• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IT Professional in Greensboro, NC

jkbucksot

Reaction score
No there are others who wear purple, pink etc. I do have some of these shirts but not a lot.

4 days out of the week its suits, Friday is "casual" suit pants no tie and jacket. Blazers and sport coats for Fridays are good.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jos. A. Bank, Nordstrom, and paulfredrick.com are other possibilities for dress shirts. Branching out to something with checks sounds worthwhile. By the way, re "Blue stripped shirts (one with white collar)," that's probably a French cuff/contrast collar shirt and too dressy for the office.

Also, undershirts shouldn't show in public. V-neck instead (and do hair removal if necessary). And the jeans in that picture are terrible.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and that's a pretty one, but for office wear, just two colors (like blue on white) would be safer.

Also, Brooks Brothers has a made-to-measure program for dress shirts (and other items), which would produce a better fit than anything mass-made - for over $100.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, and that's a pretty one, but for office wear, just two colors (like blue on white) would be safer.

Also, Brooks Brothers has a made-to-measure program for dress shirts (and other items), which would produce a better fit than anything mass-made - for over $100.

+1 on the possible made-to-measure ("MTM") suggestion. MTM is a great idea if you're willing to pay a bit more.

The travelling Hong Kong tailors such as Joe Hemrajani with MyTailor can also make a good MTM shirt. It may be worth checking to see if they travel near your area or will be in town. It's best to have a fitting done (If you go into Brooks Brothers for MTM, they will do this as part of the process as will a Hong Kong tailor if you meet in person) but you can always supply your own measurements online with the Hong Kong tailors, get one shirt done and make adjustments until they get it perfect. I suspect that MyTailor will be less expensive than Brooks Brothers MTM based on a few discussions I've had with some people in Brooks Brothers' NY flagship but it can't hurt to get a price quote from Brooks Brothers (I haven't used them personally as I've always felt that CEGO in NYC or MyTailor offered better value so I can't vouch for quality). Perhaps there is a decent local shirtmaker in NC; can't hurt to do a search of StyleForum on that one.

If you go the MTM route, make sure to get shirts with a decent quality cotton. The cheapest MTM options will often involve rather poor quality cloth. The cheapest cloths from MyTailor are pretty bad but once you get to their $80+ range, it gets better.

Last edited:

jkbucksot

Reaction score
Ah ok great. There is a BB near my work. I am sure there has to be something around here because its called the Triad Cities. Three decent sized cities withing 15 mins of each other.

I will be looking around and also asking some guys from work.

Thanks for the info and a possible starting point.

jkbucksot

Reaction score

Jos. A. Bank, Nordstrom, and paulfredrick.com are other possibilities for dress shirts. Branching out to something with checks sounds worthwhile. By the way, re "Blue stripped shirts (one with white collar)," that's probably a French cuff/contrast collar shirt and too dressy for the office.

Also, undershirts shouldn't show in public. V-neck instead (and do hair removal if necessary). And the jeans in that picture are terrible.

I know I don't dress as nicely as I need to now, what kind of jeans would you suggest?. $60~$80 would be an ideal price range to start.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably start simple, with straight-leg, regular fit, plain-wash medium or dark blue Levi's. Not slim fit or baggy. Which specific model depends on how it fits you (try on in person) - but it should fit closer than the jeans in the picture. The color and fit as pictured at http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3183662&&cp=3146842.3146845.3699943.17320296 likely would be good.

Since you're in Greensboro, home of VF, skip the levis and go with Lee or Wrangler.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads