoulders. The Italians suits seem to err to the slim slide. Perhaps unsurprisingly all the salesmen are tell me the fit is perfect.

I tried the Enrico suit ;pic attached). I suspect also too small.

This fits considerably better, and will probably require fewer adjustments.

senzaglutine

Reaction score
Thanks again. It's apparently half canvassed and less than half the price of the Corneliani. Extra pants available too.

senzaglutine

Reaction score
Just as a conclusion to the thread. I picked up two Enrico Colvari suits in a mid-blue and light blue. They will be good additions to my wardrobe when I want a something a little different to my usual grays and navy blues.

Walking around Rome, Enrico Colvari seems to be a ubiquitous brand as I have seen quite a bit of product (including cheap sports shoes). Nonetheless I'm happy with the suits. The fabric certainly isn't the best but doesn't feel much different to my Tyrwhitt suits..

The suits only came with one pair of pants each but for the price (and considering the tax refund) I'm very happy. With the money I saved compared to what I expected, I'll treat myself to a new pair of Barkers from Pediwear.

I've worn suits for a long time but I am only just now starting to experiment with improving how I look in them. This is a great forum and special thanks to LA Guy.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as a conclusion to the thread. I picked up two Enrico Colvari suits in a mid-blue and light blue. They will be good additions to my wardrobe when I want a something a little different to my usual grays and navy blues.

Walking around Rome, Enrico Colvari seems to be a ubiquitous brand as I have seen quite a bit of product (including cheap sports shoes). Nonetheless I'm happy with the suits. The fabric certainly isn't the best but doesn't feel much different to my Tyrwhitt suits..

The suits only came with one pair of pants each but for the price (and considering the tax refund) I'm very happy. With the money I saved compared to what I expected, I'll treat myself to a new pair of Barkers from Pediwear.

I've worn suits for a long time but I am only just now starting to experiment with improving how I look in them. This is a great forum and special thanks to LA Guy.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads