• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issues for a tall, thin chap - What's available?

Valence

Reaction score
I've recently begun to take an active interest in my physical appearance, and, on that note, have attempted to upgrade my wardrobe. However, I've met with some stopping blocks. I'm rather tall and thin (6'5", 180 lbs), and I've been having difficulty finding clothing, primarily because it's too baggy around the waist and in the sides, too short in the sleeves, and pants without long enough inseams. I have long arms and long legs, even for my height (shirt size is a 16.5X38, suit 42LL, and pants 32X38 or 33X38).

These limitations have been frustrating. I've found a few designers that are adequate for my needs, but usually only barely (Armani for pants, a couple Paul Smith and Adam kimmel sweaters, Rogan for jeans, occasionally RLPL), but all too often I'm hugely restricted in my assortment, and the clothes that "fit" are a stretch at that.
My question is this: What designers make clothing suited for someone of my stature? I've searched a variety of stores, usually with no success. Is MTM or bespoke a possible route? or have I merely avoided designers that could conceivably cut long enough?

Thanks

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTM and bespoke is always an option, but even with RTW, I would suggest finding a good alterations tailor that you trust and then bring him everything you have. YOu'd be surprised at how good an alterations tailor can make jackets, shirts, etc. look on you that used to look baggy by taking in some fabric and making them a bit more fitted.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Wow, 38 inseam. I want to know how you are 1 inch taller than me but have 4 inch longer legs.

he probably has longer legs and shorter torso.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
as an extra long with a 10 inch drop, you dont have much of a choice.
you will be shocked at how many choices you have with made to measure.

Valence

Reaction score
Yes. I do have rather long legs, and a fairly short torso. And also, I'm nearly two inches taller, but I usually don't put down 77.85.... inches when I post my height.

So MTM or even bespoke is the way to go, eh?

thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate it.

rxcats

Reaction score
I am only 6'2" and my inseam is 34. I consider myself fairly proportionate. For someone who is nearly 6'6", 38 seams reasonable to me. I also have a 10" drop, so suits off the rack can be tough. I wear a 42L and 32X34 in trousers

Ricardo Jay

Reaction score
What designers make clothing suited for someone of my stature? I've searched a variety of stores, usually with no success. Is MTM or bespoke a possible route? or have I merely avoided designers that could conceivably cut long enough? Thanks
Well if you do decide to go the bespoke route, you can do it online and go pretty stylish at Giorgenti, but you'll have to have some fashion sense to know what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads