• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this parka too large?

How does the parka fit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevenxl

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I don't know much about fashion, but I want to invest in a good jacket to stand up to Chicago winters.

Is the parka below a good fit? I hear parkas are supposed to fit a bit big, but I don't want to look like I'm in a borrowed jacket. The sleeves do bulk up too much. Can that be fixed by a tailor? Thanks!

img01.jpg

img02.jpg

img03.jpg

img04.jpg

paxonus

Reaction score
Speaking from experience as a former Chicagoan, make sure you can wear a few layers under it and still have a little room. If it is too tight, it won't keep you warm. You need the extra room for air circulation.

stevenxl

Reaction score
Speaking from experience as a former Chicagoan, make sure you can wear a few layers under it and still have a little room. If it is too tight, it won't keep you warm. You need the extra room for air circulation.

Hi - thanks for the tip. So what do you think then about how it fits? I'm usually a medium and in the pictures I'm wearing a small.

paxonus

Reaction score
Hi - thanks for the tip. So what do you think then about how it fits? I'm usually a medium and in the pictures I'm wearing a small.
Remember--you aren't buying a suit. How it looks on you is basically irrelevant. When the windchill is 40 below, you won't care how you look. The best thing to do is put on an undershirt, a shirt, and a heavy sweater, and then the jacket. If you are normally a medium, there is no way you should be buying a small. If anything, you might want to buy a large. I wear a 40 suit, and my winter jacket was an XL, and worked very well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads